• Car Year:2001

John Davison- Make a donation or STFU LOL

• Danica Davison likes this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Jim, I am told Danny is an excellent website guy :)

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

I should get a cloud raining money don't you think Jim?

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
Donations are an item in the "store"
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I do like manthony121 comment about the "no results" it should say somewhere you need more than 3 letters in your search.

Nobody told me, I just figured it out after a while.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I'm sure Drago was just being playful with his comment, but I didn't want him to think I was calling the forum itself "crappy".  I find this forum very useful, and the people who post here very friendly and helpful.  I have sent an email to Invision, pointing out the problem.  Hopefully they will correct it.  I like the suggestion about using the site: option in Google; I didn't know about that trick.  However, it's a bit of a kludge.  If you are going to have a Search box on your web site, it should work the way you would expect.

half playful ;) 

Donate button is below the active threads box as well

• MotoFusi likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

I just did a search for a DIY tire rack for my new trailer. Instant gratification! Took members advise and ordered up on the supplied link. Fantastic!!!!

Jim your search engine sucks.........Not

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59

There!  I just donated $50 for the upkeep of this wonderful web site with the crappy search engine that returns a normal looking, but incorrect, result when it encounters a user input error, but no doubt does a wonderful job of searching when the user input is valid.  NOW can I continue to whine?  I need an outlet for my frustrations, and my dog will bite me if I try to take them out on her.

• Jim Drago and MotoFusi like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Try masturbation. I would say sex but doubtful with the whiney problem you have a willing partner and your dog is out of the question! :)

• Danica Davison and manthony121 like this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

You now can whine all you want. I will of course have to put you on autotuneout LOL

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Try masturbation. I would say sex but doubtful with the whiney problem you have a willing partner and your dog is out of the question! :)

hahahaha! He should use the search function for some topical creams for that burn! :D

• MotoFusi likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I'm sure Drago was just being playful with his comment, but I didn't want him to think I was calling the forum itself "crappy".  I find this forum very useful, and the people who post here very friendly and helpful.  I have sent an email to Invision, pointing out the problem.  Hopefully they will correct it.  I like the suggestion about using the site: option in Google; I didn't know about that trick.  However, it's a bit of a kludge.  If you are going to have a Search box on your web site, it should work the way you would expect.

I'm sure that Invision will get right on that.   Over the last decade or so in tens of thousands of deployments they haven't figured it out...

I hear you on the interface issues with the error messages and not knowing there is a minimum character amount.  Those are relatively easy fixes.  If you wish to have it behave like Google or Bing it's more complex.  This is a SQL based message board and is not capable of doing that.  The tech used does not support it natively.  That means you have to extend it with that functionality.  That's where the cost/time comes into play.

Google does offer a program to extend the functionality but you have to allow them to serve ads to your visitors which in turn sets third party (Google) tracking cookies.  There was a paid program where you could turn off the ads and branding but they ended that option a couple of months back.  Or you could license a Google search appliance for several thousand dollars a month.  Or you could use Apache Solr/Lucene.  That's assuming the hosting account has the capability or the access to the account required to implement the changes.

This isn't Facebook.  Even if the donations were to cover the hosting costs there is one thing that they can't cover and that's the time of those involved in the operation of the site.  People support the site because they believe in it and the community.  If your time is in such short supply you can't be bothered with some small workarounds without complaining about it to get a wealth of information at no cost to you, I'm certain there are several here that would gladly take a paid gig as your personal consultant.

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

For anyone interested, and many who are not, I just got a reply from Invisionpower.com tech support.  Their answer was to contact the site owner.  So Jim, they think YOU should patch any bugs in their software.  When you're not busy building cars.

• Jim Drago likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Isn't the patch to use google ??

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

A better patch would be:

if len(search_string) < 4: raise InputError(search_string_too_short)

How hard was that?

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

A better patch would be:

if len(search_string) < 4: raise InputError(search_string_too_short)

How hard was that?

Wait a minute, you want error messages to make sense?

• Dave Cox likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I just want to make a car (or toaster, or washing machine, or shower faucet) that behaves exactly like all my Silicon Valley "engineered" [sic] products do.  You wake up one morning, all the controls have moved somewhere else - you just want to get to work, but instead you have to get on the Internet to find out how to start the car and turn on the heater.  The dashboard is suddenly gray on white, in the thinnest possible type - because that looked great in a conference room to 25 year olds wearing fake glasses, but sucks for real people doing real work wearing real glasses that are working (potentially outside in sunlight) on something other than crushing animated candy or killing animated pigs with animated birds.  If the car gets wet? Destroyed, buy a new one.  If the car hits RR tracks?  The windshield shatters - buy a new one.  So when you buy your new car, the first thing you do is buy a "Case" for it, so that the car won't break the first time you slam the door too hard.  If the car is more than 2 years old?  Sorry, it can't go over 25 mph.  Every 11 days, it wants to "download" something, presumably so that Russians can't steal your 401k and make your car swerve into oncoming traffic.  (I realize that German cars basically work similarly to what I'm already describing, but I don't own any of those ...)

So yeah ... I, too, wish we could all get better products from the crappy electronics, and even crappier, software "engineering" [sic] community! :)

• dstevens and manthony121 like this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

So yeah ... I, too, wish we could all get better products from the crappy electronics, and even crappier, software "engineering" [sic] community! :)

I think this is why this issue irks me so: we live in an age of ever increasing reliance on computers and information technology.  Hence it is extremely important that software be written well, and that good programming practices be scrupulously followed.  If this search function had been written by Drago's grand nephew for his high school computer class, that would be one thing. But this is the product of a company that sells forum software professionally.  When I contacted them about it, their answer was to contact the site owner.  I work in the medical field, where trying to get different computer systems to talk to each other without errors is a huge deal, and lives literally depend on things working well.

OK, that's enough whining/ranting for now.  Move along.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Offshoring
  • 38bfast likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I think this is why this issue irks me so: we live in an age of ever increasing reliance on computers and information technology.  Hence it is extremely important that software be written well, and that good programming practices be scrupulously followed.  If this search function had been written by Drago's grand nephew for his high school computer class, that would be one thing. But this is the product of a company that sells forum software professionally.  When I contacted them about it, their answer was to contact the site owner.  I work in the medical field, where trying to get different computer systems to talk to each other without errors is a huge deal, and lives literally depend on things working well.

OK, that's enough whining/ranting for now.  Move along.

Did you have a crusty old professor teach you about the Therac-25 like I did?  :D

The problem, as I see it, is every first world human on the globe is using 100-1000+ computerized "apps" daily, versus how many in, say, 1978?  There simply are not enough good "programmers" (roses by any other name are still roses) to go around.  I have watched the quality of all software-equipped devices go down steadily over time.  President Speedwell would not be providing any financial aid for Icelandic Poetry or Bassoon Performance Degrees (sorry, Oberlin College), but we would be doing everything we could to get as many coding-competent people pumped through highschool, community college, and universities as possible.   

So yeah, the search function here sucks.  You know what sucks EVEN MORE?  The iTunes Store search function.  I can literally know the name of the app I am looking for, type it in, and not find it there.  For whatever reason, this is a bigger problem on my iPad than the iPhone.  I have no idea who makes the software for this site, but what is Apple's excuse for sucking so hard on something so fundamental and easy?  Even if Apple isn't doing anything much more important than this website does for humanity ;), Apple has the money and resources to do it well.  Why don't they?

• Alberto and Steve Scheifler like this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users