Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

Curious if someone has actually verified all current SM entrants have qualified in SM to attend the Runoffs...?

I will do that in the morning. I got it all in excel lol

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I will do that in the morning. I got it all in excel lol

I am not yet qualified... I have two majors with 3 race starts plus one regional weekend and need one more regional weekend to qualify.
  • Danica Davison likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Settle down Jim, no one was inferring SM are Cup cars. If there's a turn on the Indy track which is three wide for passing you know some of these guys will attempt to make a pass four wide.

Besides all that, what's your thoughts on Ty Majeski from Seymour, WI development driver for Roush/Fenway?

One of your boys Bubba Pollard someplace GA won the Slinger Nationals a week ago, Ty finished 4th. A year ago during Bubba's first trip to slinger he couldn't grab his a$$ with either hand. Promoters choice to make the field. FAST learner.  Also a year ago Ty was leaving Kensett and Jones, had a softening tire and that was that. Jones played rough several times with Kensett and Kensett gently nudged Jones in T1 and passed for the victory on the last lap. Didn't go this year. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

Don't know him personally, but have heard his name. Roush has had problems keeping young developmental drivers. Hope he keeps this one. Doing well in heavy ARCA cars usually indicates good talent.

Bubba Pollard was leading on last lap Saturday night at Orange County Speedway near Durham, NC when a caution came out. He made the mistake of picking outside on restart and Steven Wallace body slammed him and sent him back to fourth. Bubba took it pretty good considering it was also a $10,000 to win race. Lot's of big names crashed or had problems such as Christopher Bell, Steven Nasse, Cole Rouse, Spencer Davis, Brandon Setzer, Chase Purdy and Raphael Lessard. Like Pollard most had been racing elsewhere with several flying in from Indy.

I don't believe the Miatas will have problems on the Indy course. The flat turns will keep the speeds down a bit and as I tried to say above, but typed Dayton instead of Daytona, I think the field with end up running in single lines. Set up is going to be really key and tire management may come into play.

It's going to be a race to watch. Too bad Indy doesn't have lights. We could have had another under the lights.

As for the qualifying race, what you guys really need to be campaigning for of 15 minutes of "green" flag racing. No full course caution or behind the pace car time. It would really suck to see less that one lap green and the rest under yellow. With clean up limits, it could happen. And with a 72 car field, I'd be looking for at least half the time green flag.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Curious if someone has actually verified all current SM entrants have qualified in SM to attend the Runoffs...?

Okay, so as of this morning. The drivers that are registered but are currently not on the SCCA website as being qualified are:

B Clark Cambern
Brian Naumann
Brian Wright
Cooper Lilly (Unless your name is James)
Daniel Setili
Darrin DeVault
Dave Hechler
Dave Tweedlie
Derek Luney
James DeFinnis
James Randall
Jason Kohler
Jeff Luckritz
Julian Garfield
Kyle M. Webb
Michael Collins
Michael LaMaina

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Okay, so as of this morning. The drivers that are registered but are currently not on the SCCA website as being qualified are:

B Clark Cambern
Brian Naumann
Brian Wright
Daniel Setili
Darrin DeVault
Dave Hechler
Dave Tweedlie
Derek Luney
James DeFinnis
James Randall
Jason Kohler
Jeff Luckritz
Julian Garfield
Kyle M. Webb
Michael Collins
Michael LaMaina

Cambern will probably do Grattan

Lilly can speak for himself

Teedlie is running one of my cars at RA this weekend 

Randall I am sure will be at RA this weekend

Kohler and Luckritz are Michiganers, expect them at Grattan

Garfield is running Grattan

Webb is on his own

Collins did NJ last weekend to qualify

That cuts the list in half

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

lillyweld

lillyweld

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

My name is James. I am in.

