Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:29
Congrats Danny!
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Congrats Danny!! Great job.  :thumbsup:  :clap:

Danny's interview.

https://www.scca.com/videos/2032696

Race 2

https://www.scca.com...p-3-sm-race-2-2

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I don't think I have ever seen Danny happier post race
  • Danny Steyn, Preston Pardus and Richard Astacio like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:56

Danny is a Super Tour Winner! Congrats!

Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Prolly one of a handful of guys who only run a fire extinguisher, and not a full system.  Scubbing tires on pace lap, I hear a loud banging noise.  Yep, the single clamp that holds the damn extinguisher in place came loose.  Had to drop to the back to get to the inside, then drive through pitlane on the start to be able to reconnect it.  Ugh.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:PA
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:44

I've had a 4.5hr drive and 2hrs worth of lawn mowing to think about this...

First off, congrats to Danny on the win today.  It was a very clean race - exactly like it should have been.  Hats off to Tom and the OPM guys for tuning up his car.  He was off somewhat on test day compared to what I could run, but they made some changes and gave him what he needed to keep pace.  Both races were so close between the two of us and either one could have come away with the victories.  I turned my best race laps ever on hoosiers today which says a lot for what he was able to do.

On my end, the weekend went nearly as planned except for the last lap today.  The car was consistent and fast in every session, except on the wets - wrong call.  We had a scary incident on Saturday with Geraci crashed in the carousel.  Officials only had a local yellow at the stand which was basically at his car.  His drivers door was facing the track and we're so loaded there that it could have ended badly.  On the last lap, Danny and I were side by side in the bus stop and in the heat of battle for the win I had forgotten he was there - again there was no yellow thrown earlier in the corner.   Once we got to the point where we could see the flag, we both lifted running side by side giving plenty of room until we were past and then continued our last lap battle.  Moral to the story was that they should have gone FCY immediately with how his car was sitting but officials claimed 'it didn't look that bad'.  We discussed with a number officials post race to ensure the possible consequences of this call were brought to everyone's attention.  

In all, it was a good weekend and great to see everyone.  Congrats to Nick Leverone on the double podium in a borrowed car.  I would be lying if I didn't admit this stings a bit, but we'll move on to the next one!  

• Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and Preston Pardus like this

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

2016 NASA Eastern States Champion

2015 & 2016 US Majors Tour National Points Champion

2015 & 2016 Northeast Majors Tour Conference Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

January of 2016 at Sebring was my last Majors/Super Tour win in Spec Miata. Carter and Davison scoured the internet to find that date, and created that f'ng CLOCK. Pure genius. Funny as sh!t!

Well this weekend finally I was able to reset the clock, at least in my mind as I suspect that clock will continue ad infinitum without resetting until the domain/hosting package expires – (would be really funny if Carter had bought a long term package).

Anyway, on to the races. Watkins Glen has bitten me hard several times, and I have taken my cars home in pieces after some ugly crashes. Despite having set a lap record in 2014, I have never won a race here, and have really struggled to get my car setup to work the way Kicera and other locals seem to get theirs to do. I always struggled at the toe of the boot and would get horribly killed from T7 – T8.

Fortunately, with advice and suggestions from locals including Nick Leverone and Ralle Rookey, during Thursdays four test sessions, Tom and I took big swings at our setup and slowly started to close in on a setup that really worked. Lots of trial and error, but not one session did we go out without making changes to the car. Soon the car was doing what it needed to do and at the end of the last test day session I was able to run with the locals Kicera, Leverone and Rookey, and it seemed like the four of us were very equal.

In Qualifying, I managed to put the car into 3rd spot after pushing Rookey around to 2nd place behind Kicera with Nick in 4th.

In Race 1, I was able to hang with, and push Kicera away from Leverone and Rookey, and towards the end of the race I seemed to be able to roll more speed through a couple of corners that would put me in a position to make a pass. On the final lap I got alongside Kicera on the run to the bus stop, and we went into the bus stop side by side, through the carousel side by side, and then Kicera passed me going into the laces. From there he was able to hold me off for the win. We had three consecutive laps of 2:16.074, 2:16.074, 2:16.060, and I think our total race lap variation was under a second other than the last lap due to the yellow flag for Geraci. The winning margin was a couple of car lengths.

But being able to hang with Kicera at Watkins Glen was a huge confidence booster.

