• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Greg Holmberg

Greg Holmberg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:CA

On ApexSpeed.com I've been conducting a survey of operational costs for each class.

Here I'm only looking at the predictable costs that vary between the classes.

Some costs are more or less the same between classes, such as towing, hotel, food, entry fee, and so on. I am ignoring those costs.

Some costs are personal choice, and not inherent in the class, such as how much you choose to spend on your tow vehicle or RV, or paying people to support you. I am ignoring those too.

Some costs, while having some correlation to the class, are unpredictable and so difficult to quantify, such as crash repairs or engine failures. I am ignoring those too.

That leaves me with:

• tires
  • engine rebuild (by a professional)
  • gearbox rebuild
  • fuel
  • brake pads
  • other, depending on the class

I guess there are other smaller but predictable maintenance costs, such as oil changes, brake rotors, brake fluid, etc. If you think Spec Miata has above or below average expenses in these areas, let me know, and I will include them.

Drivers from many of the classes have responded with data for their class, and the result is:

a spreadsheet in Google docs.

Here's what I have for Spec Miata. If you have changes, please reply below, and I will update the spreadsheet.

Class name: SM
Engine make: Mazda
Engine model: BP
Displacement: 1800
Power at crank, HP: 126
Torque at crank, ft-lbs: 122
Weight with driver, lbs: 2,400
Purchase new, $: 35,000 professional build, SCCA Run-offs competitive
Purchase used, $: 25,000 
professional build, SCCA Run-offs competitive

Tires set, $: 836 Hoosier SM7
Tire competitive heat cycles: 12
Engine rebuild, $: 5,000
Engine competitive hours: 27
Fuel $/gallon: 3.00
Fuel gallons/hour: 8
Brake pads set, $: 264
Brake pads hours: 10
Gearbox rebuild: ?

Gearbox hours: ?

Other operational costs per weekend or per hour, $:

Thanks,

Greg Holmberg

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

PM sent...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

You might want to add rain tires to your list.

http://jenkinsracing.com

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999

Is 12 HC really a realistic "competitive" lifespan for our SM7's?   I'm just mid-pack, but I understand the guys up front are buying a set per weekend (4-6 HC's - 8 if they are using the on a test day?  -- and in the extreme case a set per race (2 sets a weekend for a double race).    I notice a significant drop in stick in the 11-12 HC range, but I don't think those that are running up front are waiting that long.

Most of the guys I used to paddock with in SCCA have abandoned the club and are racing on Toyos with NASA (and the reason they give me is that it's due to tire cost).

Is it unreasonable to ask Hoosier to make a tire with the competitive longevity of the Toyo?  We're in a spec class -- who cares if it slows us down a bit?  We're all running the same tires...

• Armando Ramirez, Danica Davison and av8tor like this

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Is 12 HC really a realistic "competitive" lifespan for our SM7's?   I'm just mid-pack, but I understand the guys up front are buying a set per weekend (4-6 HC's - 8 if they are using the on a test day?  -- and in the extreme case a set per race (2 sets a weekend for a double race).    I notice a significant drop in stick in the 11-12 HC range, but I don't think those that are running up front are waiting that long.

Most of the guys I used to paddock with in SCCA have abandoned the club and are racing on Toyos with NASA (and the reason they give me is that it's due to tire cost).

Is it unreasonable to ask Hoosier to make a tire with the competitive longevity of the Toyo?  We're in a spec class -- who cares if it slows us down a bit?  We're all running the same tires...

Yeah, the hoosier SM7 has like 2-3 competitive cycles in my opinion, but still ... nothing is better than stickers.  We need to have tires like the Toyos that just come molded at 4/32s, so you don't have to worry too much about shaving tires.

• tynor likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

Is 12 HC really a realistic "competitive" lifespan for our SM7's? 

No.  

• Danica Davison likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:98

How many heat cycles depends greatly on the track.

Some track do like new and other like tires with 6+ cycles.

• av8tor likes this

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
It's simple it boils down to who your racing against if your racing the best in the country you better have new tires, even at mid Ohio if yo have 4 hc tires that a 3 months old to someone who has 4hc for that weekend you ain't winning... If your in a regional field and you are a very good racer you can get away with 3 month old tires with 8-10 hc... It's all about what your goals and your competition level is.

If you have new toys that are not shaved or even shaved at mid Ohio you are already a loser. As you will grain the tires badly and be off pace immediatly

Most other tracks like new tires and your not usually gonna win on 4hc tire when everyone else is running 1hc tires.
  • Danica Davison likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

It's simple it boils down to who your racing against if your racing the best in the country you better have new tires, even at mid Ohio if yo have 4 hc tires that a 3 months old to someone who has 4hc for that weekend you ain't winning... If your in a regional field and you are a very good racer you can get away with 3 month old tires with 8-10 hc... It's all about what your goals and your competition level is.

If you have new toys that are not shaved or even shaved at mid Ohio you are already a loser. As you will grain the tires badly and be off pace immediatly

Most other tracks like new tires and your not usually gonna win on 4hc tire when everyone else is running 1hc tires.

I second this. And the line I bolded is very accurate. Don't even bother showing up for the majors races, wanting to do well, if you don't want to spend money on the "purple crack".  We tend to have an agreement on our team not to sticker up for regionals unless we have no tires, which help keep the costs down and to keep it more about having fun.  However, some guys (Danny Steyn) still love putting stickers on at every regional.  And that's when we say, "have at it" if you want to win that badly.  You cant hide money!

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Greg Holmberg

Greg Holmberg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:CA

The biggest cost surprise (to me, at least) in the data I've gathered for the Miata is the cost of maintaining a competitive engine, and the small number of hours until it's not competitive.  The Miata seems to require a pro-built engine to get competitive power, and then no longer makes competitive power after a relatively few number of hours.

To be clear, in this survey, I'm not asking for the cost of the average mid-pack car in a regional race. In order to make an apples-to-apples comparison across so many classes, the scenario is a car that's capable of winning a Major or finishing in the top five at the Run-offs. In some classes, such as Formula Enterprises, nearly all cars meet this criteria, so I have to make that the scenario for comparison.

Can anyone confirm these engine costs for a front-running car?

Engine rebuild, $: 5,000
Engine competitive hours: 27

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
5000-6500 for pro engine.
Competitive life 50-100 hours
So 10-20 weekends including test days
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

J. Pressman

J. Pressman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

I certainly hope a refresh on a $6,500 engine doesn't cost $5000...?  While we are at it, when one gets a pro engine refreshed, are most only doing head work, or are some going through the bottom end again as well?

2007 ARRC Champion - SSM

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Personally I go thru the entire engine. Cost range was including multiple builders cost new. Refresh is less and on a case by case basis
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I certainly hope a refresh on a $6,500 engine doesn't cost $5000...?  While we are at it, when one gets a pro engine refreshed, are most only doing head work, or are some going through the bottom end again as well?

New head(rebuilt) can be purchaced for $1500-$2000 if you want to leave the bottom end alone. But a "refresh" in my mind means complete disassemble and re-assemble...then any wear items that need to be replaced and associated cleaning and machining if there is still room! Labor is money!

Knock on wood...my 2 season old motor still makes the same power and torque!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

New head(rebuilt) can be purchaced for $1500-$2000 if you want to leave the bottom end alone. But a "refresh" in my mind means complete disassemble and re-assemble...then any wear items that need to be replaced and associated cleaning and machining if there is still room! Labor is money!
Knock on wood...my 2 season old motor still makes the same power and torque!

That's cause you live the land of milk and honey lol

K. Webb