- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Dr. Jeff Gaver at Road America has been recording medically coded data for every person getting treated at the track's care center.  When I asked him if he had been doing it long enough to see any trends (this was a decade ago,) he said yes, there is a noticeable correlation between the increased use of head and neck restraints and a reduction in the frequency and severity of head and spinal injuries.

A study done by a single researcher, covering all events at a single track over a span of years could well yield some interesting data.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Two incidents stand out for me, both at events I was entered at Mid-Ohio. First, a driver spun in his own oil, blown engine, and was t-boned by another car. The driver that spun died. Second, a driver hit the guardrail exiting the carousel. He suffered a traumatic brain injury that has taken years to recover from.

If you don't think you can get hurt or killed in club racing you are a fool.
  • Jim Drago, Mike Colangelo and Danica Davison like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:13

Someone saw me get in my car with my FIA certified carbon/kevlar open face helmet and immediately starting berating me for not protecting my face.  I later showed them a study that showed the number of fatalities caused by impacts (roll cage bars and steering wheels) torquing the chin bar and separating the C1 cervical spine causing immediate death.  I also demonstrated my complete inability to find a single auto injury, (where the occupant was wearing a helmet) that caused severe facial injury or vision loss in an enclosed sports car.  Sometimes the apparent is apparently wrong...  It is my understanding that the professional organizations started mandating enclosed helmets because they also mandate air supply systems to reduce the incidence of carbon dioxide and monoxide poisoning. 

Fires were also a huge part in mandating full face helmets. Every injury that I have heard of from a full face helmet also included the use of a factory air bag that made impact with the helmet. Just for sharing knowledge, I would like to see the study that shows closed face helmets are more dangerous than open face.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

Kudos to Dr. Olvey for his work.  If any of you have his contact information please message me.  Concussion management is a work in progress.  I'd be interested to hear his thoughts about a protocol for club racers that is practical.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

Fires were also a huge part in mandating full face helmets. Every injury that I have heard of from a full face helmet also included the use of a factory air bag that made impact with the helmet. Just for sharing knowledge, I would like to see the study that shows closed face helmets are more dangerous than open face.

Nobody said they are more dangerous.  The point is, there is no free ride.  The study merely cited several incidences of C1 fractures caused by a force on the chin bar that separated the spinal cord from the brain stem.  This always results in death.

I don't have much time today to cut and paste research, but here is a single incident that demonstrates the dangers of a full face helmet.

Cooter, R.D., David, D.J., McLean, A.J., & Simpson, D.A. (1988). Helmet-induced skull base fracture in motorcyclist. The Lancet, 8577, 84-85.

Abstract
Purpose & Study Population. Case study of a 19-year-old male motorcyclist who fell from his motorcycle at an intersection, slid along the road, and struck the front of his helmet on the edge of a curb, resulting in unconsciousness, blood flow from the ear canals, and death, despite the apparent absence of facial damage.

Data & Methods. Radiology (CT scan) of both head and helmet, plus necropsy of victim, focusing on head.

Results & Conclusion. Observations suggested that the face bar of a full-face helmet may transmit an impacting force to the skull base via the chin strap and the mandibular rami and condyles, bypassing the energy-absorbing facial bones. If this mechanism is confirmed, the structural properties of these face bars will need to be reassessed.

Strengths
Both the victim and the helmet were examined thoroughly using CT scans and other methods.

The authors make appropriately modest recommendations. They suggest only a reassessment of the structural properties of the face bar; they do not question the overall value of helmets in general or of full-face helmets in particular.

Weaknesses
The medical conclusion is somewhat speculative - as the authors implicitly acknowledge when they suggest the need for confirmation of their proposed injury mechanism. We, as economists, are not qualified to evaluate the medical theory, but several researchers who have looked into the hypothesis of injury from full-face helmets have discredited the theory. (See, for example: Thom, D.R. & Hurt, H.H. (1993). Basilar Skull Fractures in Fatal Motorcycle Crashes. 37th Annual Proceedings, AAAM, 61-76. An evaluation of Cooter et al. appears on page 65.)

Even if the proposed injury mechanism is correct for this one case, it is difficult to draw more general inferences from a single case, especially in light of the unusual way the injury occurred. Perhaps the crash was unsurvivable, and in the absence of the face bar, the victim would have may died when his chin or throat hit the curb. Moreover, even if the face bars of full-face helmets were responsible for occasional deaths, it is possible that they might save even more lives. The present article gives no way to evaluate the aggregate impact of the face bar.

Goldstein, J.P. (1986). The effect of motorcycle helmet use on the probability of fatality and the severity of head and neck injuries: A latent variable framework. Evaluation Review 10(3), 355-375.

