15 replies to this topic

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

Hello veterans,

I just completed my first two races after getting my competition license this weekend. I was able to qualify in front of a few cars. Unfortunately I already got sandwiched on green flag and now my car is damaged.

I'm looking for some advice on green flag starts when the guy behind you is last and is able to hang back and jump the green to launch past you. What is the best way to deal with this? After the race he blamed me for not giving him racing room, and I did indeed have to turn down a bit because the guy on my left was moving down (he was on grid next to me so we started side by side).

I have a video of it here (jump to around 14:05) : https://www.facebook...32604810276177/

This is at Brainerd International Raceway going in to turn 1 where there is a Walmart parking lot worth of pavement, but that doesn't help if there are cars all around you...

I just want to improve so I can race safely and keep contact to a minimum, so criticism is welcome. 

http://jenkinsracing.com

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

The old saw: "you can't win the race in the first turn but you can sure lose it."

This is an unfortunate result of racing in the "kill zone". Best way to deal with it is to qualify a lot higher than the wingnuts. Also helps to have a spotter on a radio calling the green for you. (even better for full-course yellow restarts)

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Can't help you without a better camera.  Otherwise, don't be in the middle of a three wide if you can help it.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:35
As a guy who has had most of his starts near the back I feel like I have something helpful to say. It looks to me like you were clipped and turned by the guy on your right who initially pulled up and then was slightly behind you. If I were in a similar situation I would have not gone for the corner and closed the door on him. Yes even though I technically could, I know that if I leave him room it takes him off my worry list and allows me to focus on what's going on in front of me. I may be mis interpreting what I saw and if I am, just disregard it. I think the mentality near the back of the pack, IMHO, should be that we are all going to allow for some leeway in terms of room and actions around one another. I have learned that if I am starting near the back that one or two or three positions does not matter to me. The biggest challenge is to use the race to learn what I need to do to qualify higher next time. Above all, have fun with the racing.
  • Adax and Danica Davison like this

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

You really didn't do anything wrong. Unfortunately, you are back there where there are a lot of inexperienced drivers. The best advice I can give you is to be cautious and give the more aggressive drivers as much space (and positions) as they want. You are not going to win from where you started so don't try. Keep your car in one piece and keep gaining seat time. If you work at it hard enough you will eventually find yourself among drivers that have more experience and life will get much better. Just remember to get to the front you have to work at it. None of us just jumped into an SM and started winning races.

• Danica Davison likes this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

basically reiterating what Jamie and Callum said above ... it didn't look like anything was really your fault from what I can see. Unfortunately, anything from about 10th to 25th is the "Kill zone".  You have the guys that qualify 15th that think they are too fast for that position and try to gain 10 spots on the start.  What happens is ... those guys eventually fall right back to where they started in throughout the race because they don't belong there ... so you are more than likely going to be able to get those positions back.  My advice is just like above, give those guys room and let them go .. you will probably get them back anyways in a lap or two.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Your camera and or mount needs some work. Can't tell too much from what you posted.

I tell all my newbies to know what is around you. If the car is not visible in your mirrors it has not disappeared. It is either below or above you, not good either way. Or it is next to you, the most likely scenario. Leave enough room so the other car can stay on the race track.

The body damage costs will always exceed the price of the plastic trophy.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Also, cut the first 14 minutes from your video. 😉
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Sorry for the camera, I know it isn't the best. It was an experiment where I was using my iPhone 6 and Facebook Live so that my family could watch the in-car video in near real time. My GoPros would be a lot better quality, but it isn't live. ;)  So far I have not found a way to edit FB Live videos.

I think you guys are correct. I saw the guy to my right, then I saw him drop back and figured he gave up on his run. This was a noob mistake and I should have assumed he was still there, even though I don't know why he would leave his nose in there...

Thanks for the comments.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

IMO, you held back from queuing at the start pretty late as well. If you want people behind you queued up nicely then you have to queue up early and nice as well.You being queued nice and early also highlights to the starter and officials when people behind you are not and try to get a run on people by hanging back. Ive seen this so many times and never understand why the the back has such a hard time with queuing at the start.

• Alberto and Todd Green like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Camera isn't quality...just position...6" higher. Should be able to see a little of your hood and the rear from your mirror. In my cars the rear view mirror is positioned so you see out the back and out the right side of the car(blind spot). If you can see yourself in the mirror...i dont think it is ideal. Position driver mirror to see blind spot.

At first I thought the car to the left came across your nose...but maybe your reaction to it caused the contact on your right. Regardless...In NASA the car to you right would be at fault as it had not established a position. SCCA  would be a racing incident :(  unless you clearly drove him off the track being clueless. Is the corner you are coming to a right or left hander? 

But to your point...ALL drivers need to close up at starts. Never goes well with gaps and drivers 1/2 car to right or left!

• Danny Steyn likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Paul44

Paul44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:IA
  • Car Number:44

Greg was in your blind spot on the right rear.  I've added a convex mirror to the rollcage which gives me better vision in that blind spot on the right rear.  I was the car directly in front of you on the start.  I only saw the result of the contact in my rear view mirror, not the incident itself.  The right side of the track does narrow as you go into corner 1 at Brainerd.  I can't say whether there was any room left to his right or if he was over as far as he could go.

I'll echo the thoughts that you may give up a little on the starts if someone really wants that spot to avoid body damage.  I know that I upset someone who tried to pass in the middle at Blackhawk Farms coming out of corner 1.  I was on the outside and didn't see him coming between the car on the inside and me.  After that incident I added the convex mirror.  for me, starts are the scariest part of the race because you may be held up by the cars in front and the cars behind perceive an opportunily to pass.

Hope that I see you at the track again.  And queing up at the start is hard.  The later the cars in front wait to que up, the later the back of the field can get into position.  

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I didn't watch the video, just going off what you said....

Starting in the correct gear is important, at the bottom of the power band so you can floor it for a while and then shift. At least in a torquey 1.8.

Like what was said Que up asap but... if you see them playing games to get a run you, you could play the same game and back off, bringing them up to you just before the start.

But don't cause a accident though. Some just back off to not get involved though.

Make a clean start if far more important. It's likely those around you will get tired, make a mistake, go two wide with others slowing them down.

Look for the opportunity, they will come.

Qual better (from more practice/track time/coaching), improve your race craft, etc.

Good luck

Have fun.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Number:35
When you qualify, find out who the drivers are around you and say hi to them in the paddock. Or if you are gridded early enough, go over to them in the car and shake their hands and wish them luck. We all have lives outside of the hobby and the prize for most is knowing we are finishing based on skill, not luck or tricks.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

When you qualify, find out who the drivers are around you and say hi to them in the paddock. Or if you are gridded early enough, go over to them in the car and shake their hands and wish them luck.

:)

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Good advice about queuing up better. BIR has two ninety degree corners right before this short straight away so I will have to really pay attention to keep it tight at the start.

I'm not sure if I will make it back to BIR for the July race. I will look closer at the car this week, but I don't think the door can be salvaged. The hit was hard enough to tear the door hinge mounting points so I will probably have to check alignment and make sure nothing got bent. Thanks again, all these tips are great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users