colinlucas

colinlucas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Hey everyone!

Looking for some advice as to what went wrong and steps to correct:

99 Miata

Last weekend we ran the 3 hour enduro and the next day ran a 30 min sprint race.

After the enduro we did a dyno and came out with 108hp with the restrictor in place (120 without). This is an engine that had done 120hp in a previous build. Car was rebuilt about 4 race hours ago with new rods / pistons after suffering failure from broken water hose.

3/4 of the way through the sprint race we heard what sounded like bearing noise and retired.

Pulled the engine and found:

- Metal shavings in oil pan

- Bent connecting rod

- Bearings on same rod turned into splinters

- All other bearings / rods / pistons looked fine

- 1.5 quarts of oil left in the pan.

- No obvious oil leaks anywhere on the engine

- Valves looked OK visually, left it with the machine shop to verify

- Cylinder walls looked fine

- Crankshaft took enough damage to be put out to pasture

Just ordered the oil pressure / water temp gauge kit from advanced-auto. Trying to figure out where the oil went (bad rings?) and any additional next steps to take (Fuel / Air gauge?)

Colin

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:35
Hi Colin

Mazda had an issue with the seat in the block for the thrust bearings. For sure it was in the 99 miatas and there is info on it on the internet. I'm wondering if that was a possibility in your motor. Checking endplay on the crankshaft before rebuilding is a way to check for this issue. The problem I think was caused by incorrect machining of the thrust washer seats on the block. I had a friend who bought a used Miata only to find tons of metal flings in the oil which is a sign of the problem. Based on what you said it sounds like you are going to need a new motor. If you are going to re use the block, it might be wise to consider the thrust bearing as an issue and start with another motor.

Hope this helps

Cal

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I am not an engine builder!!!!

99% of the time when a fresh Miata engine (really any fresh engine) fails, it is an error in assembly. Bearing clearance, out of round rod, dirt, wrong torque, etc.

Anyone can assemble a motor in 4-5 hours. There is a reason any professional engine builder takes 25-30 hours to build a motor. The work is all in the details.

Again, I don't build engines. When I see a piston, it is a BAD DAY.

Dave

• lillyweld likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

^^^^Zero claim of any expertise but I will disagree with you Dave...at least on the 99% fault claim. I do agree there has to be a percentage of "assembly" failures but I think there are other reasons for failures that have nothing to do with the engine builder but everything to do with what happens after that motor has been Installed! OR.....original design??

The most common reason we end up with donor cars is an OEM rod knock or complete failure...always #3 or #4 cylinder! The last 5 NB cars I picked up had this problem and mileage was from 70 k to 200k. Lack of maintenance? Maybe but I'm convinced there is some weak point in the design that helps this. Though I can speculate with my limited knowledge that's all it would be...just speculation. My 65k OEM bottom end #4 rod bearing/rod/piston failed catastrophically after 5 years of racing! This I accepted!

Break in procedure, break in oil, oil, fuel mixture(lean), water temp, over rev, fuel(low octane)...combinations of these and a lack of knowledge or paying attention to these are reasons it is difficult in my mind to lay it back on the builder...even if that is the easiest thing to do!!

I dont think there is a motor builder out there that hasnt had this specific failure that started this thread. For a period of time many were blaming the quality of the rod bearings that Mazda was supplying...no idea if that was ever proven or changed?

It would be an incredible public service if someone wants to share any info they have on why we see so many #4 hole failures(#3 also but less) and possible procedures to avoid this?????

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I am not an engine builder!!!!

99% of the time when a fresh Miata engine (really any fresh engine) fails, it is an error in assembly. Bearing clearance, out of round rod, dirt, wrong torque, etc.

Anyone can assemble a motor in 4-5 hours. There is a reason any professional engine builder takes 25-30 hours to build a motor. The work is all in the details.

Again, I don't build engines. When I see a piston, it is a BAD DAY.

Dave

On weekend one.. if not obvious install issue which is abundant as well ... I would knock the number down to 90-95% and agree :)

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Ron, I am not talking about 70k mile street motors or 5 year old race motors. My statement is simply about 3 hour old race motors.

In the past 15 years of experience with SM motors, I have had a single, fresh motor failure from a pro builder. This includes X-Factor, ESR, Stewart and Rossini. Yet I have seen multiple fresh motor failures from individual builders. Some of whom have been professional engine builders (of the V8 kind).

Could it have been abuse (over rev) lack of oil (I call that abuse also) poor break in procedure (I blame that on the engine builder not specifying or the installer not completing his job), or poor quality of parts (engine builders choice)

I will stand by my statement that when a fresh engine goes bad, it almost always a builder issue

• Jim Drago and Erik Hardy like this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Public Service Announcement for Salvage Yard Miata Engines:

My clutch interlock switch will have a bypass. Start engine without pushing pedal to floor. Yes, I understand Pro motors shouldn't be an issue, this'll be a bit of thrust bearing longevity.

Life is a continuous learning lesson. :bigsquaregrin:

http://www.solomiata...ingfailure.html

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Ron, I am not talking about 70k mile street motors or 5 year old race motors. My statement is simply about 3 hour old race motors.

In the past 15 years of experience with SM motors, I have had a single, fresh motor failure from a pro builder. This includes X-Factor, ESR, Stewart and Rossini. Yet I have seen multiple fresh motor failures from individual builders. Some of whom have been professional engine builders (of the V8 kind).

