Volkswagen                          12

• Danny Steyn likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

If they ever hold the Runoffs at Blackhawk, I am in. But I know where my talent lies, and it ain't in the drivers seat. I will be there as an entrant, car owner, crew chief, assistant cook and head gopher. I may not be on track, but I do have some skin invested.

Split the group into 2 qualifying groups. Based on order of entry received, evens and odds. Equal sizes. For first qualifying session. Grid the cars in this order.

For Tuesday and Wednesday, I have 2 options: Remain with the Monday groups, you know who to partner up with at that point. OR; split into fast and slow groups. Still 50% per group.

Thursday; Top 50 cars qualify together. Remaining 40+ cars have their final qualifying as a race. Top 22 cars advance to Championship race. I think 50 is the right cutoff. It gets all the expected guys/gals into the final. It also leaves enough spots open that there should not be heroics (crashes) to get through the "B-main".  I would like to see at least 2 sessions between the final q and the B-main. Many of the crews (me) will be scrambling to get final impound done and get the next group ready to go. Or maybe the B-mains (assuming SRF3 will also need one) are at end of day.

Just my thoughts

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

It also leaves enough spots open that there should not be heroics (crashes) to get through the "B-main".

I love your optimism!

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

. However, I think it would look really bad on the SCCA and the Spec Miata class if we told everyone that we can run 72 cars in the race in the beginning of the year ... and then people spend time and money all year long to go to Indy knowing this rule... and then we turn around and say "no no only top 50 cars", I think that would just be a bad PR move for the class. 

I have to admit, I agree with you here. 

Jim

• mellen and Danica Davison like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

scott sanda

scott sanda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

While I am not looking forward to 10 minutes of functional qualifying per session for the big car (52 As and GT2 cars will be a crash fest), and trying to qualify in the Gen 2 will be challenging, I'm looking forward to the SRF gen 3 and SM "qualifying races" Thursday.

It should be the best show of the week, for certain values of best.  30+ drivers fighting for the main will be entertaining.

Now, if they only invert the top 15 qualifiers for the main, like they do at our local roundy round track.....

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

If they ever hold the Runoffs at Blackhawk, I am in. But I know where my talent lies, and it ain't in the drivers seat. I will be there as an entrant, car owner, crew chief, assistant cook and head gopher. I may not be on track, but I do have some skin invested.

Split the group into 2 qualifying groups. Based on order of entry received, evens and odds. Equal sizes. For first qualifying session. Grid the cars in this order.

For Tuesday and Wednesday, I have 2 options: Remain with the Monday groups, you know who to partner up with at that point. OR; split into fast and slow groups. Still 50% per group.

Thursday; Top 50 cars qualify together. Remaining 40+ cars have their final qualifying as a race. Top 22 cars advance to Championship race. I think 50 is the right cutoff. It gets all the expected guys/gals into the final. It also leaves enough spots open that there should not be heroics (crashes) to get through the "B-main".  I would like to see at least 2 sessions between the final q and the B-main. Many of the crews (me) will be scrambling to get final impound done and get the next group ready to go. Or maybe the B-mains (assuming SRF3 will also need one) are at end of day.

Just my thoughts

Dave

A couple new thoughts.

Have the b-mains at end of day on Thursday. this give the teams plenty of time between final q and b-main. They (we) can give proper dedication to both the fast group and the slow group. And the 2 b-mains (SRF3) will be great spectator events.

It is important to start 72 cars. Finishers 23 and 24 should be asked to be race ready for friday, just in case someone can not make the starting grid.

dave

• Dave Cox likes this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pmiranda

pmiranda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:TX

Looks like there's room for the 73+ entries to qual with STL. 

I would think the folks double-dipping enough to enter would be at the sharp end of SM, but I haven't looked to see...

No idea what they'll do with SRF qual... FF/F5 is already near the 72-car limit, and I'd hate to be running a FV with a SRF tank. Maybe the production cars are a better match? Room for another qual group M,Tu,W and then SM and SRF3 last-chance races Th?

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

With some mentions of crashes...did you want to discuss turn one ?? 

Cones, no 3 wide passing zone, 1st lap only ??

Could do another thread.

J~

• Danica Davison likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I don't see why we would put overflow SM cars in the STL group because they have already made room on the schedule for two SM qualifying sessions per day and the last chance race on Thursday afternoon.

