Photo

Anyone driven the NA Miata on Assetto Corsa?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Ethan Nichols

Ethan Nichols

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:Treasure Coast
  • Car Year:1999

I find it to be a very accurate representation of my stock 

NB. So I've been training heavily in the Sim while I'm saving money to get my full Comp license, as well as my car prepped for Spec Miata.

Not exactly about racing a real Mazda, but I'm curious how many others have found this glorious Sim, It's unlike anything I've ever used, in terms of realism and putting you there. 

If anyone is on PSN with a good wheel and Assetto, are you up for running some Miatas? :)

• Danica Davison likes this

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Ethan, you will find that most of us here are running iRacing and either using the MX-5 Cup Car, or the newer ND Global Cup Car. The tracks are as close to identical to the actual tracks, even the smallest bumps and undulations. The MX-5 Cup car (circa 2015) is very close to the NB cars other than the 6-speed transmission

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Yeah, I am with Danny on this one. Asetto Corsa is good...but I think the realism and physics have gotten a lot better on iRacing over the last couple years. This is why almost all of us have it. 

Also, the online play/competition is the best out of any sim, hands down. No other games come close to the talent level that is on iRacing. I have raced against Formula 3 & 4 drivers from Europe and some of the IMSA/World Challenge guys, and all down through the ranks.  A lot of very good Spec Miata talent represented on their as well. I would transition to iRacing if you could.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ethan Nichols

Ethan Nichols

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Yeah, I am with Danny on this one. Asetto Corsa is good...but I think the realism and physics have gotten a lot better on iRacing over the last couple years. This is why almost all of us have it. 

Also, the online play/competition is the best out of any sim, hands down. No other games come close to the talent level that is on iRacing. I have raced against Formula 3 & 4 drivers from Europe and some of the IMSA/World Challenge guys, and all down through the ranks.  A lot of very good Spec Miata talent represented on their as well. I would transition to iRacing if you could.

First off, nice drive at Daytona to both of you, Sorry about your mishap, Danica. :( That race was the nail in the coffin for me, I'm hooked! 

Sigh, I guess I'll have to ditch the PS4 as a racing sim. Hmm, I always heard that AC was superior to iRacing as well, in terms of physics, FFB, and the laser scanned tracks. It feels pretty good to me, but I'll take your guys' word for it though. You've got me wanting to get a new PC and run iRacing. Though I know that's not in the SM budget right now.   <_< Do they offer a free trial of sorts? 

I'm not sure my pc can handle the load of any real sim, but I'd love to try it out. What type of hardware are you guys running? 

Ethan Nichols

Ethan Nichols

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

I will certainly jump in the Mx5 Cup car on Assetto in the meantime though, I didn't realize the Spec Miata cars had that much advantage over stock. That thing is FAST. Sadly no street tires are available for that car in AC, and the lack of ANY real American tracks is kind of a drag too :(

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Budget for a VR headset and the hardware to run it. Fan-freakin-tastic.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ethan Nichols

Ethan Nichols

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Budget for a VR headset and the hardware to run it. Fan-freakin-tastic.

Meh, Is it really worth the tradeoff for two Hoosier SM7's or half of the SM suspension kit? xD I vowed not to waste anymore money unless I waste it on Mia. (my NB, I'm single). 

JSmart

JSmart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Number:76

Meh, Is it really worth the tradeoff for two Hoosier SM7's or half of the SM suspension kit? xD I vowed not to waste anymore money unless I waste it on Mia. (my NB, I'm single). 

Yes, actually. I can't properly describe how much better the Oculus is than triple screens; You have to experience it for yourself.

Besides, when you're starting out you don't need new tires. Run take-offs until you're within a second of the front-runners.

• Joe (dad) Jordan, JRHille and Danica Davison like this

Jordan Smart

SM #76

deyan

deyan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:MI

I actually just went to Mid Ohio for the first time, and before I went, I renewed my iracing subscription for the first time in years. I was amazed how close the real track in a spec miata was to iracing with the mx5 cup car. It helped me get comfortable with the track almost right away. 

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Yes, actually. I can't properly describe how much better the Oculus is than triple screens; You have to experience it for yourself.

Besides, when you're starting out you don't need new tires. Run take-offs until you're within a second of the front-runners.

