7 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Conventional wisdom seems to be that the non-VVT (and less complicated) cars are the way to go, though marginally.  I read some threads with JIm Drago and Danny Steyn basically saying that the two cars are basically the same, with some minor variation.

If you are doing a white-board build, would you start with a VVT or a non-VVT car?

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

This should fun...

I think it's somewhat track dependent but first off the cars are so close it may not be relevant.   Personally I like the '99/'00 with slightly less weight and slightly better top end.  However for tracks with a lot of bottom of 3rd or bottom of 4th gear corner exits the VVT races well.  In the Northern conference most of the tracks except Road America are of this type. 

Anything Pre-'99 has fewer electrical gremlins and that is a plus.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Both Jim and Danny are running VVT's at the Runoffs. (2001~2005 I believe.)

https://www.motorspo...9E92F30057DFD76

Just sayin

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Indy is a vvt track by far, and this is the only time any of us will race a 99+ Miata there.

Mid Ohio is a toss up I'm between the two cars gingerman, Grattan are vvt tracks, no idea about pittrace, I always take my 99 to ATL, would take my 99 to vir and Watkins Glen, and road America if I was to choose between the two.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Remember West Coast are mostly 4 gear top gear twister tracks while back East are more 5 gears horse power track. Not Mid-O though

YMMV

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Conventional wisdom seems to be that the non-VVT (and less complicated) cars are the way to go, though marginally.  I read some threads with JIm Drago and Danny Steyn basically saying that the two cars are basically the same, with some minor variation.

If you are doing a white-board build, would you start with a VVT or a non-VVT car?

It is a toss up at most tracks. A few favor the 99 and a few the VVT, but any car can win at any track IMO.  I decided to stay with the VVT.  I think at Indy.. the VVT will be the same or better on 60-75% of the track, the exception being the best passing zone, which is at the end of the front straight. I tested there and don't think the version of your car will win or lose you the race though.  I think it would be hard for a 99 to draft past a good VVT by S/F, but possible.  A 99/00 can easily draft by before the braking zone at turn 1.   

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

June Sprints was Bender (99) Drago (VVT) and Voytek (VVT) all within a car length.

I don't think it makes any difference over the length of a race.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Okay, this is a little long winded, but I think it has some good substance.

I think it is pretty track dependent for which one is most advantageous, however, I still don't think there is much difference at the pointy end of the field for either car. I am agreeing with Danny and Jim and others on it being pretty equal. I think the biggest advantage of the VVT is that the extra torque makes up for a little mistake you may make in the corner.  So, I think for a guy who is barely keeping up with the front pack, or mid pack guy, the VVT is going to be a much better car for you because you can mask your mistakes a little bit easier.  The guys like Haldeman, Drago, Bolanos, etc ... don't make many mistakes in a race .. so it doesn't really help/hurt them for either car they choose. 

I think most of the front guys have just switched to VVT's because others have and they don't want to feel that they are at a disadvantage by running the older car, even though they really aren't. Look, Drago ran his 99 at Homestead and finished 2nd to the Cuban who has 10,000 laps at the track. Then he ran his VVT car at Sebring and finished 1st and 3rd.  Haldeman ran his rental 99 at COTA, where him and Drago in his VVT checked out both races and they split the wins.  Haldeman also ran his 99 at Nola and got a win, and 99 at June Sprints and got 2nd side by side with Drago.

I will use the Southeast because I know all of the cars and tracks well for more examples: 

Daytona:

You would think this track should be '99 track with the long tri-oval, right?.

2015: '99 domination, but I think this is mainly because Cory Collum and Alex Bolanos run very well together at Daytona and were both in 99's that year. Also, Goring won the Runoffs in a '99, but it rained and we all know how that went.  I think Blake Clements got the only VVT win that year.

2016-2017:  7 '99 wins and 5 VVT wins. So, basically even! Also, all of those races were decided within 0.0xx of a second between ALL the years of cars.  Using just my finishes, four of the races that I finished P2-P4 has a COMBINED margin of victory from first to my position of 0.623. Three of those finishes were four wide, or almost 4 wide, in this order (99, VVT, 1.8NA, 99), (VVT, 99, 99, 99), and (VVT, 99, 99, 1.8NA). Out of those finishes, the biggest margin from 1st to 4th was 0.282 seconds.  So, I would say the cars are even at Daytona as well.

Sebring:

You would think it would be a VVT track with all of the slower corners, right? Wrong, it has been dead even.

Since November 2015, there has been a dead even split of 99-VVT wins for both Majors and Regionals. I am counting the regionals in this because we have close to 10 majors capable winning drivers/car combinations that race in Florida, especially when OPM comes down too. There have been 11 VVT wins and 11 '99 wins since that time. 

Other Tracks:

Roebling majors had Selin Rollan (99) and Danny Steyn (VVT) split wins this year. 

Track record is still held by Buras in his 1.6

Road Atlanta:

Michael Carter and Selin won in their 99s, with Danny and Preston finishing right there in the VVTs. The year before, John carter, Drago, and Blake Clements dominated in their VVTs.

Long story short, I think it helps to have the extra torque of the VVT, but the division of the finishes support the theory that the cars are pretty equal and can both win on any track in any given race.  However, we went with the 99 when we built my car because Autotechnik hadn't built a VVT car yet, so we didn't want to be the test dummy.  But, since the VVT/99 seems to be about even, I would say pick the one that YOU feel is the most advantageous to you and the tracks you race. 

• Jim Drago, Preston Pardus and John Wilding like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users