Excerpt from another study:

The transfer of impact energy through helmet retention systems, causing brain stem tearing and basal skull fractures, has been noted as the mechanism of injury in a number of studies. (A blow to the chin bar of a full face helmet transfers the impact energy to the retention system. The force is then transferred through the mandibular condials to the base of the skull, its weakest point.) Frontal impact causing hyperextension of the neck is also likely in causing cervical dislocation and placing traction on the brain stem, resulting in tearing of the pontomedullary junction. The pons is relatively thick compared to the medulla. It is at the thin point of the junction that the tearing occurs.

D.A. Simpson, et al noted that of thirteen helmeted motorcyclists, nine had principal impacts to the chin bar or face causing tears of the pontomedullary junction. Four who suffered either vertex or lateral impacts had corresponding brain stem tears. The mechanism is postulated to be similar to that of frontal impacts.

The transfer of impact energy through helmet retention systems, causing brain stem tearing and basal skull fractures, has been noted as the mechanism of injury in a number of studies. (A blow to the chin bar of a full face helmet transfers the impact energy to the retention system. The force is then transferred through the mandibular condials to the base of the skull, its weakest point.) Frontal impact causing hyperextension of the neck is also likely in causing cervical dislocation and placing traction on the brain stem, resulting in tearing of the pontomedullary junction. The pons is relatively thick compared to the medulla. It is at the thin point of the junction that the tearing occurs.

D.A. Simpson, et al noted that of thirteen helmeted motorcyclists, nine had principal impacts to the chin bar or face causing tears of the pontomedullary junction. Four who suffered either vertex or lateral impacts had corresponding brain stem tears. The mechanism is postulated to be similar to that of frontal impacts.

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121
Injuries in professional motor car racing drivers at a racing circuit between 1996 and 2000

4 years of empirical data from accidents at Fuji speedway.  These events were recorded during professional racing in Japan.  I understand it is not quite as competitive as Professional MX racing in South Africa, but close according to world famous racing driver Danny Steyn

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/38/5/613

• Danica Davison and luvin_the_rings like this

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Injuries in professional motor car racing drivers at a racing circuit between 1996 and 2000

4 years of empirical data from accidents at Fuji speedway.  These events were recorded during professional racing in Japan.  I understand it is not quite as competitive as Professional MX racing in South Africa, but close according to world famous racing driver Danny Steyn

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/38/5/613

Oh my!!!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Go BIG (letters) or go home. :)

J~

• Danica Davison likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Car Year:1990

This stuff makes me want to quit my job and go to medical school. 

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59

Interesting discussion.  As with much of racing, physics cannot be ignored.  When a human body, travelling at 100 mph, rapidly decelerates to 0, all that energy has to go somewhere.  We have extensive experience with injuries from motor vehicle crashes on highways, which has taught us several things: being ejected from the vehicle increases your risk of death dramatically.  Solid organs (liver, spleen) are often torn.  The aorta can be damaged, and can result in fatal internal bleeding several days later.  Then, of course, are the head and neck injuries.

We are living in an age of growing awareness of the cumulative effects of "mild" concussion, spurred largely by professional (American) football.  Though improved helmet design and HANS devices can help prevent some injuries, and minimize the damage in other cases, there's no getting around the fact that our bodies don't like the kinds of double-digit g forces some crashes can generate.  On the other hand, we are all going to die of something someday, so have fun with the time you have.  "Life is a sexually transmitted disease that is uniformly fatal".

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

This devise has been in study for a couple years, very interesting.

http://www.cbsnews.c...pired-by-birds/

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59

Woodpeckers prevent brain injury by wrapping their tongues around their necks?  Why did I not know this?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

^  :noidea:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Wolfgang

Wolfgang

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
It's easy to draw false conclusions from such minimal data.

Not to belittle the dangers of concussions or this conversation, please note that Mr. Sweeney raced Spec Racer Fords for many years, suffered IIRC seven concussions during his many successful years of racing. I don't know how his car was set up, however only recently did SRF drivers start to use full containment seats, which is limited by SCCA-E to two expensive brands and/or foam inserts. The stock fiberglass seat is still allowed by SCCA-E and IMHO dangerous when used alone in a car that can reach 140mph. There is significant space between the driver's head, and the roll bar, allowing for acceleration of the head before impact. The shoulders and torso are not restrained.

Drivers should be aware that SNELL and FIA are MINIMUM standards. A $200 helmet is not as good as a $800 one, there's a reason you see F1 drivers wearing Arai or Schuberth helmets.
  • Danica Davison likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users