Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I just wanted to give a brief out line of what was done in tech this year so those not in the tech shed can get some idea of how thorough this is getting.

First the front cars were literally brought in every session, I could be wrong but pretty certain Preston and Chris did get teched every session. In addition they pulled in about 8 cars a session and ran the usual tech procedures like stall tests, random checks and sealing. 

Post race this year they pulled the same parts off all the cars

Others may add if I forgot something

Engines:

full head inspection per the SCCA compliance tools and visual inspection

CC performed on Cyl 1

pull all valves from cyl  2,3 & 4 for inspection

pull cams to be inspected on cam doctor

pull all four rods and pistons inspect and weigh

pull crank shaft inspect for balancing and weigh for min weight

pull intake manifold off and apart for inspection

pull throttle body off for inspection

pull exhaust manifold off for inspection

pull flywheel off and check for modifications and weigh for minimum weight

block inspect bores, measure bore and stroke before disassembly

Transmission

pull out and apart, inspect gears for coatings and rem. count teeth on each gear to confirm ratios

pull shifter and inspect for short shifter

Diff

Pull diff apart and count teeth for ratio and inspect gears for coating

Driveshaft

make sure it is steel

shocks

pull both left side shocks.  dyno them for compliance

inspect springs for correct numbers

pull bump stops and check compared to Fat cat kit

upper control arm

pull off and inspect for modifications

I'm sure there was more, but my memory stinks!

Just an idea on how crazy this is getting.. We were held over night because our intake and exhaust valves did not look like the sample valves from Mazda ( which were 7 years old). the ONLY difference? The raised casting on the valve that reads "4W" looked like a different font than their 7 year old sample valve.  Mazda was going to get some new valves sent, but it would have been Monday, so they were doing some research. I asked what i could do and they said find a new valve in a sealed bag that matches mine.  Luckily Jim Stewart of Stewart engines had a bag of 8 exhaust valves still in the bag and 5 minutes from the track. I drove over there Saturday morning and picked them up, brought them to tech and showed them that the font had obviously changed and apparently I was the only one who was running new valves and it stuck out. Time to update their samples :)  Thank you Jim Stewart.  I was very glad they were looking at things in such detail. But when so many ask, "are you guys good? " while in tech.. My answer is always the same.. We should be fine.. but something can always pop up that catches you completely by surprise. In the end all was good

and we passed, but don't let anyone kid you, it is always stressful. 

• Chris Fulton, Dave Cox, Michael Novak and 4 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

^^^^^^^

If you ask me this is too much. Consistent, random tech on fewer people on less items at any given time. The biggest issue with this though, it means you would need to bring a pick to the track. I know some do, but not really what I want to bring. Id rather bring scale pads and wheel stands if I was going to pack something that I don't normally bring.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

J. Pressman

J. Pressman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Car Year:1999

So ~40k to build a competitive car, ~10k to qualify for the runoffs, ~6k to attend the runoffs, and ~6k to put the car back together after runoffs tech?     :help:

2007 ARRC Champion - SSM

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73

So ~40k to build a competitive car, ~10k to qualify for the runoffs, ~6k to attend the runoffs, and ~6k to put the car back together after runoffs tech? :help:

This will really shock you.....
your numbers are too low. Every post you make is negative towards the class. Might I ask why you are involved?
  • Jim Drago and -P- like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

So ~40k to build a competitive car, ~10k to qualify for the runoffs, ~6k to attend the runoffs, and ~6k to put the car back together after runoffs tech?     :help:

Yes, and apparently over 90 participants thought it was worth the cost. Compared to some other Runnoffs classes such as say, GT1, it's low budget racing. So not exactly sure what your point is.

CNJ
  • Danica Davison likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

J. Pressman

J. Pressman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

This will really shock you.....
your numbers are too low. Every post you make is negative towards the class. Might I ask why you are involved?

Chris, not sure how you came to the conclusion that all 12 of my posts on this site are negative...?  I raced SM/SSM for 5-6 years, got out to finish school, and ~7 years later find myself in a position to be building a car to get back into racing.  I'm throwing money at this sport just like everybody else.