Could it have been abuse (over rev) lack of oil (I call that abuse also) poor break in procedure (I blame that on the engine builder not specifying or the installer not completing his job), or poor quality of parts (engine builders choice)

I will stand by my statement that when a fresh engine goes bad, it almost always a builder issue

Better said and understood!  And I will agree first day on dyno, first day on track I to would look to the builder! But at some point early on the potential for things outside a builders control become more and more of a potential.

Maybe the very common bearing failure(be it 500 or 200k miles) is for a different thread...but is there in fact is an inherent weak point? 

Ron

RAmotorsports

OctaneNation

OctaneNation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Any crap left in the oiling system from the previous engine trauma?

colinlucas

colinlucas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Any crap left in the oiling system from the previous engine trauma?

Thank you all for the suggestions thus far. The engine is with the machine shop and I should know if any of the "something stuck open / clearances" opinions are correct by this weekend. 

This build was with a new oil pump / strainer direct from Mazda. We were extremely careful with the build using only Mazda supplied parts / gaskets. 

Break in was to run it at 2500 rpm for 10 min with non synthetic, replace oil/filter, repeat. Then use mazda filter / RP oil. Ill be switching to Schaeffer 20/50 for the final oil this time around.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Again, I am not an engine builder, but here is my break in procedure

Start engine, warm to operating temp. Non synthetic oil, I like Rotella diesal oil

change oil and filter, cut filter to inspect. Rotella again

break in on dyno for at least 1 hour, varying speeds.

Cool to room temp, run for 20 minutes on dyno

Do baseline tuning, light timing and a little rich

Run one day, 2-4 sessions on track. low revs first session. Carefull of no over revs.

Change oil to your favorite synthetic race oil

Dyno for "final" tune.

If you only ran 20 minutes on break in oil then went to RP (Royal Purple???) you would have never gotten the rings to seal. Remeber these rings are street car rings. They do not seat in a few minites. They are designed for 200,000 miles.

Maybe one of the engine builders will give their procedures

Dave

• Ron Alan likes this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

^^^ Just a note on using a heavier oil at start up on the 1st gen motors...it may take awhile and some temp to get the HLA's to pump up!

Dave...on your first step are you just letting it idle up to temp or are you taking the rpm's up and down a little?

• Justin Casey likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

colinlucas

colinlucas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Again, I am not an engine builder, but here is my break in procedure

Start engine, warm to operating temp. Non synthetic oil, I like Rotella diesal oil

change oil and filter, cut filter to inspect. Rotella again

break in on dyno for at least 1 hour, varying speeds.

Cool to room temp, run for 20 minutes on dyno

Do baseline tuning, light timing and a little rich

Run one day, 2-4 sessions on track. low revs first session. Carefull of no over revs.

Change oil to your favorite synthetic race oil

Dyno for "final" tune.

If you only ran 20 minutes on break in oil then went to RP (Royal Purple???) you would have never gotten the rings to seal. Remeber these rings are street car rings. They do not seat in a few minites. They are designed for 200,000 miles.

Maybe one of the engine builders will give their procedures

Dave

Sorry, not 10 min each. 10 min first run and 1 hour second run with varying RPMs. RP = Royal Purple. But I completely agree with you looking back that this was not enough time with non synthetic oil. Any recommendations for Dynos near the Pasadena, CA area? 

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

up-down, no load 3000 rpm max

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

colinlucas

colinlucas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Dave, to interpret, that would be for the "varying RPMs" after the first oil change?

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

^^^ Just a note on using a heavier oil at start up on the 1st gen motors...it may take awhile and some temp to get the HLA's to pump up!

Dave...on your first step are you just letting it idle up to temp or are you taking the rpm's up and down a little?

Answering this question ^^^^^^

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Car Year:1990

Sorry, not 10 min each. 10 min first run and 1 hour second run with varying RPMs. RP = Royal Purple. But I completely agree with you looking back that this was not enough time with non synthetic oil. Any recommendations for Dynos near the Pasadena, CA area? 

BISIMOTO in Ontario does really good work and has a degree in chemical engineering.  We have lots of hours on his Dynapacks. 

http://bisimoto.com/2015/

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
How long and under what conditions it takes to seat rings depends in large part on the cylinder hone and ring tension, (and ring material and design though we should all be the same there). That said, I disagree with the break in procedures stated above. I did a lengthy post on this years ago and it received an endorsement from someone from Mazda Comp. The short description is Tough Love, and You get only 1 chance to make a good first impression. The good news is that it doesn't impact the probability of infant mortality so look elsewhere for the cause of catastrophic failures.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

Warm it up and check for leaks, then go twist it's tail HARD. WOT 3rd & 4th gear-lots of load and let it coast down to 2k-3k rpm in 3rd then do it again 8-10 times.

Pressure and vacuum sets rings...IMHO.

Haven't had a dog or a smoker doing it this way and longevity is good also. Worth what you paid for it...

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

How long and under what conditions it takes to seat rings depends in large part on the cylinder hone and ring tension, (and ring material and design though we should all be the same there). That said, I disagree with the break in procedures stated above. I did a lengthy post on this years ago and it received an endorsement from someone from Mazda Comp. The short description is Tough Love, and You get only 1 chance to make a good first impression. The good news is that it doesn't impact the probability of infant mortality so look elsewhere for the cause of catastrophic failures.

Re-post the endorsed version!

Ron

RAmotorsports

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users