To Jordan's first point ... the Oculus is really cool and I would buy that over triple screens because it costs the same. However, my only complaint is the "window-screen" effect it has, so I think I want to wait until the version 2.0 comes out. I also heard they are developing a newer model that will only cost like $200 which would be really cool and really affordable.

To the second point, which I would also add to Ethan's tires question in the other thread, Jordan is spot on. Running on new tires all of the time when you are first starting out will be a waste of money as you aren't hitting the limits of the tires.  It also doesn't help you learn to really wheel the car.  I started in late 2012, and I didn't buy my first set of the "purple crack" until my first Sebring Majors race in 2015.  Ethan, there are plenty of guys down here in CFR region that will give/sell takeoffs!  At the races, come hang out, drink beer, meet people, and ask people if they have any takeoffs they would be willing to get rid of. Most wont even charge you.

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11

I just train in my daily driver. Almost the same power as my SM but a little heavier and softer.

V8Miata2

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ethan Nichols

Ethan Nichols

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
Man, you guys have me drooling. I don't even have triple screens currently. :( I'm running my rig on a big television thats too far from my face for proper FOV.

https://youtu.be/O7_royb1iko heres an old video with my rig before I updated a few things.

Ethan Nichols

Ethan Nichols

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

I just train in my daily driver. Almost the same power as my SM but a little heavier and softer.

Thats the ticket! I love being able to hit grip limits so easily on cheap tires. Plus I find the soft suspension really fun. You can really steer it with the pedals! How much different is that SM suspension? I hear its a little under damped for those springs.

Ethan Nichols

Ethan Nichols

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
Oh and to John, you guys sold me on the used tires already! I was really worried that I'd have to pay out the wazoo for tires, but you guys are awesome at helping out the new guy! :)

P.S. for some reason, I thought you were a girl for the longest time. Hahaha. Someone mentioned that you were hot in another post or somewhere xD.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Oh and to John, you guys sold me on the used tires already! I was really worried that I'd have to pay out the wazoo for tires, but you guys are awesome at helping out the new guy! :)

P.S. for some reason, I thought you were a girl for the longest time. Hahaha. Someone mentioned that you were hot in another post or somewhere xD.

So ... just because I ain't a girl means I can't be hot???

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

I finally tried iRacing and I don't really like it. The competition is good, but what you get for the cost is crap. If you want to race with people without spending money to host a race (which is absurd, wtf is the monthly fee for???) you are stuck racing the same track over and over, waiting for iRacing to rotate in the next free one. Further on the free racing the default setup for the MX-5 Global car feels terrible. Maybe it's my wheel, but recovering from oversteer is neigh impossible.

I'm only going to use it to practice Road America ($$$) occasionally because they don't have any other tracks in my region.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Interesting. It must be the new tech economy but the thing I’d be least likely to complain about is their pricing, last I looked anyway. The annual fee is certainly cheap and frequently discounted. Adding tracks is less than the cost of a decent lunch and a 1-time expense. And hosting a race is what, $0.50 per hour? No offense to you, but it has long been apparent that people really are getting massively spoiled, first with unlimited free content on the web and more recently 99 cent apps for their phones. Meanwhile, a complete bafflement to me is that they will spend hundreds per month for mostly garbage on cable TV.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

I finally tried iRacing and I don't really like it. The competition is good, but what you get for the cost is crap. If you want to race with people without spending money to host a race (which is absurd, wtf is the monthly fee for???) you are stuck racing the same track over and over, waiting for iRacing to rotate in the next free one. Further on the free racing the default setup for the MX-5 Global car feels terrible. Maybe it's my wheel, but recovering from oversteer is neigh impossible.

What wheel/pedals do you have?

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Ethan Nichols

Ethan Nichols

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

So ... just because I ain't a girl means I can't be hot???

Lol. I swear they also said you were a girl. Im pretty sure it was the Smack talk thread for the Daytona Event. Anywaus I came to watch you race so I guess you must be pretty ;D

Ethan Nichols

Ethan Nichols

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
I think it looks like good value personally, I just need to put cash into my build. Sadly a beautiful NA spec miata with a rossini built 1.8 just went for $9,500 on craigslist. In race ready condition. Such a nice car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users