Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Most are still running on their own dime or doing something with your own company advertise wright-off ?

How many drivers are sponsored in MX-5 cup ?

Is Mod Space a sponsor or driver company ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I ended up running GMX-5 because we had clients that wanted to do the series and wanted coaching from someone on track and in the same car/conditions. It's a pretty big benefit, and especially so at a track like Toronto that none of the drivers had been to.

As well we are working with Winding Road and TFB and that helped get us up to speed a little quicker as newcomers to the series. And you can't rule out the opportunity to win a big Mazda scholarship!

It was a test of perseverance the first half of the season to figure out why the #84 was off compared to our other cars...and like flipping a light switch for race 2 at Road America when we figured it out and have been a front runner since then. Frustrating yes, but we were up to the challenge and as a team we figured out the issue. As a driver it certainly teaches you to drive within your limits and get the most out of the car even if that's a 7th place finish. So there's always a learning element to these things, and getting out and running different cars and series against different racers exposes you to so much more as a driver. I have learned a ton over the season by competing instead of just observing, and that will serve us well moving forward.

Congrats on the win and to Tyler for 2nd.  No small accomplishments, it's very tough to win in SM or MX-5.  Statistically when looking at lap times and finishing gaps you can make an argument that these 2 classes are the most competitive racing in country, pro or amateur.  NASCAR which is really a spec class as well doesn't run as close when they get on the road racing tracks. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Thinking Ahead: Want To Drive Global MX-5 Cup In 2018?

The 2017 season isn't yet over, with the SCCA Runoffs, NASA East and West Championships and pro series like Pirelli World Challenge, IMSA Continental Sports Car and Battery Tender Global MX-5 Cup still with races to run. Even so, now is a good time to begin thinking about the 2018 season, especially if you might consider moving to a new series/class. If you are moving, there are questions to ask and there are cars to acquire or build. All of that takes time, and there are risks to delaying. In 2017, we had customers who waited until January to choose their series, only to find that there were no cars available.

For amateur racers, one of the most common series to consider is Global MX-5 Cup. MX-5 Cup is an entry-level pro series and as such is relatively affordable. Another reason MX-5 Cup is popular is that it has pretty much the closest racing on the U.S. road racing scene. For example:

Mazda support is another attraction of MX-5 Cup. We are on the team owners committee and we can tell you there are some exciting changes coming. The racing will remain intense, but Mazda's $600,000 per year in prize money will be awarded in a new and, we think, better way.

However, the decision to go pro racing, even at the MX-5 level, can be more costly than many people realize. We strongly recommend getting all the facts before you decide this (or any other) series is for you.

To assist with this process, we are inviting prospective drivers to register with Winding Road Racing and get in our information loop. We'll send you a white paper explaining the costs of MX-5 Cup and we will also update you periodically as new details of the 2018 series come out, as test drive opportunities open up and as cars are offered for sale.

To register for MX-5 Cup information, simply send an email to Jeff Sexton (jsexton@windingroad.com) and indicate your interest along with a few facts about your location and your current racing.

Todd Lamb and others have cars too.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:PA
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:44

My full race #2 edit - with caution laps removed.

http://youtu.be/togFb8FpYmI

Here are some thoughts in general:

• You have to have a combination of raw speed and race craft to do well in these races - much like running a Michigan, Daytona, Homestead, etc roval type track.  Without one or the other however, you're toast.  
  • Much like SM at those tracks, the opportunity to make up for a mistake is higher because of the intense draft and pack racing - I feel like in SM once you've lost the lead pack, its so difficult make it up at a track like the Glen.  
  • Even in the front pack we were anywhere from 5-15miles per hour slower though the bus-stop than I could run by myself (and thats just the one corner I noticed it).  In the video above, you'll see me in the pack off throttle way early in a lot of corners and just trying to not run over the guy in front.   
  • Like in SM, if you go back throttle a split second late, it turns into many car lengths at the end of the straight - GMX5 even seemed to be more exaggerated.
  • The cars don't line up as nicely as our SMs do for bump drafting.  It's easy to turn people and I believe we'll be rewrapping the front bumpers after every race weekend.  
  • Despite being a victim of IndyCar's penalty system, I actually applaud them.  I have to say, even though we both agreed it was a racing incident, my penalty in race #1 made me be a bit more patient and leave just a tad more room in race #2.  Not sure we'll ever get there in SM because of the lack of live video feeds for review.    