I think the current process for grid order is fine the way it is. Grid the first qualifying session in order of HST points because rewards the drivers who went to all of those events and did well and I think it separates it out nicely.  And then Tuesday thru Thursday is gridded on cumulative lap time. 

What I don't understand though is having the last chance qualifying grid determined on Wednesday and doesn't include the Thursday qual.  That makes no sense to me why they wouldn't use Thursday's as well

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Did any of you view the three  wide pass at the BrickYard 400 yesterday? How'd that turn out................

https://www.bing.com...4C45E&FORM=VIRE

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

What I don't understand though is having the last chance qualifying grid determined on Wednesday and doesn't include the Thursday qual.  That makes no sense to me why they wouldn't use Thursday's as well

Because the B main is a qualifying session. If the slow group got Mon, Tue,Wed and Thursday qualifyers. Then got the B-main and then a race, they would be getting an extra session.

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Because the B main is a qualifying session. If the slow group got Mon, Tue,Wed and Thursday qualifyers. Then got the B-main and then a race, they would be getting an extra session.

That isn't true...and it isn't right.  I misread the Supps, and thought it included Thursday's qualifying.  As it is now, if you have to run the 15-minute Thursday qualifying race and finish outside of the top 72, you get less sessions/track time than someone who is inside the top 60.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

That isn't true...and it isn't right.  I misread the Supps, and thought it included Thursday's qualifying.  As it is now, if you have to run the 15-minute Thursday qualifying race and finish outside of the top 72, you get less sessions/track time than someone who is inside the top 60.

do you really get less time or is your time the same but one is a qualifying race?  I have not read it, but was thinking the opposite way.. Like the bottom 40 are getting more time than top 40 guys.. I guess I should read it at some point :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

"Did any of you view the three  wide pass at the BrickYard 400 yesterday? How'd that turn out................"

First, none of our sedans are going to be making the speed Cup cars do. Next, those cars have so much aero quirks that anything upsets the cars. Finally, the inside car  (Sir J J)  had a motor blowing up and only made the move to try to go out in the lead. It was stupid and could have piled up the entire field. Bad case of red mist. Not a KK fan but glad to see him win. It will increase his value when Hendicks replaces him with William Byron. Good kid much like Chase Elliott. Raced with us two years ago. And that win on  Saturday was Bryon's first ever visit to Indy.

Miatas will be able to run 4 wide in the turns and 6 wide on the straights. But, like Dayton, they will spread out into single line racing. It's the nature of rovals.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Unless you run a "outside the top 72" consulation race, somebody will get screwed/ extra track time. My system FWIW gives everybody 3 qualify session on MTW. The fastest get another q session on Th. The slower get a q-race on th. Same amount of track time. The top 72 get to race on friday. Anyone outside the top 72 does not race on Friday. BUT, they did get to race on Thursday.

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

do you really get less time or is your time the same but one is a qualifying race?  I have not read it, but was thinking the opposite way.. Like the bottom 40 are getting more time than top 40 guys.. I guess I should read it at some point :)

You should read it.  Outside the top 60, gets a 15-minute "race" on Thursday, instead of the 20-minute qualifying session.  But if you're outside the top 72, you miss out on the 40-minute (19 lap) race.

No one inside the top 60 is gonna be envious of those (of us) racing on Thursday.

• Jim Drago likes this
Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

BUT, they did get to race on Thursday.

The time and money put into this aren't justified by a 15-minute race.

Domm Leuci

Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:24

Curious if someone has actually verified all current SM entrants have qualified in SM to attend the Runoffs...?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Lee, wanted to meet you at the Sprints. Was hanging with Kenny Kannard under the Mazda roof if you will with OPM, Advanced, X-Factor SM's. By time I got around to it, shit happened and I thought another time. Car analysis from Sprints?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73

The time and money put into this aren't justified by a 15-minute race.

Simple answer is if you seriously feel you cannot be in the top 72 then why go at all? It is the runoffs. I remember the first year I qualified for the runoffs and how proud I was. It took national points which back then in my region were very hard to come by as it took a 10th just to get 1 point.
  • Bench Racer, Marc Cefalo, Lee Thomas and 2 others like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users