Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I'm not sure if anything is set, so we might as well kick around some ideas. If nothing else it could be fun. 

my thoughts... after three quailfyings... run a qualifying race for everyone not in the top forty... the top 10 from that race advance to the Runoffs race which has 50 entrants.  That gives you two races with 50 plus cars and we lose one qualifying. 

What ideas do you have?

• chris haldeman likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
There seems to be some time at the end of Thursday for a qual race. I say allow all 4 qual session then qual race the end of the day Thursday. Top 40 or 50 in qual make the feature and the remainder race it out in the Thursday evening qual race for the final 5-10 spots.
This is the runoffs and should not be compromised because of an all inclusive mentality
  • Lee Thomas, Danica Davison and Jesse Prather like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Martinracing98

Martinracing98

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

2.2. A maximum of 72 cars will be allowed on course at one time. Class Oversubscription will be handled as follows:

• Qualifying
    • Split into two, separate qualifying groups run back-to-back in the schedule OR
    • Place the oversubscribed cars into a qualifying group with another class, run back-to-back in the schedule
    • Qualifying grid will be based on Supplemental Regulations Section 5.7, with session grids posted for each day at Driver Information.
    • Following Wednesday’s qualifying session, drivers outside of the top 60 positions for the week will be gridded in order for a 15- minute timed “Last Chance” race to be run on Thursday after the final qualifying session for the top 60 qualifiers. The top 12 finishers from the “Last Chance” race will advance to the National Championship race, starting in positions 61-72.
  • All sessions will be limited to 72 cars. 

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
We know what has been posted. Most are looking for a better option
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

steve

steve

CFO MEATHEAD Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:90
I suggest the fastest car from each state makes the big race.
  • Danica Davison likes this
STEVE

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Jim, I agree we may have somewhat of an issue here with so many cars registered. But, I am against taking away another session when we already have like one day's worth of track time spread out over 5 days. I agree with Chris' on being too inclusive. However, I think it would look really bad on the SCCA and the Spec Miata class if we told everyone that we can run 72 cars in the race in the beginning of the year ... and then people spend time and money all year long to go to Indy knowing this rule... and then we turn around and say "no no only top 50 cars", I think that would just be a bad PR move for the class. 

I don't want to be dealing with all the lap traffic either, but I think it is too late to change this now.  I would say it would have been okay to say that earlier in the year when people didn't dedicate their time and money to go to Indy.  Like, I still think the 115% rule is way too high for Spec Miata but that rule needs to be in place way before people commit their whole year to this. We will all know going into this race that there might be a lot of lap cars, and it very well could impact the race, but we are now all dealt the same card going into it.

I would suggest during that week that we have Spec Miata only drivers meetings (more than one) and we educate the slower guys about getting out of the way of the lead lap cars in the race.  Just drill it into everyone's head.

• DrDomm and sentercut like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

What I think is more of a head scratcher for SCCA to figure out is the SRF/SRF3 qualifying method.  They were going to put the overflow of the SRF3 into the SRF group, but as of right now they have 97 SRF3 and 49 SRF (146 cars).  That is 73 cars per group ...

SCCA already made time in their schedule for the SM group being too large ... but I don't think they thought SRF/3 was going to pull in this many entries.  I thought they were making SRF a regional class anyways now? What happened with that?

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Martinracing98

Martinracing98

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

I thought they were making SRF a regional class anyways now? What happened with that?

I am pretty sure this is the last year of separate classes.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Order of sign up? 73+ wait list...

When is the last opportunity to request a refund? For me if I knew I had a chance to be bumped after spending a decent sum of money I would probably wise up and bail before the expense. My guess is the field will be naturally slimmed prior to race week. If 90 cars show up chances of 18 being crashed or blown up is not out of the realm of possibilities? And for sure if you do some sort of qualifying races very good chance only 72 or less will be left to run the big show!

