RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

I thought there was a thread on this but the search revealed nothing.

3 of the 4 bolts sheared off my crank pulley on the last weekend.  

This happened previously two years ago,that time i didn't catch it before the pulley flew off in the engine bay.  To fix it two years ago, i got a new button on the end of the crank, and put in 4 new OEM bolts torqued to specification.  (I actually bought a 1/4" drive torque wrench for this exact job)  I have the reinforcement ring between the bolt heads and the pulley.  Everything "looks" fine.  I am using a Mazdaspeed timing disk.

Yes, I can replace these bolts every season, but why is this happening?  Anyone else having this issue?  

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Do you use locktite? If not, perhaps they are backing out a bit then getting beat on by a slightly loose pulley before snapping.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

OEM bolts seem to fail in the 99s, they stretch and loose clamp power.   Put grade 10.9 bolts in, think they are a hex head.  Engine builders please correct me if i am wrong about the hex head. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

We fought this issue for a while. Ultimately we cured the issue by using M8 hardware (approved in GCR) but that was not the cause although it did stop the motor from throwing the pulley. The fix didn't stop it from killing oil pumps and main bearings though. Ultimately we found that the crank snout was bent. Point is - there is a reason that the pulley keeps getting thrown off. Best to find it if you can. Also - Make sure that the bolts you are using to fasten the pulley are the correct length and are not too long. As Michael just pointed out - 10.9 bolts only.

Mark

• Steve Scheifler likes this

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67

It was recommended to me to upgrade to M8, but I use M6 ARP bolts torqued to ARP spec with blue loctite for crank and waterpump pulleys and have had no issues for a year with stock timing wheel and 3 weekends with Mazdaspeed timing wheel.  Davew sells the right bolts in the right quantities.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I will throw my useless opinion in here, I think the fact that we are opening the holes on the timing plate may be a factor that we are in there changing things. I think the Locktite, and up graded bolts with higher Tq is a common fix.

• ChrisA likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I will throw my useless opinion in here, I think the fact that we are opening the holes on the timing plate may be a factor that we are in there changing things. I think the Locktite, and up graded bolts with higher Tq is a common fix.

From an engineering standpoint the elongated holes should not have an effect. It's all about maintaining clamp load. The shape or coating thickness of the optional part may have an effect, or overstretching the stock bolts whether through reuse or overtorquing.

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
Drill and tap to m8 SHCS and problem solved.

I have seen the ARP m6 fail as well
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Multiple things to watch for:

old oem bolts need to be replaced

make sure the timing wheel is flat with no burrs from grinding the slots

make sure whatever bolt you use is not too long. When everything is tight the bolt must not bottom out

This is especially important if you use oversize bolts as the proper length is not available. You must grind the bolts to length.

I have seen many oversize bolts break. One prominent engine builder has been doing this for years, and his have broken also.

I have not seen an ARP bolt break. I have them in all 46 cars for 2 years. But Ralph can break anything.

I also have ARP replacement bolts for caliper bracket mounts and drive shaft bolts

I don't think there is a cure for this. Just several versions of band-aids. Use quality bolts as you see fit, replace at every engine build, check often, use locktite.

IMHO

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Some way to move the sensor rather than moving the wheel would probably help.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

Some way to move the sensor rather than moving the wheel would probably help.

Would have no effect. The sensor only detects the nibs on the wheel. The wheel is what is keyed to the crank position.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Would have no effect. The sensor only detects the nibs on the wheel. The wheel is what is keyed to the crank position.

Why wouldn't that work?  By rotating the wheel you make the sensor see the nibs sooner which advances the timing.  Moving the sensor to see the nibs sooner should have the same effect, no?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58
No, the nibs essentially tell the ECU where the pistons are so it can sequence the coil firing. Since the relationship between the wheel nibs > crank > pistons would not change the timing would remain the same. The slotted wheel allows us to change the of the relationship of the nibs to the crank > pistons, thus fooling the ECU to fire the coil earlier in the compression cycle.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

:no:

• Rob Burgoon likes this

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Make sure your plastic belly pan is tightly fastened.  That way when the bolts break your pulley, wheel and belt will be waiting for you on the pan when you open the hood. 

• Danny Steyn, Rob Burgoon, 38bfast and 1 other like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Make sure your plastic belly pan is tightly fastened.  That way when the bolts break your pulley, wheel and belt will be waiting for you on the pan when you open the hood. 

I found mine there once at Road America heading into turn 5 :)

• Danny Steyn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

That is how i found one.  They are snapping right near the head of the bolt.  

I am an engineering by education, So I always "want" to know why stuff happens.  To reiterate these were NEW OEM bolts order from Mazda by the part number for this job.  I am usually not that anal, but given this happened before, and the parts are cheap...  

My only hypothesis, given the bolts are the right length for the job and torqued correctly.  Is one of these two things (or both) are causing this, vibrations (harmonic) from the higher RPMs.  Or  The replacement timing disc from Mazdaspeed is flat while the OEM timing disk has a concave section that fits into the pulley recess.  Thus perhaps red time disk is 'flexing' with the RPMs/vibrations.  If you think about it, wihth the OEM setup the compression of the bolts is directly against the crank button, but with the Red mazdaspeed disk which is flat it is creating tension on the gap between the concave of the pulley and disk/button.   

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

EMatoy

EMatoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:73

My only hypothesis, given the bolts are the right length for the job and torqued correctly. Is one of these two things (or both) are causing this, vibrations (harmonic) from the higher RPMs. Or The replacement timing disc from Mazdaspeed is flat while the OEM timing disk has a concave section that fits into the pulley recess. Thus perhaps red time disk is 'flexing' with the RPMs/vibrations. If you think about it, wihth the OEM setup the compression of the bolts is directly against the crank button, but with the Red mazdaspeed disk which is flat it is creating tension on the gap between the concave of the pulley and disk/button.

I agree and that's why the red one I bought is on the work bench and not in the car.
I also used bigger diameter bolts.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

In some highly stressed engineering environments, we only use bolts for a single use. Once they are tightened to the specified torque, they elongate and are not viable as a re-use item. Does this apply in this environment?

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Well these bolts were new and not removed yet, so in this case they failed in their single use. 

- Speed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users