Photo

Poll: Desoto Speedway SM Money Race

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Short Track Racing in SM? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you honestly consider running this race?

1. Yes - Do it for Dale! (17 votes [70.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.83%

2. No (3 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Won't be in Florida (4 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Ok so you can go to scca or NASA and not have a problem with paying that price,and get a trophy, but won't pay it to have a chance to win 3 to 4 k

The cost to rent and operate a roadcourse is wildly different than a tiny bullring.  Not to mention there's no front gate revenue to speak of at the road course.

Drivers should be getting in for free if they start the main, not paying $300.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

The cost to rent and operate a roadcourse is wildly different than a tiny bullring.  Not to mention there's no front gate revenue to speak of at the road course.

Drivers should be getting in for free if they start the main, not paying $300.

How about letting the free market decide?  Owner can charge whatever they want and the competitors can decide to enter or not.

Personally I think a SM oval track series could be very popular if done such that the cars don't get all torn up and run on tracks larger than a half-mile. 

• Preston Pardus likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

How about letting the free market decide?  Owner can charge whatever they want and the competitors can decide to enter or not.

Personally I think a SM oval track series could be very popular if done such that the cars don't get all torn up and run on tracks larger than a half-mile. 

My warning people they are "talent" not customers when doing oval isn't going to prevent the promoter from charging a fair back gate fee.  Just means that ripping them off just got harder.  Sorry not sorry if that causes you heartburn.

But absolutely, I'd love to see an SM oval series run on half mile tracks.  Just not with the wrong promoter.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

cory23

cory23

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:cfr
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23
Would it make you happy if everything was free and no pay out?
  • Danica Davison likes this

Greg Kimble

Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:9

Sounds like fun, can we have beer in the car?

Greg

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Car Number:10

Sounds like fun, can we have beer in the car?

Greg

You think we are gonna do this shit sober?! Lol. Gibbons will have crown and ginger in his water jug

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

He must be one of them cali lefties that want everything for free.

#MakeSMgreatAgain

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Not sure, but that's a much better deal for the performers in the show than what's currently proposed.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Not sure, but that's a much better deal for the performers in the show than what's currently proposed.

If you aren't in the top 3 of 30 the answer is probably yes.  Free entry and none of your money goes to your competitors.  I personally think that I could win and would be willing to put my money up.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

I made a post about the race. No short track is going to let you in for free. First, they have to pay insurance. Then, they have to pay workers. Then, they have to pay electric bill. Get the picture??

Short tracks do not make that much off the front gate. Normally costs $10 to get in for weekly show. They make more off concessions. Most also charge to get into the pits including drivers. Fee is usually $25. What they do not normally charge is an entry fee. But, the normal purse for a non late model race is less than $1000 total. So, if you guys want to do a purse, I suggest you appoint an individual to collect an agreed entry fee from each entrant and pay the purse. For obvious reasons, cash.  I'd suggest you pay a percentage to each position and pay all positions. Say, 1st 25%, 2nd 15%, 3rd 10%, 4th 8%, 5th 6%, 6th 5%, 7th 4%, 8th 3%, 9th 2% and all others 1%. That's gives you 30 positions payout. A $300 entry fee with 30 entries means the winner collects $2250 while 30th gets $90.

Several of you have made comments about consumption of beverages. I can guarantee you this will get you tossed from the facility as will any bad behavior. Arguing with officials will not be tolerated. And fighting will get you a ride to the county lock up.

As I said before, Desoto Speedway is one of the few tracks around where this will work well. Since the pits are outside the track, there's plenty of room to park everyone late. Most short track events start about noon with practice and qualifying all day and races starting about 7 PM. This allows all time to get there from Sebring, get signed in, parked and a practice session. They use AMB transponders so timing would need your transponder #. Qualifying could be knock out with 5 minutes for all and two minutes for top 10.

As I said before, I'll come over for tech and Toni said she would help in the tower with control.

cory23

cory23

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

cory23

cory23

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
I was being smart ass. I think 300 and top 10 get there money back is really good as far as short track goes. But what do I know, I have never done circle track in my life.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

You or others don't care to plug SCCA into this and play ?  See how the 1st one goes ??

(kind of directed at Jim C)

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

But what do I know, I have never done circle track in my life.

Yeah, that's pretty much my point.  Most of the folks looking at this can't tell if they are getting fleeced or not.

I tend to get my entry fee back more or less just by finishing at the local dirt oval.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

You or others don't care to plug SCCA into this and play ?  See how the 1st one goes ??

(kind of directed at Jim C)

J~

There's kind of an apples and oranges thing.  SCCA/NASA acts as promoter across several race tracks.  Oval usually has a single promoter that only runs the one track.  That deal might be exclusive.

Also, I'm not sure SCCA is even capable of doing an oval race with their rules and culture.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Yeah, that's pretty much my point.  Most of the folks looking at this can't tell if they are getting fleeced or not.

I tend to get my entry fee back more or less just by finishing at the local dirt oval.

Cory was being a smart ass here again lol. He grew up doing oval his whole life and made it to NASCAR Trucks series for a brief period before losing funding.

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

I can tell you from experience it is much better to have a $1000 winner purse and then pay all the way down to last than to have a big winner purse. A lot more cars finish in positions other than first. The more cars, the better the race for the fans. And it IS allowed to place side bets in the pits. Von C will handle that,

I do like this a lot better than just having one $3000 purse.  Having no circle track experience, like probably many SM guys, it puts us at a pretty big disadvantage to the guys who grew up doing it. So I think it would entice more people if it trickled down to the top 5 or top 10 at least getting something back

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

cory23

cory23

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
Mr.baboon, were you planning on coming to the race?

cory23

cory23

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
Burgoon

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Some hoops to jump through but what about get the major schedule to have you guys go out 1st on Sunday, then you pack up, travel over to this track for afternoon practice/qual ?

More attractive ?

Or you really want a week to set you cars up ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users