Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Maybe I should start a different thread but...There's PWC, Conti, Trans Am (Ernie Jr) etc.

If you're trying to go pro, how do you pick or is it whatever sponsor deal you can come up with.

Or the Mazda Ladder?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I don't count.. You said Danny counted and was close to 100,  I knew I had to have more than him :) :)

hahahah GOT EEEM :D

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Maybe I should start a different thread but...There's PWC, Conti, Trans Am (Ernie Jr) etc.

If you're trying to go pro, how do you pick or is it whatever sponsor deal you can come up with  Daddy's money can afford.

Or the Mazda Ladder?

J~

Fixed it for you

• dc2696 likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I was saying this weekend Time, Money and Talent, not so much the later.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:PA
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:44
If you want it bad enough...where there is a will, there's a way.

Would I like to be a true "pro" driver in a factory supported ride? Sure, who wouldn't! I enjoy racing so much because it challenges me in many different ways. It is also a release from a very hectic/stressful career and makes that all worth it. Will I ever get offered a full ride while in my 30's? Probably not. However, when you go out, kick ass and put yourself in the right place at the right time, anything is possible.

If your (generally speaking) arguement for SM is based on your lack of interest in laying out the $$, don't take away from those may have a genuine interest in learning more...that's the point of this thread. I agree there is great competition at the Super tour level. If you're looking for something more but not willing to commit to the cost of a Conti or Weathertech ride, GMX5 has a lot to offer.

PWC is even more $$$ for those who think that's an alternative. Add onto that the mixed car classes and you end up with a mountain of excuses for why you didn't win. I love the idea of a spec series and true parity. A win there holds a lot of value for me.
  • Jim Drago, ajcjr and Richard Astacio like this

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

2016 NASA Eastern States Champion

2015 & 2016 US Majors Tour National Points Champion

2015 & 2016 Northeast Majors Tour Conference Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Fair enough, good points.

By all means if you can do it and learn more absolutely.

No disrespect. You have to pony up a fair amount of money to run a season to go to the runoffs.

I've seen talented drivers make and not make the pros.

I've seen people that had the money but not the skill to be on track.

And I've seen ^ turn into very talented drivers, so...

Would Lamb like to comment on why he's running this year ?

He's been in and out of Pro correct ?

You have a hand full running the Runoffs and were on TV this weekend or were mentioned. I'm not sure they'll share.

J~

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Tyler I agree of all the pro racing mx5 cup makes the most sense, it also opens a door if you can win the scholarship which Gallagher has done more then once now!

I can't say I know this for sure but I don't think Pat's dad is paying all his racing bills.

The kid has won at every level except spec Miata, but I guarantee he can win in my car just not in the pos he was driving.

I personally have no heart burn about anyone who outspends me in sm let alone pays for a ride in the pros! It's just not my aspiration in life to do that, doesn't make me right and them wrong or visa versa...

You only live once and short of bankrupting yourself, or running an illegal paycheck advance business to race pro I truly believe everyone should go for their dream!
  • Jim Drago, mellen and Danica Davison like this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

If you're trying to go pro, how do you pick or is it whatever sponsor deal you can come up with.

Or the Mazda Ladder?

J~

Gee, been waiting for Ernie Jr. name to come up again. It was but a couple years ago many were beating the $hit out of Breathless Performance. Is dad still cheating or does kid have some real talent? I'm going with kid has some real talent. Somethin similar to this occurred when Tom Thrash (RIP) of Houston came through the Spec7 class (the spec7 site constantly accused him of cheating) and moved into E production. Tom was a very talented driver and fine human who I'm very happy to have known.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Gee, been waiting for Ernie Jr. name to come up again. It was but a couple years ago many were beating the $hit out of Breathless Performance. Is dad still cheating or does kid have some real talent? I'm going with kid has some real talent. Somethin similar to this occurred when Tom Thrash (RIP) of Houston came through the Spec7 class (the spec7 site constantly accused him of cheating) and moved into E production. Tom was a very talented driver and fine human who I'm very happy to have known.

He ran the lower level in Trans Am with little (like 2) competition in Mustang and moved up to the big leagues in Trans Am and been running clean beating the rest in a Mustang.

Seems the others have an off towards the end.

J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

He ran the lower level in Trans Am with little (like 2) competition in Mustang and moved up to the big leagues in Trans Am and been running clean beating the rest in a Mustang.

Seems the others have an off towards the end.

J~

Admittedly in TA4 the competition was thin and he ran 10 races to 2nd place who ran 8 races and most the others ran 5 races.

Your surely not suggesting the competition is thin in TA this year where he has 6 wins in 8 races, oh and in 1st place at the moment. At Road America he beat homer Cliff Ebben who also drives a Mustang. Point is, is his dad still cheating?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Admittedly in TA4 the competition was thin and he ran 10 races to 2nd place who ran 8 races and most the others ran 5 races.