Cooper Lilly

#69 Spec Miata

Henderson, Kentucky

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

B Clark Cambern
Brian Naumann
Brian Wright
Daniel Setili
Darrin DeVault
Dave Hechler
Dave Tweedlie
Derek Luney
James DeFinnis
James Randall
Jason Kohler
Jeff Luckritz
Julian Garfield
Kyle M. Webb
Michael Collins 175   Collins, Michael   Spec Miata  1999 Mazda Miata MEATHEAD Racing, Butler Built, Good Friends Woodbine, MD

Michael LaMaina

Communication through the SCCA web site,  :raincloud: 

WHAT, yer reporting false news??? Per motorsportsreg.com, Michael is entered. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

The last 4 words of John Davison sentence are kind of important, "as being qualified are"

J~

• dstevens and Danica Davison like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

The last 4 words of John Davison sentence are kind of important, "as being qualified are"

J~

It's okay Dewey.  Reading is hard. ;)

• Jim Drago likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:24

Lee, wanted to meet you at the Sprints. Was hanging with Kenny Kannard under the Mazda roof if you will with OPM, Advanced, X-Factor SM's. By time I got around to it, shit happened and I thought another time. Car analysis from Sprints?

Hi.... Car was a total loss.  New one in the works.  We will be at Indy!

• Jim Drago likes this

Lee Thomas

Lee Thomas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:24

Simple answer is if you seriously feel you cannot be in the top 72 then why go at all? It is the runoffs. I remember the first year I qualified for the runoffs and how proud I was. It took national points which back then in my region were very hard to come by as it took a 10th just to get 1 point.

I've never attended the Runoffs.  When Indy was announced I knew I wanted to go. I took the Super Tour path as I knew it would put me door-to-door with the best drivers eyeing for the Runoffs.  If I wasn't a complete putz, qualify respectably (your mileage may vary on my performance) I would have the confidence to drive with them at Indy.  I achieved my goals and now I'm going to Indy, confident that I can add to the overall competitive landscape of our class and finish well.  Talking with some folks early on it became clear that because Indy is such a bucket-list track, many were looking for the cheapest, least competitive route.  I don't have a problem with that.  The rules allow it so let them come.  Let the slowest among us work out the last 10 or whatever places in a qualy race and everyone else goes home as a spectator to the championship race.  No harm, no foul.  If the SCCA wants the Runoffs to be a better representation of the best drivers nationally lets get behind raising the bar to entry, like it apparently was in the past.  Something that earning takes a lot more effort and commitment.  I'd consider removing the regional path.  Give regional champs accolades and trophies but if you want to run against the best nationally, you commit to racing with them in January, not late September. The only thing that needs to be fair is the opportunity to do well.  Simply participating should not be the lowest bar to entry for this event.

• jpsomner and sentercut like this

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

FWIW, the regional path requires points, must finish in top three in class. SM/SRF top 5. So, it's actually more difficult than just showing up for three Majors.

Not all divisions can support 3/4 Majors. Not all drivers schedule can make three events. What happens when you put the regional races out of business? Not everyone wants to attend the Runoffs. And why do we want to make drivers spend more of their budgets on travel? I'd rather see it go to entry fees.

As long as SCCA stays with bucket list tracks for the Runoffs, the cost will be high. The harder they make qualifying, the higher the entry fee will have to be. How many of you would have attended Indy with a $2300 entry fee? And that will be after you have to enter more races to accumulate needed points.

Be careful what you ask for.

• dstevens likes this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

FWIW, the regional path requires points, must finish in top three in class. SM/SRF top 5. So, it's actually more difficult than just showing up for three Majors.

Not all divisions can support 3/4 Majors. Not all drivers schedule can make three events. What happens when you put the regional races out of business? Not everyone wants to attend the Runoffs. And why do we want to make drivers spend more of their budgets on travel? I'd rather see it go to entry fees.

I don't agree that it is more difficult to run the divisional path at all. There is only like 1-3 guys at sarrc races that are running in the Divisional runoffs class instead.  It is like running in a production class ... its a guaranteed podium every time.

The second part I agree with you though. Regionals will be great next year because nobody will go to Sonoma. The runoffs are way too serious, way too much money, and way too little track time for most anyways and I think most prefer regionals.  I am already looking forward to next year's SARRC & Regional run for all of the track time I have been missing out on this year to afford all these majors races and runoffs.  