Just sort of poking fun at "budget" amateur Motorsport in general.  It wasn't cheap the last time I was involved, but it's got way pricier in the time I spent away from the class.  

• Cnj likes this

2007 ARRC Champion - SSM

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

Just an observation from a tech person who was not involved in SM this year's Runoffs or even back to Road America. Sit back and think about how much of this you guys have brought upon yourselves. Add up all the post race DQ's you've had since the first Road America. And while all this was going on, you demanded the Club have better and more tech. Why now would you think it's time to lighten up?

And It was very obvious that Indy qualifying was going to be very important. Getting to turn one first and in the first group was most likely going to determine who would win. Thus, it was a must for tech to check the front cars.each day. If they had not, you'd be saying they dropped the ball. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but haven't all the major engine and car builders been caught with a finger in the cookie jar? Even if you haven't,  how does tech decide not to include you in the tech? I finished 4th on track in HP in 1990 and my engine lay scattered in the tech shed from 1 PM on Friday until 5 Pm on Sunday while the SOM decided the results. Stressful, you bet because that was Toni's engine and not mine and she was pissed because she had been sick all year and not able to race.

And let me assure you that if I started using a part that was different from others, I'd have a sample from Mazda saying it was ok. SCCA can't keep up with all the changes manufacturers make especially with 15 year old cars. Heck, consider yourselves lucky they even keep making parts. And as to comments about costs. Folks, there is not one single Runoffs winner who did not spend a lot of $$ for that little piece of medal and the right to kiss those bricks at Indy. If you think there was, then you need to switch classes.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

^^^ I dont think Jim D started this thread to complain...just info! And James has an opinion...which he's entitled to! No one here is fooling themselves on the cost of racing the best class in SCCA at the top! Budget is a relative term :)

• Jim Drago, Armando Ramirez, tylerbrown and 1 other like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

The word CLASS keeps coming up. Again spent some time with Chris Haldeman, this dude is CLASS. Don't EVER want to read of negative tech $hit about you.

• High Chair and Danica Davison like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

shocks
pull both left side shocks.  dyno them for compliance
inspect springs for correct numbers
pull bump stops and check compared to Fat cat kit

Damn, only the left side? It is a good thing I only cheated up the right side shocks to get out of T13 better!

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

^^^ I dont think Jim D started this thread to complain...just info! And James has an opinion...which he's entitled to! No one here is fooling themselves on the cost of racing the best class in SCCA at the top! Budget is a relative term :)

That is correct, not complaining at all. It was as I expected it would be.  Most have no clue what goes on, what is teched etc and people like to know.  That was the only reason for the post.

• Armando Ramirez and Jaysz28 like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

We went through just about the same last year. But 2 and three did not have to do as much. This year two and three got the same love. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

Just giving you guys a view from the outside. The only part of Jim's post I took with a whine factor was the valve. The rest was informative.

At Daytona, in production, I tore down the top three including measuring rod lengths and looking at transmission gears.  We were told at Indy we would not have room to do as many cars. So, SM is not the only class that gets more than top car reduced to a box of parts.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Chris, not sure how you came to the conclusion that all 12 of my posts on this site are negative...?  I raced SM/SSM for 5-6 years, got out to finish school, and ~7 years later find myself in a position to be building a car to get back into racing.  I'm throwing money at this sport just like everybody else.

Just sort of poking fun at "budget" amateur Motorsport in general.  It wasn't cheap the last time I was involved, but it's got way pricier in the time I spent away from the class.  

I could be wrong here but your signature says 2007 was SSM no???  I have never raced SSM myself but view it as a significantly cheaper option to actually racing SM at least to be competitive.

Not to mention inflation, that our govt. tends to tell us does not exist!

I got involved in 2010 and just my opinion here it is much more competitive in 2017 then it was in 2010, most everyone has top shelf equipment, data, and vid in 2017.  half the field was racing with a shift light and no data back in 2010, and about half had a camera...  Wow have things change as I look back at it.

K. Webb