Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Not a week goes by without a customer coming in to one of our stores to ask about buying or building a road racing car. Most people seem to know what they want, others want some guidance. The former outnumber the latter, though on average both groups seem equally confused about their goals and how to achieve them.

Article%202%20image%20c.jpg

One area of general confusion seems to stem from an understandable source: new racers often come to racing from street car or HPDE experience. With those disciplines, where on-the-limit driving is rare and wheel-wheel competition is essentially nonexistent, the car matters a lot to the excitement on offer. Not only that, but more power is the easiest, clearest path to more excitement, because the dramas of threshold braking and cornering and passing are removed from the equation. The problem is that this street car recipe for fun has almost nothing to do with what is important in wheel-wheel road racing. Wheel-wheel racing generates excitement in an entirely different way than street driving or track days: via the skills required to compete.

Article%202%20image.jpg

We often suggest that new wheel-wheel racers consider Spec Miata. So do many pros and coaches we work with. The new drivers usually listen dutifully, but from the perspective of the street car driver, SM generally doesn't make sense. In a conversation it is hard to cover the full breadth of what makes SM such a good class, so we thought we'd write down our top 10 reasons SM is the best racing class in case a few folks pondering which class to start in are wondering what the fuss is about.

1. Spec Miata can be run competitively in the largest number of racing events (NASA, SCCA and, with the right car, SVRA).

2. Spec Miata is pretty darn affordable as racing goes. No racing is inexpensive, but SM is toward the inexpensive end of the spectrum because the cars are reliable, the parts are pretty cheap and the consumables are relatively affordable.

3. There is a huge market of Spec Miata cars for sale. It is easy to get a car and used cars are pretty inexpensive ($10k and up). A new championship-capable car is under $40k from competent builders.

4. The field in Spec Miata is reliably the largest on any given amateur weekend, and typically is over 20 cars. This means you will have a variety of driver skill levels represented and therefore as a novice and intermediate will almost certainly have someone to race against directly.

5. The competitor skills at the front of the pack are very high. This means you have a way to benchmark yourself that won't lull you into a false sense of security (making you think you are better than you are).

6. SM doesn't offer much opportunity to win with money. Even if someone could figure out how to spend $80k on a Spec Miata, which we doubt, a better driver with a $40k car would usually win.

7. To be fast in Spec Miata, you have to develop skills that transfer well to other classes. No class offers everything, of course (e.g. a non-aero car won't teach you aero brake modulation). But SM teaches you a lot about corner entry and car control and passing skills and starts and running in tight packs. That stuff is useful in every class.

8. The Spec Miata is a relatively stable car (especially NB generation cars), so it builds confidence around the limit. A key task in road racing is to be able to run at the limit, so a car that wants to bite you is either scary or wrecked, and thus not very helpful early on.

9. Spec Miatas are reliable as far as race cars go, which leads to more seat time. Seat time is critical for learning. This seat time benefit is compounded because you can generally race your Spec Miata in two classes, giving you up to 6 races in a weekend.

10. Spec Miatas are the best supported cars in the country. Arrive and drive services? Easy. Spare parts? Easy. Tips on setup? Easy. Someone to build a car? Easy. SM to rent at a distant track? Easy.

Three bonus advantages of SM:

11. The Spec Miata community in the paddock is great. We can say this about some other classes, but simply because of the size of the SM field, you're bound to find some folks to hang out with who you find fun. If you use arrive and drive services, you instantly end up with 4-8 drivers on your "team" which is more than in most classes. And, as in much of racing, the drivers and mechanics are very friendly.

12. Spec Miatas are slow. This means you can drive them well into your career (into your 70s or 80s). Don't try that, if you want to be competitive, in your DP02 (Scott Pruett and Jack Baldwin excepted).

13. Spec Miatas are surprisingly fast. If you want to have some HPDE fun, build your racing chops and then go run with a Z06 on street tires at a track day on a tight circuit in the intermediate group. "Are you sure that thing has 505 hp?"