72 should run! Hopefully number 72 will be at a pace not to get lapped. But if he and 10 others are not...let the chips fall were they may! Some will say a National Championship should not be decided by cars being lapped. I say this is car racing...strap on your helmet and drive it like you stole it! Any attempt to lecture other adults on what they should or shouldn't do is self serving BS...IMO  :duck:

That said...if it were me being lapped and I wanted to be courteous...if at all possible I would dive through the hot pits to avoid the top cars... 

• True North, Bench Racer, mhiggins10 and 1 other like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Back in 2011 and 2012 when SFR SCCA had big enough car counts that they ran out of 2 digit car numbers and had 70-80+ cars in attendance with some regularity, they'd run even / odd qualifying events based on car numbers.  I think they shortened to 15 minutes sessions.  Regional races.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

It I were there, I'd be lapped. If I were doing the lapping, I'd expect the lapper to follow THE classic line and it's up to me the passer to pass cleanly as the Pro road racers who are always mixed with lappers because of speed differential do. Most of us at SCCA drivers school had the passing/classic line drilled into our beans.

• Danica Davison, Spencer Rutherford and luvin_the_rings like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Bench and Ron are right. I was not clear, so let me rephrase. I do not mean for them to "get out of the way" like I said .. but to do their best in getting out of the racing if that makes sense.  Like not driving in deep side by side with leaders, maybe breathing off the throttle to let leaders go by easier on straights, but still maintaining a predictable racing line etc.

• Bench Racer likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Like not driving in deep side by side with leaders, maybe breathing off the throttle to let leaders go by easier on straights, but still maintaining the classic racing line etc.

:bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

sentercut

sentercut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:55

I am curious how many of the 90+ entrants are first timers. I would guess it is close to 30-40%. I am one of them, and cant wait for the spectacle of it all. 

I like the idea of top 40-50, and the LCQ race for the remaining 22-32 spots, but if they did it that way I would prefer it being longer than 15 minutes. 20 I would be fine with, but my guess is that the LCQ is going to be chaos, and track position will be huge. I hope i don't have to experience that but either way it is going to be blast, and I will be grinning most of the week, and hopefully weeks after.

The cost of it all is daunting, but that is part of the deal spending 10 days racing for our national championship at the most iconic venue in North America. Don't get me wrong, since getting into road racing I have wanted to go to the runoffs, but being at IMP pushed me over the edge to make it happen. I have sold guns, cars, electronics, securities, and have worked especially hard this past year in preparation to be able to go. The qualifying of 3 Majors made it simple, but I also feel like there should have been some minimum of points that had to be achieved in some form or fashion. I also get that this will break many records if not all of them for SCCA Runoffs attendance, which is a great thing for our club. 

Senter Smith

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Jim, I agree we may have somewhat of an issue here with so many cars registered. But, I am against taking away another session when we already have like one day's worth of track time spread out over 5 days. I agree with Chris' on being too inclusive. However, I think it would look really bad on the SCCA and the Spec Miata class if we told everyone that we can run 72 cars in the race in the beginning of the year ... and then people spend time and money all year long to go to Indy knowing this rule... and then we turn around and say "no no only top 50 cars", I think that would just be a bad PR move for the class. 

I don't want to be dealing with all the lap traffic either, but I think it is too late to change this now.  I would say it would have been okay to say that earlier in the year when people didn't dedicate their time and money to go to Indy.  Like, I still think the 115% rule is way too high for Spec Miata but that rule needs to be in place way before people commit their whole year to this. We will all know going into this race that there might be a lot of lap cars, and it very well could impact the race, but we are now all dealt the same card going into it.

I would suggest during that week that we have Spec Miata only drivers meetings (more than one) and we educate the slower guys about getting out of the way of the lead lap cars in the race.  Just drill it into everyone's head.

I was considering you as one of the guys we would be lapping :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I was considering you as one of the guys we would be lapping :)

Jim while you are considering this possibility... Just image the delight for Danny! It will be just as good for him lapping Davison as a title would ever be.

Dannys webmaster will have a new website up before the end of that day, when will Davison keep from being lapped again... Tictoctictoc
  • Danny Steyn and Danica Davison like this

K. Webb