• Brian Tone likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:46

Simple answer is if you seriously feel you cannot be in the top 72 then why go at all? It is the runoffs. I remember the first year I qualified for the runoffs and how proud I was. It took national points which back then in my region were very hard to come by as it took a 10th just to get 1 point.

Me?  I'm not sure if I can qualify in the top 72.  I think I can, but the top 60 might be pushing it.  So much can happen during the week...weather?  Contact?  Mechanical problem?  Who knows?  But I'm not talking about "just me".  Just wait...there will be someone that we all think is gonna make Friday's race...someone's friend, someone's teammate, someone's customer...who through no fault of his/her own, will be watching.

I think it's wrong to deny any (competent - remember in a previous thread I argued for a 107% rule) paying "club member" the opportunity to have a real race.  Fifteen minutes doesn't cut it.  Same goes for SRF3.  Make it a 30 minute race, and I think that's reasonable.

As long as SCCA stays with bucket list tracks for the Runoffs, the cost will be high. The harder they make qualifying, the higher the entry fee will have to be. How many of you would have attended Indy with a $2300 entry fee? And that will be after you have to enter more races to accumulate needed points.

Be careful what you ask for.

Bingo!  A lot of people can't understand that the cost is kept reasonable by the high participation.  The same goes for the Majors/Super Tour events.

I understand the argument that the (relatively small) track can only accommodate so many cars, but I really get the sense that some people just want to keep the event exclusive (yet chose the NASA Championship last year).  I'm not that way...as long as we can ensure the leaders have a fair and clean opportunity to decide who is the best on that day.

The Runoffs aren't what they used to be.  I think people should accept that.  In many ways, I think it's better.  It's now an inclusive, bucket-list, end of the season celebration for those who supported the club and regions throughout the year...and it hopefully provides an opportunity for the best drivers to showcase their skills, compete, and crown a champion.

If people truly want to reserve the Friday race to be the one that only features the best, then the qualifying race should be the race with 72 cars.  How 'bout that?

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

If people truly want to reserve the Friday race to be the one that only features the best, then the qualifying race should be the race with 72 cars.  How 'bout that?

Honestly, I am ALL IN on having all 100 cars on track at one time!  It will feel like a chump car race with that much traffic!  That would be awesome

• sentercut likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Honestly, I am ALL IN on having all 100 cars on track at one time!  It will feel like a chump car race with that much traffic!  That would be awesome

Right up until some dumb ass Spins and tries to show the world he is as fast as the leaders as being lapped with 2-3 laps to go and he breaks up the top 4 car pack and makes it a two car pack.... then spins again trying to follow p3 and p4 at the end of the backstraight. :(   With all due respect, if you are getting lapped at the runoffs, get out of the friggin way!  Take yourself out of the equation.

• dstevens, DrDomm and Steve Scheifler like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

General comment from most likely before many were involved in SCCA racing. There was a time when the Runoffs were for what was called National license holders and Regional license holders raced the ARRC. IIRC, no one who raced the current year Runoffs was allowed to race the ARRC. 4 Regional races got you a National license, but qualifying for the Runoffs was a tad bit tougher. Yes, and then track costs went spiraling to the sky and Runoffs requirements fell. Here we are, about everyone may easily qualify for the Runoffs. Got to pay the bills. :bigsquaregrin:

Jim, I'm sure you'll admit, sometimes stuff happens and pointy end dudes spin and wipe out other pointy end cars.

• JRagaglia likes this

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Jim is a little fired up about this, With a right to be fired up.

There is an art to being passed by significantly faster cars. Try to let (ease off the throttle if needed) the fast cars by on the straight away. Don't get yourself in their race. Stay predictable. Stay within your talent level. Don't spin or make any unusual changes in driving style.

It can be a wonderfull thing, when a slow driver is friends with the fast guys.

• Jim Drago and Todd Green like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Number:67
The pointy end guys in SM should be happy about this. Other classes not so much. If 100+ cars show up I bet that 72-car championship field is covered by 106%.
  • DrDomm likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users