There are more reasons SM is great. If you've driven SM, feel free to chip in your own favorites in comments.

For information on Winding Road Racing's Spec Miata arrive and drive, coaching, rental and build services.

https://www.windingr...est-racing-car/

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

6. SM doesn't offer much opportunity to win with money. Even if someone could figure out how to spend $80k on a Spec Miata, which we doubt, a better driver with a $40k car would usually win.

6. SM doesn't offer much opportunity to win with money. Even if someone could figure out how to spend $80k on a Spec Miata, which we doubt, a better driver with a $40k car ALWAYS would  win.

fixed that for you

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Someone's stirring the pot.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

simply because of the size of the SM field, you're bound to find some folks to hang out with who you find fun. 

Racing may be full of assholes, but with a field this big, there's gotta be someone in there somewhere that isn't a jerk.  It's like a statistical certainty

• Jason J Ball and Jim Drago like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Amongst the type A's???

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Some of us have had cars that felt like we spent $80K on them and got beat by $20K cars. 

• Jim Drago likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Did the delete monster eat a post. It said something about 1.6's and NA1.8's. :shame:

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I like number 12 i have 10 to 20 years yet.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Did the delete monster eat a post. It said something about 1.6's and NA1.8's. :shame:

tried to make a joke and it started running into another parity thread, so I nipped them :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

IMHO Spec Miata conforms to what I call the HOLY TRINITY OF SUSTAINABLE MOTOR RACING 

1. It is RACING in SLOW MOTION
  2. It is CRASHING in SLOW MOTION
  3. It is SPENDING in SLOW MOTION 

If you violate any one of these legs of the tripod, it becomes unbalanced and unsustainable 

• RacerX, steveracer, Jim Drago and 4 others like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

tried to make a joke and it started running into another parity thread, so I nipped them :)

Great idea, thank you.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

IMHO Spec Miata conforms to what I call the HOLY TRINITY OF SUSTAINABLE MOTOR RACING 

• It is RACING in SLOW MOTION (Unless you have an Autotechnik motor)
  • It is CRASHING in SLOW MOTION (Unless you are John MF Carter)
  • It is SPENDING in SLOW MOTION (You are breaking this rule with all them tires you buy)
If you violate any one of these legs of the tripod, it becomes unbalanced and unsustainable

^^Fixed it for you :P

• Jim Drago, Danny Steyn, Ryan Fisher and 1 other like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

I thought the most important reason to race Spec Miata was to pick up chicks because it's a chick car? LOL

• Danica Davison likes this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I thought the most important reason to race Spec Miata was to pick up chicks because it's a chick car? LOL

How's it working for you? 

• Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and Danica Davison like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Actually not too bad for an old fat bald guy..........LOL "Yea baby, I race cars"  Her:"Really? What kind?' Me:"MX5"  Her: "Is that a Porsche?".......LOL

• Jim Drago, Todd Green, Danica Davison and 1 other like this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Actually not too bad for an old fat bald guy..........LOL "Yea baby, I race cars"  Her:"Really? What kind?' Me:"MX5"  Her: "Is that a Porsche?".......LOL

I need to start saying "MX-5"

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I need to start saying "MX-5"

I always say.. I race spec mx5's.. the next question is how fast do they go.. faster than me most times :)

• MotoFusi likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Lets get our story straight with all these details. Ok, MX-5..

"I pass Porsche, BMW's and Corvettes in the twisty bits" that's how fast my car is. :)

J~

• Ryan Fisher and MotoFusi like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

I just say I race a Miata. When they say "Isn't that a chick car?" I reply "Come for a ride, we'll see who screams like a bitch..."

• Dave Cox, Jason J Ball, Jim Drago and 1 other like this

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Raw Knuckles

Raw Knuckles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Neohio SCCA
  • Car Number:73

I like number 12 i have 10 to 20 years yet.

I'm with you Frank!

Bob MacDonald

Raw Knuckles Racing

Neohio Region SCCA

Impact Communications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users