Photo

Poll: Desoto Speedway SM Money Race

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Short Track Racing in SM? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you honestly consider running this race?

1. Yes - Do it for Dale! (17 votes [70.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.83%

2. No (3 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Won't be in Florida (4 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Also, I'm not sure SCCA is even capable of doing an oval race with their rules and culture.

The Indy Region/SCCA use to hold oval races at Indianapolis Raceway Park (now Lucas Oil Speedway) during the 1990s

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

cory23

cory23

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:cfr
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23
They race on Saturday night. Just think of it as a vacation to Florida in the winter

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

http://www.msn.com/e...eady/ar-BBBMIWk

:D

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Mr.baboon, were you planning on coming to the race?

Unable to come up with a better response?  I'm sure your attitude has brought you great success with your life.  I wish you the best of luck with it.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

Unable to come up with a better response?  I'm sure your attitude has brought you great success with your life.  I wish you the best of luck with it.

POT? KETTLE?

• Waterboy, High Chair, Danica Davison and 1 other like this

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

cory23

cory23

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:cfr
  • Car Number:23
No problem and thank you rob.on a side note why don't you tell us how it should be run. We're open to suggestions. I would appreciate that way more than your negative outlook on this whole topic.
  • Danica Davison likes this

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

Dirk Johnson, I have worked for a short track race series for the past 24 years. I've been to this speedway many times. And 63 other short tracks in the US plus one in Canada. And I don't want SCCA involved. Series I have worked for are the Hooters 2000, Hooters Cup, Hooters Pro Cup, USAR Pro Cup and CARS Tour. I've averaged more than 20 short track races a year.

My most recent short track race worked was the US Nationals at Bristol Motor Speedway two weeks ago and I will be at Anderson Speedway next weekend for the SSS/CARS Tour Border War 250. Right now, I am at Carolina Motorsports Park with the V8 Road Race series which I Administer. I'm also chief of tech for the SCCA weekend races.

So, any suggestions I make are based on my experience and my goal is to try to make the event a success. Sounds like a lot fun for those who might participate.

Dirk, hope you make it!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Nice, I figured it wasn't your 1st rodeo. So the way Cory and John are offering is in your opinion the way to go? Maybe I missed it.
Why not Scca getting involved? Apple / oranges?
US nationals drag racing ?
I'm in CA, maybe a arrive and drive but unlikely.
So this is grass roots getting off the ground.
Any thought of a NASCAR and I use this loosely, support race for the fans
ARCA, K&N series, etc, with the track already paid for.
Mazda interested in breaking into this (NASCAR) fan base?
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Last night I spoke to a good friend of mine who has been doing a lot of the late model (or whatever they are) down here in Florida, for years.  He said his entry fees are roughly between 200-350 on an average night and the purse is somewhere between 2-5k depending on how many cars entered, and split throughout the top 5 or so.  If we got 30 cars, he thinks the purse should be closer to the 5k number.  To help get there, he said if the promoter can find a sponsor, that will help drive down our cost and then increase the purse.  I think we have plenty of time to help find a sponsor for it ... considering it wont be until January. Seems like what cory is being offered about average with what it costs down here in Florida to run. 

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

I was being smart ass. I think 300 and top 10 get there money back is really good as far as short track goes. But what do I know, I have never done circle track in my life

LOL.... I had to go read the rest of the posts when I saw this. It's great to see people complaining about a race they will never do or know nothing about. $300 is nothing. I would pay $300 with no purse, just so I can have an excuse to go hang out and BS for the night.

• Danny Steyn likes this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

LOL.... I had to go read the rest of the posts when I saw this. It's great to see people complaining about a race they will never do or know nothing about. $300 is nothing. I would pay $300 with no purse, just so I can have an excuse to go hang out and BS for the night.

Absolutely - We pay a LOT more than that to race with our club sanctioning bodies to do precisely that

• Preston Pardus likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

So If Danny comes and wins does his clock reset ? :prayer:

And then a lot more would show up to make sure that doesn't happen ? :glare:

:)

J~

• Danny Steyn likes this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

So If Danny comes and wins does his clock reset ? :prayer:

And then a lot more would show up to make sure that doesn't happen ? :glare:
:)
J~

Although danny's clock is for majors races ... I think we would be willing to reset it if he won the oval race :P

• Jim Drago likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Absolutely - We pay a LOT more than that to race with our club sanctioning bodies to do precisely that

You both are exactly right. And if you complain about spending $300 for some good fun in racing ... then I am sorry, but maybe racing isn't the sport for you.

• Jim Drago and Preston Pardus like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Although danny's clock is for majors races ... I think we would be willing to reset it if he won the oval race  :P

No - keep the clock going - it is a serious motivator for me to get my act together and win a Spec Miata majors again - Won several in STL this year but that doesn't count!

• Jim Drago, Michael Novak, Danica Davison and 1 other like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

No - keep the clock going - it is a serious motivator for me to get my act together and win a Spec Miata majors again - Won several in STL this year but that doesn't count!

put the track notes down, stop watching the videos and turn off the simulator! This is your homework for the Sprints :)

• Danny Steyn and Richard Astacio like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Love the rain dance!!! I think this time I am gonna use rain tires! I am with Davison.... the clock would reset for Danny or any of us on an oval. Speaking of, who won that oval SM race outside of Road Atlanta a few years back??... was that Blake?
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Love the rain dance!!! I think this time I am gonna use rain tires! I am with Davison.... the clock would reset for Danny or any of us on an oval. Speaking of, who won that oval SM race outside of Road Atlanta a few years back??... was that Blake?

It was Balake! But he sandbagged and laid back in the last heat to start at the front of the feature. Cory had most of us covered.. Blake was likely second best on Sandlins freshly scrubbed race tires for Sunday :)
  • Danny Steyn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29

It was Balake! But he sandbagged and laid back in the last heat to start at the front of the feature. Cory had most of us covered.. Blake was likely second best on Sandlins freshly scrubbed race tires for Sunday :)

That right... Pat had NOOOO problem letting his scuffed race tires be used to win an exhibition race on Blakes car!!!
  • Danny Steyn likes this
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

That right... Pat had NOOOO problem letting his scuffed race tires be used to win an exhibition race on Blakes car!!!

i was never faster with a can of brake kleen removing session marks from Blakes tires :)
  • Danny Steyn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users