FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Here you go a Thread dedicated to the question: Do we need a rule change to allow a modification of the rear upper control arm for the purposes of gaining more rear camber.

Johnny maybe a poll here, i do not know how to do it.

In the end i will support what the majority feel is for the good of the class.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I posted in the other topic that I have had trouble getting over 3.2 negative on at least one corner of three different cars but first I need more information before having an opinion about new rules. Jim Drago says that they rarely if ever see this problem, and Dave Wheeler says pretty much the same barring bent parts.

Obviously I need to go back and get a better understanding of why my experience appears different. One factor is ride height and it may be that we are running a bit higher than they do. What I can’t say with certainty is how much camber gain/loss there is per unit of ride height but it is in my notes for a 1.6. Historically we have run a bit of rake, though less starting this season. Many run flat to negative rake so that’s likely at least some of it.

But should I be forced to run lower than I prefer in order to get camber that seems to work on a given corner or equal to what someone else gets because they got lucky in the parts lottery? For that matter, should we be forced to go through the significant cost and hassel to replace an otherwise good subframe just because it is slightly bent at one control arm mounting point?

I think those are some of the questions to be pondered.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

tylerbrown

tylerbrown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:07

Do we need a rule change to allow a modification of the rear upper control arm for the purposes of gaining more rear camber.

No

Tyler Brown

Sneaky Moose Motorsports - Owner

2023 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2023 June Sprints - 1st Place

2022 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2020 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2019 June Sprints - 1st Place

Design Engineer - Milwaukee Electric Tool

Facebook: https://www.facebook...oseMotorsports/

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube....le_polymer=true

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10
No
  • tylerbrown likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ccambern

ccambern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
My opinion (for what it's worth)... I've had a similar experience to Steve on my '03. At correct toe, with the wheels square to the car, and at a relatively low ride height, I can only get about 3.2 on the left and 3.0 on the right. The subframe does not appear to be bent when measured with an Advanced subframe checker and the suspension appears to be straight. Tire temps and wear patterns indicate that, at least on some tracks, the car needs significantly more camber than I can legally get. I might be able to resolve this by swapping parts, but that seems to be a rather expensive and time-consuming gamble.

The rules, as they are currently written, favor cars and suspension parts that are on the high end of the adjustment range, whether from manufacturing tolerances, previous contact, or intentional modification.

Although it's easy to check for slotted control arms, there are other ways to get more camber that would only be measurable with a set of jigs and published dimensions for each part. Very small changes to the upright or upper control arm can make a big difference in rear camber and, if done cleverly, these would be impossible to detect without special tools.

This has a created a situation where legality can not be reasonably verified, at least with the tools currently available to tech. Like it or not, "tech shed legal" is SOP for many guys at the sharp end of any competitive class. Making an item that can not be teched "illegal" simply forces us all into a devil's bargain: intentionally break a rule in the knowledge that you can never be caught, or cede an unfair advantage to less scrupulous competitors.

I love Spec Miata, but one of my main concerns when I came into the class was that it would not be possible to win legally. At the end of my second year, I'm convinced that legal cars can and do win regularly. However, I also think rear camber is an area that is being exploited by some people in ways that aren't being caught in the tech shed. And as mentioned previously, I think the variables involved in racing 15+ year-old production cars are contributing to the problem.

As we did in the front suspension, let's just make it so that every car can be easily adjusted beyond optimal. It doesn't even require purchase of new parts; it just takes a few minutes with a grinder. Level the playing field and let us stop worrying about how that car in front of us got 4 degrees.
  • Michael Novak, JRHille and Steve Scheifler like this

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

No

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

The guys who have it(plenty of camber adjustment) will never agree to let there competitors get it :)  Why are we treating one axle different than the other...really makes no sense :blink: ?  Yes...why not? Most will never have to do it...and those who do are suddenly not going to drive away from anyone but will have what all can get if they choose!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I can get plenty of rear negative in both cars with straight parts and would be supportive of a rule change that made it easier for all to do the same.  Agree with both RA and CC above.  A simple inexpensive mod could be approved and it should be a net plus for the class.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

While we are at it lets allow the use of rear NB uprights on NA cars! The rules have already been changed to accommodate the added track width!

• Jim Drago and Steve Scheifler like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Number:48SM

The guys who have it(plenty of camber adjustment) will never agree to let there competitors get it :)  Why are we treating one axle different than the other...really makes no sense :blink: ?  Yes...why not? Most will never have to do it...and those who do are suddenly not going to drive away from anyone but will have what all can get if they choose!

Offset bushings were made compliant to correct an inability to tech a part (bent spindle), not to reach a particular camber number.

Just because the reason for the "untechable non-compliant" part was to gain more camber wasn't the reason for the rule allowance.

If we're going to get into intent then we might as well permit full update/backdate with the best combinations of all four platforms.

Can you say a VVT engine in a 90 tub (lightest tub) with NB rear uprights & front subframe with about 300# of ballast in the passenger area?

(yes this is hyperbole so don't read into it anymore than what it is)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Number:48SM

Here you go a Thread dedicated to the question: Do we need a rule change to allow a modification of the rear upper control arm for the purposes of gaining more rear camber.

Johnny maybe a poll here, i do not know how to do it.

In the end i will support what the majority feel is for the good of the class.

Hellz to the no's.

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:98

Sure, slot away, but if we are changing the rule, limit camber to 3.2.

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

https://video.search...e63&action=view

• Tom Sager likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I need to order one of those

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

I need to order one of those

Got one on my desk.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

While we are at it lets allow the use of rear NB uprights on NA cars! The rules have already been changed to accommodate the added track width!

Well, while we are at it then; can we get rid of the blower, heater core, air controls, and get an sm wire harness?
  • Jason J Ball likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC

Yea, Collins' proposal looks better every year.  That and a sealed engine.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Number:94

How about a 100 pound weight reduction for drivers over the age of 50?  Quite often now we're getting our asses kicked. 

• Jim Drago and EricJ like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

How about a 100 pound weight reduction for drivers over the age of 50?  Quite often now we're getting our asses kicked. 

I know of a really good 1.6 you could buy and then vintage race.

With the weight reduction per years of age, does that mean I get 150 pounds? :rotfl:

• Tom Sager likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

can we go 3 mm bigger plate? no way I'm getting 100 lbs more out of my car :)

• William Keeling and Tom Sager like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users