BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67
Not excited about Indy. Would have been more excited about Midohio last year. I *am* excited about being part of a 72 car show. The cost and hassle is a bit demotivating, but: 1. Pretty sure I'm not traveling to CA next year. 2. If I skip it I'll regret it in the future if my SM participation comes to an end before I have another opportunity like this 3. Other people think racing at Indy is cool.

Based on Domm's math I expect to qualify in the 50s. We'll see how myself and others pick up a new track. Wish I had more time and money for testing. I've never seen the leaders in an SM race since I started. We'll see how JD's math works out.
  • MotoFusi likes this

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

When in Speedway, IN, I suggest dining at the 16th Avenue Taco Bell. Ask for the Pole Setter Special.

• mhiggins10 and BNaumann like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

When in Speedway, IN, I suggest dining at the 16th Avenue Taco Bell. Ask for the Pole Setter Special.

is that where Dixon got held up?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

is that where Dixon got held up?

Yup.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Watch your backs in Speedway

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

https://www.bing.com...F0D8B&FORM=VIRE

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I recall the hype about the Daytona Runoffs and not being at all caught up in that mostly because it was out of reasonable reach for me in terms of time, cost and distance.  Running it at night on that course was a big deal to many.  Also recall reading the qualifying week updates for SM and then watching the race live over the net as mother nature threw a curveball at the entire field and the organizers.  That could have turned into a yawner or worse a mess.  Instead it was a magnificent display of talent and perseverance by the entire field. It was really an amazing race and credit to this class. 

I've been to an Indy 500 over 25 years ago and the experience while nice turned me off to the point that I have not watched a single 500 from start to finish since. It was a VIP trip with all the trimmings but the race itself was awful.   It wouldn't surprise me at all though if the SM race is again one for the ages and one not to be missed.

• Danica Davison likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
No arguments on any of that Tom, it could end up being a spectacular race. I'm just talking about all the hype and enthusiasm over the venu. A lot of people really are extremely excited to race there, including more than a few that typically don't run majors, and it will show in the entries. Heck, there are 43 HP cars registered! I didn't know there were that many in the country. I don't know what the record is for total entries but I won't be surprised if it gets broken.

To each his own of course and if all goes reasonably well it could be a real boost for the club in terms of ongoing participation. I'm happy to see that, and that financially the club won't end up getting burned by too few entries. I guess the survey they did some years back and the decision to move the Runoffs each year are paying off.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Based on Domm's math I expect to qualify in the 50s. We'll see how myself and others pick up a new track. Wish I had more time and money for testing. I've never seen the leaders in an SM race since I started. We'll see how JD's math works out.

I hope to be right there with ya!

I'm excited about going to Indy to race (hopefully).  Is it the best roadcourse we race at?  No way!  But its an important place for motorsports in the US.  Besides the Runoffs being in Indy...I just love the feel of the event.  2013 at Road America was awesome.  I was too cheap to go out to Laguna, and instead totaled my car at the Glen.  Couldn't build a new one in time for Daytona, and I regret that.

About lapped traffic...I don't think the 72 qualifiers will be slower than 107%...let alone 115%.  I also think they will all be experienced enough to get out of the leaders way.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

The record of entries was absolutely smashed by Indy.  I found the number somewhere but can't find it again.  I believe the record was set at the 2014 Runoffs at Road America with 700+.  And I am pretty sure we eclipsed that (or came very close to) in the very first 24 hours of registration this year, where there was 763 in the first day.  As of right now we are up to 944 entries which is absolutely insane.  Indy may not be the best "driver's track" in the country ... but this will be one for the record books as the most competitive runoffs event for ALL classes that we have ever seen.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Domm, you may be right about the 107%.  I see that the final grid at Daytona was essentially within that margin less one guy who managed only one Q session.  But some people learn a new track a LOT faster than others and there are likely more first-timers for Indy, so I'm guessing the spread will be wider at least until it is paired down to 72 cars.  Has anyone formally proposed something less than 115% for the biggest groups? 

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
[quote name="John Davison" post="101338" timestamp="1501157910"]The record of entries was absolutely smashed by Indy.  I found the number somewhere but can't find it again.  I believe the record was set at the 2014 Runoffs at Road America with 700+.  And I am pretty sure we eclipsed that (or came very close to) in the very first 24 hours of registration this year, where there was 763 in the first day.  As of right now we are up to 944 entries which is absolutely insane.  Indy may not be the best "driver's track" in the country ... but this will be one for the record books as the most competitive runoffs event for ALL classes that we have ever seen.[/quote
Define competitive for me.