Race 2 was similar. I got to Kicera’s bumper early and pushed him lap after lap until lap 10 when he ran wide in Turn 1 and I inherited the lead. Kicera quickly passed me and I was back on his tail. At the start of the last lap I had a great run out of Turn 11, made the pass through T1, and was able to hold him off and get through the bus stop ahead of him. I then increased the lead through the carousel and laces and he started to claw some of it back coming up to the heel of the boot, but was not close enough to challenge. The winning margin was very similar to race 1. We ran several race laps within a few tenths off Andrew Carbonell’s lap record, which in the warm humid conditions was pretty quick. Will post a video soon.

That f’ng clock was one hell of a motivator. So sad that Carter isn’t here to enjoy the fun he created. I gave Carter and Davison all the credit in my post race speech. Carter will be missed

https://www.scca.com/videos/2032696

It really takes a team to make this work so a huge thanks to Mike at Rossini racing Engines, Tom and the entire team at OPM, Danny at G-Loc for the awesome brakes, Mazda Motorsports, Hoosier Tires and the SCCA for a great racing series. 

And I guess the clock has already started ticking again!

• Joe (dad) Jordan, MPR22, FTodaro and 3 others like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

I'll be expecting video from both Tyler and Danny...I wanna see it!

Totally agree about the need for a FCY when Anthony hit the wall.  I have video of that...I will post soon.

• Amy M likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Here's my view following Vic Kicera and Anthony Geraci coming out of the esses.  Sorry, the quality isn't great.

http://youtu.be/ylNpaV2-1AM

Domm Leuci

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Did Anthony break something or was he touched?

Wicked spin into the wall backwards...

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Did Anthony break something or was he touched?

Wicked spin into the wall backwards...

He was loose all weekend.  Nothing broke, no contact.

• Jim Drago likes this
Domm Leuci

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Was just going through the weekend's lap times from the SCCA site. The consistency of the front runners is pretty amazing with Leverone being nothing short of a machine. Ignoring the start lap, here is the deviation, best lap to worst lap for each driver, over 14 laps

• Steyn - 1.257 seconds
  • Kicera - 1.215 seconds
  • Leverone - 0.670 seconds - seriously - 14 laps within 0.67 seconds - that is just amazing
  • Rookey - 1.032 seconds

• Amy M, Tyler Kicera and Danica Davison like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

sentercut

sentercut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:55

Congratulations Tyler and Danny on the wins.  

• Tyler Kicera likes this

Senter Smith

Dan Spangler

Dan Spangler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Leverone - 0.670 seconds - seriously - 14 laps within 0.67 seconds - that is just amazing

With only 14 laps in the race, the mountain dew he slammed before rolling onto track probably hadn't worn off yet!    Seriously though, that is some ridiculous muscle memory to repeat laps like that!

• Danica Davison likes this

-Dan

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

That is very impressive. Compared it to last weekend. Besides the first and the last lap at the first race at Road America. Haldemans spread was 0.458 seconds. Track is 4 miles long right? so 0.1145 per mile!!

• chris haldeman, Jim Drago and Danny Steyn like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

That is very impressive. Compared it to last weekend. Besides the first and the last lap at the first race at Road America. Haldemans spread was 0.458 seconds. Track is 4 miles long right? so 0.1145 per mile!!

Since I was right behind in both this race and Cota.. Cota race 2 was more impressive IMO b/c in this one I could hang and push us away lap after lap running the same times.. At Cota I could not match the pace or consistency  :(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

And I guess the clock has already started ticking again!

Congrats on the win.  All Majors wins in this class are to be savored.  While your clock may re-start, most of us racing SM or reading this thread are measuring the gap between wins with solar eclipses rather than days and months. 

• Danny Steyn likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Full clock-stopping race-video from the weekend! Full race commentary and Fowler's radio transmissions captured by my wife Kim, who gets very invested in the last lap. Great to have your best friend cheering in the background!

Not particularly exciting video, just consistent, measured and deliberate. As Tyler and I commented before the start of the race, its going to be one interesting chess match.

Decisive chess move gets set up at around 31:50

• Amy M, Tyler Kicera, Richard Astacio and 1 other like this

Danny

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I watched this last night.. As I noted on you tube. This is the best complete race I have seen you drive or at least post. The car seems strong and the handling was perfect and you drove it well.  That's all it takes to win these things, nearly all to be perfect   :)

Congratulations  

• Danny Steyn, Amy M and Richard Astacio like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

I watched this last night.. As I noted on you tube. This is the best complete race I have seen you drive or at least post. The car seems strong and the handling was perfect and you drove it well.  That's all it takes to win these things, nearly all to be perfect   :)

Congratulations  

Thanks Jim, appreciate the kind words, and yes, the car was a pleasure to drive. By race-day we had definitely nailed the setup and were able to run good mid-corner speed without compromising the exits.

• Amy M likes this

Danny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users