Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

First Congrats to Preston, Selin and Chris for an awesome performance and well deserved podium!

Wow what a week!

We had Preston, Myself, Rich Astacio, Erik Stearns and Spencer Rutherford under our tent. Those five are covered by vastly different ages, personalities and all of us live in all different parts of the country. But while all of us worked our asses off all week, we all had a blast and all enjoyed each others company. At the end of the day, the racing is great but if you plan on being somewhere for 7-10 days, you better enjoy the people around you and we all had a blast.  That coupled with the fact that we were paddocked across from the traveling circus that is Auto tecknik home of Bolanos,Charboneau, Labounty,Collum, The peoples champion and many others.  It was a riot to see the difference in our camps.. We start at 7 am and try and leave by 5pm. They start at 5pm and try and leave by 7 am  :)  

To say that the peoples Champion and Mullet man busted my chops relentlessly on what was definitely my most frustrating Runoffs or even normal weekend in the last 10-12 years is an understatement.  Not any breaks from those guys, absolutely relentless! I really thought I was going to kill them several times. While I tried to put on a happy face and roll with the punches.  First and foremost I am a competitor.. getting my ass handed to me worse every day, then only to be reminded daily about how bad I sucked and how it was likely time to retire as all the other cars were going good was tough!  :)  I'm sure lucky those SOB's "like" me  :) All in good fun, but DAM! 

Quick summary of my runoffs.  I was fastest or top three in all my testing sessions, lost handling on the car badly and while working on the handling ( and driving) we started losing power as well and that went unnoticed as I attributed it to poor handling.   I didn't realize this as I was convinced we just needed the handling as the car has been a beast for two years and dynoed off the charts before we left.  At one point I was convinced I forgot how to drive .In the race we actually finally got the handling down and it was very apparent that we were down a few ponies as I could not draft past anyone.  So as shocking as it may sound, I was actually pleased with 13th.

Thank god we teamed up with Preston as he was our only shot at a win or a podium. This kid is the real deal, his only fault is literally just being too nice. Of course I could help him in that department  :)  We had a very good car, no better than any of our others though and Preston took to the car, the track and our way of doing things like he had been with us for years. The guy just flat out got it done. I have become very friendly with Preston, his father Dan and the family over that last two or three years and this deal just fell into place. Dan didn't have the time to get Prestons car ready or get it to Indy and we had a car and space under the tent and they trusted us. It just worked in every way it possibly could. I am beyond proud of this kid, I literally teared up giving Preston and his dad a hug as I knew how special this was. If you could bottle that moment, that is what racing is all about for me, not all the other bullshit! So my most sincere congratulations and thanks to you guys!

The other guys in the camp ( unlike me) made improvements all week. Spencer Rutherford had great shot at a top five but contact at the start led to an early retirement. Watch out for this guy, he is coming! He is driving really well and his car is now completely up to the task.  Rich Astacio made improvements all week but fell back like me on moving day. Erik Stearns in a new car moved forward after sorting the gremlins and got to a good starting position as well.

I also want to congratulate Matt Reynolds. The guy has not had a decent SM in a long time. We failed in getting his car up to speed with last minute power issues.. so I let him use my new VVT build that really was a week away from completion. He was able to showcase why he is an EP National champion. He was insode the top 5 all week in qualifying as well 

I thought I had given away the National points championship with such a poor qualifying and Chris domination of qualifying.  I was able to move up enough positions to retain my lead in the championship and win it! The first points title that I truly chased. Not the Runoffs title we all seek, but I'll certainly take it as it is representative of the year that I had and a worthy Championship by any measure. 

It was a blast seeing so many of you screwballs! I really do enjoy my time at the track. If you can say that after the week I had, it is safe to admit that I have a real problem  :)

BY THE WAY, even with all the shit talking... I salvaged my week by making sure I beat the peoples champ! Thank god for that! It would have been a VERY long off season!

• Cnj, Brian Linn, Armando Ramirez and 6 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Congrats Champ

• Danica Davison likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Thanks Jim had a blast...between the People Champ aka Danica..Spec Miata Man Drama new facebook page..and Mazda forgetting about its only 2 time national champ Jim was on 24 hr surveillance..he was on suicide watch....Thank God they found his chin splitter was cracked causing rolling resistance  :hugegrin:

It made a big difference on race day as he found his mojo..

• Jim Drago, Danica Davison, Preston Pardus and 1 other like this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Great race by all but Preston was on top the board everyday! What an incredible showing going to be a favorite to win every race he enters from now on.

Sellin also coming from back in 10th or so he made some serious early moves to make his case and looked like he may win the race several times.

Chris, the Tex cowboy, was also the class of the field everyday and had he not go pushed wide in t1 in the race he may have won. Great racing dude, not sure you could have done it without coach Blake lol...
  • Jim Drago, Danica Davison and Preston Pardus like this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

Congratulations to Preston and the East Street team!!!! well done my friends. Also a amazing run by Sellin and Chris. I and truly sad that Chris could not stand up on the podium to celebrate is fantastic run at Indy. 

Still scratching my head why we couldn't get Hille in the hunt. But thats what racing is all about. 