Johnny D alluded to it in his post above and I'll reiterate my point from before.  If you can write the check, GMX5 racing has a LOT to offer someone looking for a higher level experience than what you get in club racing.  Flatout plans to have two rental cars ready for 2018 including the one I raced this weekend (in addition to myself and Matt Koskinen).  

I did the setup on the cars between testing and the race weekend, so I feel like we have a good handle on them.  I'll be acting as Flatout's lead driver and data coach for the season so we will have an on track presence to assist our drivers as well.      

• Richard Astacio likes this

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

2016 NASA Eastern States Champion

2015 & 2016 US Majors Tour National Points Champion

2015 & 2016 Northeast Majors Tour Conference Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

• You have to have a combination of raw speed and race craft to do well in these races - much like running a Michigan, Daytona, Homestead, etc roval type track.  Without one or the other however, you're toast.  
  • Much like SM at those tracks, the opportunity to make up for a mistake is higher because of the intense draft and pack racing - I feel like in SM once you've lost the lead pack, its so difficult make it up at a track like the Glen.  
  • Even in the front pack we were anywhere from 5-15miles per hour slower though the bus-stop than I could run by myself (and thats just the one corner I noticed it).  In the video above, you'll see me in the pack off throttle way early in a lot of corners and just trying to not run over the guy in front.   
  • Like in SM, if you go back throttle a split second late, it turns into many car lengths at the end of the straight - GMX5 even seemed to be more exaggerated.
  • The cars don't line up as nicely as our SMs do for bump drafting.  It's easy to turn people and I believe we'll be rewrapping the front bumpers after every race weekend.  
  • Despite being a victim of IndyCar's penalty system, I actually applaud them.  I have to say, even though we both agreed it was a racing incident, my penalty in race #1 made me be a bit more patient and leave just a tad more room in race #2.  Not sure we'll ever get there in SM because of the lack of live video feeds for review.    
Johnny D alluded to it in his post above and I'll reiterate my point from before.  If you can write the check, GMX5 racing has a LOT to offer someone looking for a higher level experience than what you get in club racing.  Flatout plans to have two rental cars ready for 2018 including the one I raced this weekend (in addition to myself and Matt Koskinen).  

I did the setup on the cars between testing and the race weekend, so I feel like we have a good handle on them.  I'll be acting as Flatout's lead driver and data coach for the season so we will have an on track presence to assist our drivers as well.

How much did Drago charge for this advertisement of the awesomeness that is MX5G, Flatout Motorsports and The Tyler Kicera.
  • Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

How much did Drago PAY for this advertisement of the awesomeness that is MX5G, Flatout Motorsports and The Tyler Kicera.

Fixed it for you!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

Fixed it for you!

Just slightly less than he pays Danny 

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Car Year:1990

I ended up running GMX-5 because we had clients that wanted to do the series and wanted coaching from someone on track and in the same car/conditions. It's a pretty big benefit, and especially so at a track like Toronto that none of the drivers had been to.

As well we are working with Winding Road and TFB and that helped get us up to speed a little quicker as newcomers to the series. And you can't rule out the opportunity to win a big Mazda scholarship!

It was a test of perseverance the first half of the season to figure out why the #84 was off compared to our other cars...and like flipping a light switch for race 2 at Road America when we figured it out and have been a front runner since then. Frustrating yes, but we were up to the challenge and as a team we figured out the issue. As a driver it certainly teaches you to drive within your limits and get the most out of the car even if that's a 7th place finish. So there's always a learning element to these things, and getting out and running different cars and series against different racers exposes you to so much more as a driver. I have learned a ton over the season by competing instead of just observing, and that will serve us well moving forward.

Todd, its inspiring to hear that even somebody with your experience is still learning alot at this stage in your career in this series.  Makes me anxious to learn more at the SM regional levels. Can't wait for my next race. 

• Todd Lamb likes this

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Fantastic drive particularly from that starting spot back in the pack a bit.

• Tyler Kicera likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Tyler Kicera: Movin’ On Up

Spec Miata racer has his sights set on a Runoffs win – and MX-5 Cup

Tyler Kicera already has a NASA National Championship to his name, having won the East title in Spec Miata at Watkins Glen International last year. Now he has his eye on the SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, intent on winning the championship and earning another invitation to the Mazda Road to 24 Shootout. Winning that would certainly help cement his plans to go to the Battery Tender Global MX-5 Cup Presented by BFGoodrich Tires in 2018.