Your surely not suggesting the competition is thin in TA this year where he has 6 wins in 8 races, oh and in 1st place at the moment. At Road America he beat homer Cliff Ebben who also drives a Mustang. Point is, is his dad still cheating?

TA is not thin.

Cliff ran from the back of the pack and his tires were toast when he got to Ernie or Ernie would of lost.

I consider Cliff a better driver than almost everyone running currently even Ernie but Ernie's 2nd in the list. (Fresh blood in a AARPish crowd)

I don't think he cheating, he's earning each race by running clean. Probably has good equipment, nothing wrong with that.

J~

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Would Lamb like to comment on why he's running this year ?

He's been in and out of Pro correct ?

J~

I'm not putting words in Todds mouth.. Todd happens to be a professional level driver, coach and race team owner.  So he likely goes where his customers/clients want to go

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Not to put words... to say stay current with the car, setup, coaching required ??

J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Cliff ran from the back of the pack and his tires were toast when he got to Ernie or Ernie would of lost.

J~

Johnny, please don't let the facts cloud your opinion.

TA Qualifying - 8/26/2017

1 Ragginger Camaro

2 Francis, Jr Mustang

3 Ebben Mustang

http://gotransam.com/news/?cid=67262

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Is dad still cheating or does kid have some real talent? 

These two things are not mutually exclusive.

While it is obvious that Ernie Jr has talent. I don't remember anyone questioning the kids ability. I think most of the Florida gang was concerned over a Earl Woods type dad destroying the reputation of a 16 year old kid. They warned him that the car was not right.  Tried to get him to clean the car up and the car was found non compliant in a VERY casual inspection, which should not have happened.  

• Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Not to put words... to say stay current with the car, setup, coaching required ??

J~

I dont think required.. But if working with a coach week in and week out and you have aspirations to race in a pro series. It is certainly easier to be coached by a front runner in the same car, same conditions etc. 

• Johnny D likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Johnny, please don't let the facts cloud your opinion.

TA Qualifying - 8/26/2017

1 Ragginger Camaro

2 Francis, Jr Mustang

3 Ebben Mustang

http://gotransam.com/news/?cid=67262

I was talking about Mid O, maybe I'll look for the broadcast. They driver was from like Europe or something. The name ^^ sound familiar though.

Not sure I've seen the broadcast (delayed) for RA yet. Too many races on a weekend.

J~

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:PA
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:44

No disrespect. You have to pony up a fair amount of money to run a season to go to the runoffs.

J~

Totally agree with you - no wheel to wheel road racing above Chump car is pocket change...and even that is above what some can spend.

It's all relative...relative to what you have and are willing to spend for the experience. At least at the GMX5 level there is some exposure and entertainment value for partners which can help offset the costs if you can get them to pony up.
  • Danica Davison likes this

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

2016 NASA Eastern States Champion

2015 & 2016 US Majors Tour National Points Champion

2015 & 2016 Northeast Majors Tour Conference Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Totally agree with you - no wheel to wheel road racing above Chump car is pocket change...

And from what I am hearing seeing and building for people running Chump car.. it is not cheap either. I have sold several $6000 plus miata chump engines.. multiple transmissions etc

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Todd Lamb

Todd Lamb

Driver Coach // Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

I ended up running GMX-5 because we had clients that wanted to do the series and wanted coaching from someone on track and in the same car/conditions. It's a pretty big benefit, and especially so at a track like Toronto that none of the drivers had been to.

As well we are working with Winding Road and TFB and that helped get us up to speed a little quicker as newcomers to the series. And you can't rule out the opportunity to win a big Mazda scholarship!

It was a test of perseverance the first half of the season to figure out why the #84 was off compared to our other cars...and like flipping a light switch for race 2 at Road America when we figured it out and have been a front runner since then. Frustrating yes, but we were up to the challenge and as a team we figured out the issue. As a driver it certainly teaches you to drive within your limits and get the most out of the car even if that's a 7th place finish. So there's always a learning element to these things, and getting out and running different cars and series against different racers exposes you to so much more as a driver. I have learned a ton over the season by competing instead of just observing, and that will serve us well moving forward.

• Johnny D, juliancates, Jim Drago and 6 others like this

Full disclosure: SMAC chairman, my opinions do not reflect anything to do with the SMAC unless specifically stated.

Todd Lamb
Atlanta Speedwerks
www.atlspeedwerks.com
SpeedShift Transmissions - reliability and performance

Spec Miata / Spec Boxster / Spec Cayman specialist

Spec MX-5 Challenge Series Director

Global MX-5 Cup team

MX5 Cup Champion - Has won a Season in the MX5 Cup Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Majors Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users