-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:31

I was fighting handling issues all weekend at CoTA after my 1st and only practice session where I ran my fastest lap of the weekend on lap 2 which I thought was rather odd as I haven't run the track since 2015 and figured I'd be picking up the pace.

Halfway through race 2 (Sunday) I was tagged (mild - rear bumper only) going into turn 1 and after developed a minor driveline shimmy on high speed left turns after which I attributed to a failing wheel bearing, or worse a damaged diff.

I lifted the car last night and inspected the rear suspension, bearings, and alignment and found nothing wrong. I went further up the PPF until I got to the bellhousing where I saw all but the top two, manifold,  and starter bolts were missing. Inspected the PPF alignment and you can clearly see if had shifted a bit. Happy to have found the source for the issue, but worried as to why.

I put loctite on the flywheel bolts when I replaced the clutch last month, but not the bellhousing bolts and nut. Should I have? I didn't torque it down to spec, but but a fair amount of pressure, and even more so for the easier to reach ones near the bottom which were missing. To be safe I just ordered new OEM replacements in case they had stretched as the s had never been off the car before in 168k miles (odd i K=know, but I know the original owner and sent her a picture of the original clutch) and they were an absolute nightmare to break free.

I plan to replace the the missing and the remaining ones this weekend with loctite added and torqued to spec as much as I can and then realign the PPF as it looks to have moved a few millimeters. 

Should this be a non-event afterwards?

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I have never used loctite on the bell housing bolts but i always TQ to spec. I also never use loctite on the flywheel bolts but i do use a high temp sealant.

• Rob Burgoon and mellen like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

bbursey

bbursey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:NASA TX
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:199
Sorry about that bump! Hope you've got it all sorted!

Bryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users