“I’m working with Flatout Motorsports, helping them build their MX-5 Cup program,” Kicera explains. He and the team made their debut at Watkins Glen, where Kicera had a best finish of second. “We’re hoping to use that debut to generate some credibility for the team and prove our ability to field those cars and do well. Hopefully we can build a more concerted effort next year to approach the season with a multi-car team.”

Kicera just wrapped up the SCCA Northeast Conference points battle in Spec Miata and has won the SCCA national points championship two years running. In capturing that Northeast Conference championship, he feels he raced against the best in the country, giving him high hopes that he’ll do well at Indy, even with nearly 100 entries in the class.

“The number of cars doesn’t faze me much,” he says. “When I go down the list of drivers, there are a lot of really talented people in the field. But, honestly, I feel like all of the heavy hitters, a lot of the guys that are going to be contending for the win, with the exception of a couple of names, were all at VIRginia. We had a 55-car field and I managed to come away with the win both days. That gives me a lot of confidence I can at least be in contention at Indy.”

Indy could be Kicera’s last hurrah in Spec Miata because he’ll be turning his attention to MX-5 Cup after that. He says while he loves everything about Spec Miata, he also believes he’s ready for a new challenge. Fortunately, he sees a lot of similarities in the racing, if not the cars themselves.

“I think the parity in MX-5 Cup is incredible, second to none, with what Mazda’s doing with the car and keeping it a level playing field. I think Spec Miata has that as well, but it’s not as tightly controlled. The close competition, wheel-to-wheel, low-horsepower cars, I think all of that really plays well into racing and driving in MX-5 Cup. Race craft is something you really learn in Spec Miata. It’s one thing to make passes; it’s another to do it cleanly and intelligently.

“The cars are vastly different in every way,” he continues. ‘“When you drive a Spec Miata, I would say you are manhandling it. You have to be a bit of a bull with it, whereas the Global MX-5 Cup car, it’s really more of a game of finesse and slow inputs everywhere. You want to keep the car calm. I really feel the Spec Miata likes being on the edge and maybe a little bit over, and that’s where you find that last little bit of speed. In testing, I’ve learned a lot about my driving style and how to adapt that to MX-5 Cup.”

Kicera will be teaming with Matt Koskinen, and hopes to find two more drivers to join Flatout’s efforts in MX-5 Cup for 2018. Kicera’s plan is to work with the team as lead driver and driver coach.

https://www.mazdamot...ra-movin-on-up/

Tyler Kicera

Tyler Kicera

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:PA
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:44

Fantastic drive particularly from that starting spot back in the pack a bit.

Thanks Tom.  My starting position in both races was not indicative of our speed ( I think the race after the drive through running faster laps than the lead pack by myself showed it ).  We had an issue in qualifying with the timing loop being between turn 9/10.  In these cars at the Glen, to the actual SF line, you want to set your gap between turn 9/11 and get a good run down the front straight.  Then, use the massive draft and slingshot if you can around the guy ahead at the top of the esses.  Had this been brought up in the drivers meeting or had we known this was the case, we would have set gaps in the boot and I believe been in the top 3.  I had a 2:09.7 to the actual SF line, but only a 2:10.2 to the timing loop. Qualifying is quite the game as well which was pretty hectic for the first try.  A bit unfortunate, but all part of being new on the block.  

Tyler Kicera  |  YouTube 

2016 NASA Eastern States Champion

2015 & 2016 US Majors Tour National Points Champion

2015 & 2016 Northeast Majors Tour Conference Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59

Great video!  But it does make me wonder about the whole "4 wheels off" on Turn 1 situation.  That seems to be the line that everyone takes, though in the supps for the upcoming regional race, they specify that will be penalized.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Lamb

Todd Lamb

Driver Coach // Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

MX-5 Cup is run by Indycar....different rules.

• Tyler Kicera and manthony121 like this

Full disclosure: SMAC chairman, my opinions do not reflect anything to do with the SMAC unless specifically stated.

Todd Lamb
Atlanta Speedwerks
www.atlspeedwerks.com
SpeedShift Transmissions - reliability and performance

Spec Miata / Spec Boxster / Spec Cayman specialist

Spec MX-5 Challenge Series Director

Global MX-5 Cup team

MX5 Cup Champion - Has won a Season in the MX5 Cup Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Majors Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users