manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59

I'm getting ready to ask a question regarding the Power Plant Frame and its bushings.  Like a good netizen, I did a search of the forums for "PPF" first, to see if it has already been asked and answered.  I got "No results for PPF".  So I opened the Spec Miata Garage forum, and started looking at the headings.  On the very first page is a post titled "PPF Bolt spins at diff".

Seriously, what the hell?  Does the Search box just link to a routine that prints "No results found for <search_string>"?

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

Sorry, if you haven't made a donation to the site, no complaints will be accepted or investigated........ :)

• Mike Collins, Jim Drago, Danica Davison and 1 other like this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

So you need at least 4 letters...(not Fu@k or $h@t though) :)

Also if you're in a sub directory, it will only search that.

Another way is google it, do mazdaracers.com and whatever you're looking for.

Or you could ask too.

J~

• Jim Drago likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Asking works.  At one time we had forum nazis that complained if you asked a question before searching, but at this point you have really nice people that genuinely want to help.    

• Jim Drago, Danny Steyn, DrDomm and 2 others like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Asking works.  At one time we had forum nazis that complained if you asked a question before searching, but at this point you have really nice people that genuinely want to help.    

I've been a forums junkie for a long, long time.  I would never THINK of posting a question before doing a search on it.  Old habits die hard.  I didn't know there was a 4 char minimum for search strings!  As it turns out, the existing thread on PPF bolts was on-topic for my question, so I just piggy-backed onto that thread.

• Jim Drago likes this

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Use Google.  type your search term and put 

site:mazdaracers.com

in the query and the Google engine will use only results from here.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...mazdaracers.com

• manthony121 likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Cool, how did you make the video ?

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I'm getting ready to ask a question regarding the Power Plant Frame and its bushings.  Like a good netizen, I did a search of the forums for "PPF" first, to see if it has already been asked and answered.  I got "No results for PPF".  So I opened the Spec Miata Garage forum, and started looking at the headings.  On the very first page is a post titled "PPF Bolt spins at diff".

Seriously, what the hell?  Does the Search box just link to a routine that prints "No results found for <search_string>"?

Nothing like using "crappy" in the title of the thread to describe a free website that provides answers to your questions   ;)

• Andy Mitchell, Danica Davison and manthony121 like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Nothing like using "crappy" in the title of the thread to describe a free website that provides answers to your questions   ;)

Jim fix your crappy website! You gotta give the people what they want! :D

• Jim Drago likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Cool, how did you make the video ?

J~

http://lmgtfy.com/?q... a lmgtfy video

Sorry, couldn't resist...     :wacko:  :buried:  :toast:

• Johnny D likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

http://lmgtfy.com/?q... a lmgtfy video

Sorry, couldn't resist...     :wacko:  :buried:  :toast:

Yup, people ask me stuff in conversation and I say what are you asking me for...google it.

J~

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

In defense of Mr. Anthony, the thread titles are limited to only so many characters kinda like a tweet.  Like a Trump tweet, the true empathetic meaning cannot be properly conveyed within such constraints. 

• Jim Drago likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

"Crappy" was meant to describe the search function, not the web site in general!  And I stand by that description.  The web site is generally excellent.  The search function, not so much.  At the very least, if you enter too few characters in the search string, it should tell you that, not say "no results".  That is an error masquerading as a normal result.  Bad!

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

"Crappy" was meant to describe the search function, not the web site in general!  And I stand by that description.  The web site is generally excellent.  The search function, not so much.  At the very least, if you enter too few characters in the search string, it should tell you that, not say "no results".  That is an error masquerading as a normal result.  Bad!

That's something you need to take up with Invision not Drago.  This format of forum uses the same sort query, a stock query of a database, no context.  The minimum character search is used to limit the scope of the searches (ie. resources) and unfortunately it catches some relevant terms.  It's a limitation of the technology used.   The first time you mentioned it was honest enough.  Now you're whining.  You aren't telling anyone in this thread something they don't already know.  And you're being a dick about it.

It's an easy fix by using the site: option in Google.  It's at least 10-15 years old.  I was using it back when back in the Daniels days on this site (though it was specmiata.com).   The built in search capability (or lack thereof) is the price you pay for using the site.  The work around is easy enough.

• Jim Drago likes this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

At the very least, if you enter too few characters in the search string, it should tell you that, not say "no results".  That is an error masquerading as a normal result.  Bad!

This looks just like a Trump Tweet! I love it! #MakeSMGreatAgain!

Ironically, Trump actually just tweeted at 8:03 AM after reading this:

"Surprised @manthony121 hasn't been hired by the Fake News Network yet! Mazdaracers is the BEST forum in the World! I know it. You know it. Everybody knows it! Can't trust that guy! Sad! #MSMGA

• manthony121 likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

That's something you need to take up with Invision not Drago.  This format of forum uses the same sort query, a stock query of a database, no context.  The minimum character search is used to limit the scope of the searches (ie. resources) and unfortunately it catches some relevant terms.  It's a limitation of the technology used.   The first time you mentioned it was honest enough.  Now you're whining.  You aren't telling anyone in this thread something they don't already know.  And you're being a dick about it.

It's an easy fix by using the site: option in Google.  It's at least 10-15 years old.  I was using it back when back in the Daniels days on this site (though it was specmiata.com).   The built in search capability (or lack thereof) is the price you pay for using the site.  The work around is easy enough.

I'm sure Drago was just being playful with his comment, but I didn't want him to think I was calling the forum itself "crappy".  I find this forum very useful, and the people who post here very friendly and helpful.  I have sent an email to Invision, pointing out the problem.  Hopefully they will correct it.  I like the suggestion about using the site: option in Google; I didn't know about that trick.  However, it's a bit of a kludge.  If you are going to have a Search box on your web site, it should work the way you would expect.

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

ManAnthony121- Make a donation or STFU :)

• Danica Davison likes this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

ManAnthony121- Make a donation or STFU :)

I'd love to!  (Donate, not STFU)  Where's the "Donate" button????  Does it work like it's supposed to???

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

FWIW.. We are in process of updating. Unfortunately everything with Invision is a patch or plug in. The latest software doesn't support the classifieds, it is a totally new set up . I am trying to get my IT guy to get it all going. Not sure if search is any better or not in new version

Jim 

• Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Since it is Drago's site ... the donate button actually cheats too! You type in 20 dollars and then it miraculously withdraws $40 from your account! :D

*joking*

• Caveman-kwebb99, Jim Drago, manthony121 and 1 other like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users