Photo

Understeering like the Enterprise

- - - - - suspension understeer

Best Answer JeffBaker , 09-09-2017 07:56 AM

Final thought: 6 deg of caster seems like a whole shit ton.  Are you running offset bushings in the front?  Doesn't the NA caster max out around 3-4 deg? That's all we were able to get out of it.   Incorrect caster will cause terrible bump steer.  Something that I am still battling with 2 years later on my NA.

Thanks for the feedback. Fwiw I've never had a problem getting caster. This car does have offset spherical bushings, with the Mazda corrective tie rod ends. The car will attain 7.2 degrees on both sides. I've always run 6, but now that you bring it up I will look at it and do some testing.

At the track last week, I did loosen the front swaybar and that definitely helped - but i loosened it from a setting that was previously working very well. So my feeling was that I was using lateral roll rate to compensate for some other porblem - root cause was still out there. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

JeffBaker

JeffBaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:42
Need a quick eval path:

Car has been extremely fast, competitive for several years. It's now understeering horribly.

ITA Miata with Prather/Afco spring-shock setup 750/400, ISC offset solid spherical bushings, ISC bars front/rear, R7 on 7" rims, 2515weight, perfect 50/50 cross.

-3.5 front, 6.0 caster, 0 toe, -3.0, 0 toe rear.

Recent alignment set the rake at 12.5" front, 13.5" rear.

I've messed with tire pressures, checked toe, checked camber, loosened front swaybar. Still understeers on turn entry, in pretty much every turn, but most noticable on tight, slower entry.

Race this weekend, any ideas?

thx so much,

JB

Jeff Baker

Wilton, NH

ITA Miata 42

NER SCCA

COMSCC

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Front suspension binding.  Sway bar links free?  Any evidence of chassis damage that could cause dynamic camber/caster changes?

Also check the rear for a broken sway bar mount defeating roll stiffness in the rear which would cause a significant increase in rear grip and reduction in front grip on turn in.

JeffBaker

JeffBaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
Good thought on rear, thanks. Front mounts, bushings and shackles are all good.

Jeff Baker

Wilton, NH

ITA Miata 42

NER SCCA

COMSCC

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Need a quick eval path:

Car has been extremely fast, competitive for several years. It's now understeering horribly.  During this time period have you always been the driver? Did the same guy do the current set-up as compared to when the car was extremely fast/competitive?

ITA Miata with Prather/Afco spring-shock setup 750/400, ISC offset solid spherical bushings, ISC bars front/rear, R7 on 7" rims, 2515weight, perfect 50/50 cross.

-3.5 front, 6.0 caster, 0 toe, -3.0, 0 toe rear.  Presuming nothing within the suspension is out of sorts, give each front 1/16 toe out and each rear 1/64-1/32 toe in.   

Recent alignment set the rake at 12.5" front, 13.5" rear. Don't know where your measuring. Flatten this out. If you have a 1/8 inch lower at front of pinch rails than at rear of pinch rail, that'd be a good start.

I've messed with tire pressures, checked toe, checked camber, loosened front swaybar. Still understeers on turn entry, in pretty much every turn, but most noticable on tight, slower entry.

Race this weekend, any ideas?

thx so much,

JB

Give Jesse a call, he's excellent support to his customers/shock set-up.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JeffBaker

JeffBaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the feedback. I've always been the driver. New setup, and the guy who did the setup is very fast as well, but I'm concerned about the rake setting. I've always had zero rake.

This whole thing started because I raced NHMS and consistently hit the underside of the fender with the tires. I wanted to raiss the car a bit. My normal setup guy ws not available.

Measurement is from center of axle/hub to edge of fender.

I'll try working the toe, but at Watkins, I need all the straightline speed I can get...

Jeff Baker

Wilton, NH

ITA Miata 42

NER SCCA

COMSCC

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Set car back to level.
Check ball joints.
1/16 toe out front and 1/32 toe in rear will not cost you any speed. You are racing at WGI, if the car pushes you are screwed, handling will be more important than any minuscule speed scrub from toe adjustments.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Thanks for the feedback. I've always been the driver. New setup, and the guy who did the setup is very fast as well, but I'm concerned about the rake setting. I've always had zero rake.

This whole thing started because I raced NHMS and consistently hit the underside of the fender with the tires. I wanted to raiss the car a bit. My normal setup guy ws not available.

Measurement is from center of axle/hub to edge of fender.

I'll try working the toe, but at Watkins, I need all the straightline speed I can get...

There are so many possibilities.  You've changed the tires?  You might look for something in the front that is bent or loose or binding that won't show up in a static measurement.  You're sure the tire is no longer bottoming on fender?  Also your toe setting might be more a culprit than you think.  For one, zero toe is not the least drag when you are running -3.5 degrees camber.  You've got camber scrub for sure at that setting and running 1/8" - 3/16" total out will provide less drag.  Also, the NA cars suffer from bump steer at racing ride height and max caster assuming stock steering rack position and other stock arms, knuckles, tie rod ends, etc...  That means that when you turn the wheel you are likely losing ackerman (toe out) rather than gaining it so at zero toe in a tight corner with more steering wheel angle you might actually be toeing in slightly which will cause a push for sure.  The NA cars IMO need slightly more toe out static than the NB's. 

• Ron Alan, Jim Drago, JeffBaker and 1 other like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:35
In checking Carroll Smith's book ("Tune to Win"), the front being too low will cause corner entry understeer. (Presumably from too much weight on the tires on braking causing the slip angles to reach and exceed the maximum grip too quickly..so you don't have time to catch the car?). I also wonder if the car is cross weighted at 50/50 with too much rake, that if that causes the center of gravity to change. Maybe it goes rearward? (and up) If so, as soon as you release brakes in the corner, the car is going to settle on the rear and unload the front, compounding the understeer. Probably on the tighter corners the weight transfer is much quicker..so more likely to see the issue in those types of corners.
Does the new guy for set up work on a lot of miatas? If he is used to bigger higher hp cars maybe what works for those won't work as well in a Miata?
  • JeffBaker likes this

JeffBaker

JeffBaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
Great thoughts on these, and I hadn't thought about camber vs toe that way. I do know that the camber settings are .5 degree more negative since I started running R7 over R6, and my times dropped every track, with tire temps coming in perfectly.

The car has the corrective tie rod ends and a '99 subframe/rear end. The shocks are not bottoming, for sure. The alignment is at my historical settings, save for the ride height which is 1/2" higher front/1" higher rear. This did correct the tire rub in the fender wells - I ran tape across the insdie radius of the fenders on all four sides and no marking or removal of the tape.

I was wondering about the cg. Your description matches my impression of the feel of the issue.

New guy is a Miata racer and a good fast one. He sets up both AX and road race cars.

Thank you all for diving in, it's what is great about the miata community!

Jeff Baker

Wilton, NH

ITA Miata 42

NER SCCA

COMSCC

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
This could also be a shock issue, I have found in the past that alot of the revalved shocks out there make the car handle in this way. So I would also think that a bad shock could cause this as well. Just my thoughts
  • JeffBaker likes this

K. Webb