DevinE

DevinE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:091

Hello,

I am new to the SM community and I am searching for a used/already built SM for next season.  I enjoy the SM community and sporting aspect of the group.  I have been doing HPDEs the last two years and it always appears as though the SM guys are having the most amount of fun and there is a lot of collaboration on racecraft.  I'm in my 40s, I enjoy  turning wrenches and I have also done various restorations on my MGA and other vehicles.  My family is also supportive of the SM pursuit!

I've been searching through the forums, trying to compile all the data.  I have also engaged some SM guys at different HPDE events.  Unfortunately, none of these SM guys that I engaged are local.  Any advice would be appreciated, since I am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of data out there.  

I'm in the process of arranging a SM rental for a future event at Summit.

I would like to hear from anyone local in Maryland that would care to provide some direction.  I have been focusing on getting a 1.6L SM.  My current car has too much HP and I feel as though I missing those key learning points (no, it's not a Corvette).  I'm open to any suggestions and would like to meet some local guys.  While I live in Ellicott City/Howard county, I often travel through Carroll, Harford, Montgomery, Frederick, Baltimore, Prince Georges and Anne Arundel Counties for work.

My focus areas:

Hearing about lessons learned

Recommendations on the different SMs

Trailer selection

General info

I am very open to information and I realize that I have a lot to learn.

-Devin

• mdavis likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Welcome Devin, a lot guys and ladies here. A lot of knowledge and support. I'm sure some will chim in. There's always the search feature upper right.

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Welcome to the madness Devin - you will find it totally addictive! 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Devin,
Welcome to SM. And, in the SCCA DC area, SMM, which is what I and a lot of people in this area are into. The 1.6L cars are mostly now in SSM, with reduced costs for tires and initial set-up, very competitive--50 cars in the opening day race this year. The 1.8L cars are more competitive in SM and ITA, slightly fewer cars in SM than SSM. Anyway, this forum is a great place to learn. You should get to know Bret at RP Performance at Summit Pt. and Chris at Windsor Customs in Thurmond, they both rent and sell good cars and have years of experience. Anyway, I live in the Gaithersburg area, feel free to PM me if you want to come over and talk.
- John
  • DevinE likes this

DevinE

DevinE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi Devin,
Welcome to SM. And, in the SCCA DC area, SMM, which is what I and a lot of people in this area are into. The 1.6L cars are mostly now in SSM, with reduced costs for tires and initial set-up, very competitive--50 cars in the opening day race this year. The 1.8L cars are more competitive in SM and ITA, slightly fewer cars in SM than SSM. Anyway, this forum is a great place to learn. You should get to know Bret at RP Performance at Summit Pt. and Chris at Windsor Customs in Thurmond, they both rent and sell good cars and have years of experience. Anyway, I live in the Gaithersburg area, feel free to PM me if you want to come over and talk.
- John

Thanks John, I reached out to both RP and Windsor Customs.  I will send PM to you shortly, thanks again for the support.

-Devin

Bi11

Bi11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Florida

GET OUT NOW! BEFORE ITS TO LATE

• dstevens, Brandon and Danica Davison like this

Raw Knuckles

Raw Knuckles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Neohio SCCA
  • Car Number:73

Welcome Devin, you might reach out to Mike Collins at Meathead Racing.  He works out of Summit Point and helped me out recently when i was racing there.  There are also some good folks at Planet Miata in Pennsylvania.

Bob MacDonald

Raw Knuckles Racing

Neohio Region SCCA

Impact Communications

bdavissi

bdavissi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1983
Hello Devin. My name is Brandon and I crew and race with RP performance. I also happen to work in Ellicott City and live by BWI. I can definitely give you some information and may have a car for sale if you are interested. Since you are in the DC region the best racing is the regional SSM class for 1.6 cars. Limited horsepower and cheap maintenance on the vehicles. Tires are Toyo RA1's and they wear like iron. We usually have about 45 to 50 cars a weekend. So there is always someone to race with.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

I live in Woodbine... I'm 10 minutes away... send me a message... or two or three... Somedays I get a ton....

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10
Welcome to the club! You will love it! Best advice I could give ... don't listen to anything i say. And especially don't listen to Danny :)
  • Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and Spencer Rutherford like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Welcome to the club! You will love it! Best advice I could give ... don't listen to anything i say. And especially don't listen to Danny :)

The order list for the FUJD stickers just keeps getting longer! 😁
  • Mike Collins, Jim Drago, Danica Davison and 1 other like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Bi11

Bi11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:Florida

The order list for the FUJD stickers just keeps getting longer! 😁

I want a sticker

• Danica Davison likes this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

The order list for the FUJD stickers just keeps getting longer!

http://whendiddannylastwin.com

The counter keeps getting longer too ;)
  • dstevens, RacerX, Jim Drago and 2 others like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

http://whendiddannylastwin.com

The counter keeps getting longer too ;)

If you are as dedicated to winning the Runoffs as screwing with Danny, I am in big trouble of losing some serious money :) 

• Danny Steyn, Danica Davison and Spencer Rutherford like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

If you are as dedicated to winning the Runoffs as screwing with Danny, I am in big trouble of losing some serious money :)

Before you need worry about that ^ John would need to beat Danny and then Danny's kids. :bigsquaregrin:

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DevinE

DevinE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for everyones support.  I ended up purchasing an SSM last month in a package deal.  This SSM was originally Tom Disque's #42 car.  

I was able to go out on Summit Main this past weekend and the car did really well.  I'm looking forward to growing my skills and knowledge with the community.

091 SSM
Album: SSM - Phoenix
1 images
0 comments

• Danny Steyn and Danica Davison like this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
Welcome to the club. Just about every question you can think of has come up on this site. Search that content. We are all happy to give you our opinions, as you will soon see.
Smart move by doing a rental, it helps you understand some of what you will be reading. Just let us know how we can help.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Before you need worry about that ^ John would need to beat Danny and then Danny's kids. :bigsquaregrin:

hahaha just saw this. Dear god, please tell me Daniel doesn't have kids. Because you are right, they probably would still beat me .... but, we would all lap you ... soooo :P

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

hahaha just saw this. Dear god, please tell me Daniel doesn't have kids. Because you are right, they probably would still beat me .... but, we would all lap you ... soooo :P

Ya know John, "WE" is a very large word, just like "IF", soooo :bigsquaregrin:

• Danica Davison likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

John my friend, I have two daughters, and two grandsons. So how does if feel getting your ass handed to you every weekend by a grandpa?. That must sting!!!! :banana:

• Mike Collins and Keith Williamson like this

Danny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users