Most entrants or average quality of entrants? The front end looks like any big race, we aren't getting any west coast talent (as if there is any )so pretty much we have a watered down super tour.

Just kidding west coast, you guys have Drennan. He's ok.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Well, obviously the SM race is almost always super competitive but I am not just referring to Spec Miata either.  I am talking about all classes. The GT races have been abysmal over the last couple years. I mean ... Daytona has probably the fast straightaway in the country around the tri oval and they only had 7 GT1 cars start the race?  And the winner won by like 30 seconds and three of the other cars broke so you had four at the checker.  This year we have 21 GT1 cars!  We have 53 STL cars which is definitely the most competitive field we have seen for that class.  Shoot even some of the formula car groups are getting close to the 72 mark. 100 SRF3 and 48 SRF.  So I think overall it will be the most competitive runoffs we have ever seen.  I am excited to be able to watch some racing of some of the other classes too and scheduled my flight back home late Saturday so I can watch the STL race.  Hoping that Leverone gets one there!

Sure, we have mostly the same core group of guys at the front of the SM grid. So, I will say this is "one of" the most competitive SM groups we have ever seen at a Runoffs. We could go back and forth all day long about it being the most competitive. With more entries comes more slow guys but also comes more talent. In my opinion I think there is 15-20 guys that if they won, I would be like "I am not surprised at all". 

I hate how long the runoffs is and how expensive it is ... but I am really looking forward to my first runoffs with this stellar group of guys and seeing where I fall in to place! Also excited for the antics all week long too :)

• Richard Astacio and sentercut like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Martinracing98

Martinracing98

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

I do not understand how people can not be excited about Indy. Part of racing cars is pulling into the tracks that greats have raced at. That is why I moved from karts. I wanted to race "real" tracks. I raced a few car focused tracks and decided 115 around concrete walls in a kart was a long term bad plan. Weather on the small sprint tracks at 75 or 115 on auto racing tracks nothing compares to karts for 4 wheel competition. At Gateway we ran SRF lap times while in a pack 10 deep and 2 wide even around the banked oval. Shifter kart starts are insane like nothing I have experienced in racing. Sitting stopped with a kart 12 feet in front of you holding the engine at 13k waiting to drop the clutch, then launching in a kart that gets to 60 in about 4 seconds. 

Going to SCCA was because it is good racing at exciting and historic venues, not because it is better racing then karts, or even as good. Indy may or may not result in the real exciting racing, but it absolutely checks the mark for historic. I look forward to getting there, and am going to enjoy every minute.

• powerss likes this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

That is a good attitude. I am the same way. Whether I finish first or 30th ... I will have a good time. I will be taking it seriously for once because all the money I am spending but that wont stop all the fun antics throughout the week. 

Yeah, it is a cool track which is why I planned on doing it once it was announced, but I am more excited for the competition on the track and hanging out with everyone off of the track for a week more than about just racing at Indy.

• Dave Cox and DrDomm like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

one thing is for sure, I think it was a smart move that SCCA started to move the runoffs around. they were stuck at Mid Ohio and Road America for a long time. Its good to get to other places.

I hope VIR gets a draw, and honestly, I think Pitt Race is capable of being a runoff track.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

I read on the Roadraceautox.com forum that someone (Greg Amy) heard a rumor about Pitt Race and CMP are in serious negotiations with SCCA to host the 2019 Runoffs.  But who knows how true that is ...

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

one thing is for sure, I think it was a smart move that SCCA started to move the runoffs around. they were stuck at Mid Ohio and Road America for a long time.

I read on the Roadraceautox.com forum that someone (Greg Amy) heard a rumor about Pitt Race and CMP are in serious negotiations with SCCA to host the 2019 Runoffs.  But who knows how true that is ...

Nelson Ledges is making serious moves to host the 2019 Runoffs.  I plan to win every class except Formula Vee Haf Vays Of Making You Talk.

• Raw Knuckles likes this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

"Someone Greg Amy," is a seasoned racing dude. Have had many great site chats with Greg IT guy and now IIRC STL. Have talked at couple tracks with him. I'm quite sure our friend Jim Drago likely has met Greg. 

• Jim Drago likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users