• Preston Pardus likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

It really was a fun week and I couldn't be happier for Preston, Selin, and Chris!  Just awesome guys! Since Chris is coming down for NASA champs, I need we need to retake a podium picture with the three of them! So Happy for all of you! 

It was fun hanging out with the Drago camp the whole week, hanging out with the Xfactor guys, Kyle Webb, and everyone else I got to meet. Thank you all for a great week!  The shenanigans, shit talking, banter, was all good and fun and don't worry ... I got a lot of shit too! :D 

Jim only beat me by cutting the course in Turn 1 after I explained to him that he would be protected by the GCR for it :) . I am just mad that I didn't get to do it myself! LOL

We REALLY put on a show and I think it showed a great representation of just how good Spec Miata drivers are!  I can not believe we made it through that race with out a double yellow and how we made it through Turn 1 with not even one spinning car. So awesome! You should all be proud!

• FTodaro and Preston Pardus like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Congratulations to Preston on the Championship and to Selin and Chris for their podium finishes.  There's a lot of youth near the front of the field, more than ever I think.  Also  it's great to see our local guys Bender and Gagliardo up there in 5th and 6th. 

Congrats also to Jim D on the Super Tour points victory and for a darned good drive in the race to close out the season.

• Jim Drago, Danica Davison, Preston Pardus and 1 other like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Strongbad

Strongbad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Year:1992

Big shout out to Preston, er 'P-Money', for one helluva drive.

Beers on me next time I see ya.

Wait, are you old enough to drink?

Joseph Strong

• Jim Drago and Preston Pardus like this

powerss

powerss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Region:ARiZONA
  • Car Number:145
Congratulations Preston! You had it down all week. I'm looking forward to seeing the race replay to watch the race craft.
  • Jim Drago and Preston Pardus like this
Steven Powers
Arizona Region
2009 SoPAC Division Champion
2013 SoPAC Division Champion
2019 Western Conference Champion

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Mike posted his video....https://www.youtube....h?v=tL_ujedPonU

These guys are a hell of a wheel man....something to strive for. 

• Preston Pardus likes this

Richard Astacio

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Congratulations Preston! You had it down all week. I'm looking forward to seeing the race replay to watch the race craft.

Mike posted his video....https://www.youtube....h?v=tL_ujedPonU

These guys are a hell of a wheel man....something to strive for. 

• Danica Davison and sentercut like this

Richard Astacio

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:5

Congrats Preston!!! I couldn't be happier for you and your family since becoming acquainted with the Pardus' this year. You and your dad made this your goal and put in the effort required to make it happen, then executed! Being a part of a father/son team myself with my father, I can only imagine how enjoyable this has been for you both. As a father myself, I would want nothing more than to see my son succeed on a scale such as you have. This HAS to feel good all-around! Live it and enjoy it!

I've enjoyed following your progress of the past few years, and have been wowed by your famous race videos enough to finally ask if we could partner up with you and be a part of your racing effort in any way you could fit us into it. You have a lot more to offer us than we do to you, and I can't thank you enough for letting us ride along with you on your championship quest for the latter part of this year. I cannot explain to you how thrilled I was to see our name alongside your session results on your sponsors list all week, then to see our decals on your car as you rolled into pit lane victorious was one of the best feeling's I've ever felt as a business owner. For this, I owe you BIGTIME!! 

I can't wait to see where you go from here and will enjoy helping you out in any way we can through that adventure!

• Jim Drago, Danica Davison and Preston Pardus like this

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

Preston Pardus

Preston Pardus

The Man. The Myth. The Legend.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Car Number:42

First off, I am overwhelmed by all the congratulations and support I have received the past few days. It means a great deal to my family and I. I have been waiting to make a post because I thought I would be able to say more however that is not the case, I'm at a loss for words. As stated in my Facebook post, to win the Runoffs would NOT have been possible without the help everyone has given me the past few years. This feat would be impossible for me to reach if it wasn't for the amazing racing community we are apart of.

As many of you know, I was not in my car for the event as Jim stated previously. The boys at East Street Racing prepared an outstanding car for me to drive all week; Jim, York, Mike, Kyle, and Robert deserve all the credit for that. Whether it was getting on the scales after each session or the amazing teamwork they provided, I am lucky I was the nut behind the wheel. It was my first time being close to the ESR group and they made me feel right at home within minutes.

The SCCA workers, corner workers, and track staff were flawless all week. There were multiple instances where the race would of went under double yellow in multiple sessions but the staff executed perfectly. Everyone made this an unprecedented world-class event for grassroots motorsports. A major shoutout to Mazda and Hoosier Racing Tire for all they do to provide us drivers with an incredible platform to race.

The race was nervous racking to say the least with many lead changes happening through the race.. I could type for days but I'll make it easy by just posting the video.. It was awesome to race door to door with everyone. Congrats to Selin and Chris as well.

I couldn't do it without the great partners at 5x Racing, Best price Trailers, Daytona 1, MOMO, Special Forces Automotive.

I want to type more but I just can not find the words right now..

• 5X Racing, powerss, Danica Davison and 2 others like this
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Car Number:10

PMONEY IS DA CHAMP BITCHEZZZ!

• 5X Racing and av8tor like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users