CarbonRacer

Autotechnik's Red Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:56

Jim Drago you were almost involved in Valve Font Vortex Gate. Now we know how your engines make power just change the font on the valves. LOL  :hugegrin:   :rotfl:

Vortices are a major component of turbulent flow. The distribution of velocity, vorticity (the curl of the flow velocity), as well as the concept of circulation are used to characterize vortices. In most vortices, the fluid flow velocity is greatest next to its axis and decreases in inverse proportion to the distance from the axis.

• Danica Davison likes this

Danica Davison is my BIOTCH...Just Sayin

2017 - 6 Podiums

2016 - Florida Cup Champion

- 9 Podiums

2015 - 2 Podiums

2014 - 1 Podiums

2013 - 4 Podiums

2012 - 8 Podiums

2011 - 2 Podiums

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

https://www.google.c...sourceid=chrome

Gosh thanks for the help...

I get that you don't like the government but if you're going to lie about it I'm going to call you out on it.

J. Pressman

J. Pressman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Car Year:1999

I could be wrong here but your signature says 2007 was SSM no???  I have never raced SSM myself but view it as a significantly cheaper option to actually racing SM at least to be competitive.

Not to mention inflation, that our govt. tends to tell us does not exist!

I got involved in 2010 and just my opinion here it is much more competitive in 2017 then it was in 2010, most everyone has top shelf equipment, data, and vid in 2017.  half the field was racing with a shift light and no data back in 2010, and about half had a camera...  Wow have things change as I look back at it.

Cheaper to be competitive, yes.  But less competitive than an SM field absolutely not.

In the MARRS series SSM feilds were regularly larger and deeper than the SM fields.  Don't take that to mean the SM field was soft either.  More affordable, AND better racing!  I went where the best competition was; it was a bonus that the cars were more affordable and more "spec" to run!

FWIW, my engine came home from the 07' ARRC in pieces.  :)  

2007 ARRC Champion - SSM

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Cheaper to be competitive, yes.  But less competitive than an SM field absolutely not.

In the MARRS series SSM feilds were regularly larger and deeper than the SM fields.  Don't take that to mean the SM field was soft either.  More affordable, AND better racing!  I went where the best competition was; it was a bonus that the cars were more affordable and more "spec" to run!

FWIW, my engine came home from the 07' ARRC in pieces.  :)

MARRS SSM depth may be deeper the SM at a MARRS event depth but it doesn’t compare with a typical east of the Mississippi Majors SM field. I appreciate your passion for your chosen class but showing up throwing stones at SM doesn’t make you or your class better.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC

MARRS SSM depth may be deeper the SM at a MARRS event depth but it doesn’t compare with a typical east of the Mississippi Majors SM field. I appreciate your passion for your chosen class but showing up throwing stones at SM doesn’t make you or your class better.

They're just jealous Jon!

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

J. Pressman

J. Pressman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Nobody is throwing stones; You guys need to relax a little bit.  I've raced both SM and SSM over the years and I'm simply speaking to a prior experience to answer a question from Mr. Webb.  I'm also speaking to racing that occurred ~10 years ago!  Damn I'm getting old... 

I have no doubt that current "east of the Mississippi" Majors fields pulling from MARRS, SARRC, etc. are stout. 

2007 ARRC Champion - SSM

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I get that you don't like the government but if you're going to lie about it I'm going to call you out on it.

He grunts, spins a club around his head, drags women by their hair...and occasionally makes statements well beyond his caveman knowledge...but he will drink your best beer and thank you for it!
I said this before Jackson...good to have you back. You need to reclaim your old avatar!

Edit...And ironically after seeing Jims post....I thought , wait a minute, since when are we guilty until proving ourselves innocent?? You pointed this out very quick!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

.And ironically after seeing Jims post....I thought , wait a minute, since when are we guilty until proving ourselves innocent?? You pointed this out very quick!

In fairness.. We were never guilty. Tech just told us they wanted to research this a little further.  It was all handled well by tech and it gets easier every time. But never any fun :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

I love it when folks without MBAs and Masters Degrees in Economics debate economics, especially on a racing forum.  CPI is not an accurate measure of inflation.  To accurately measure inflation one must consider the PPI and the GDP deflator.  The PPI and GDP deflator have to be added to the equation, because the CPI doesn't measure many of the factors that have a very real inflationary impact on the average wallet, nor does it measure the anti inflationary impact of substitution.  Happy to take this discussion off line. 

Thanks Jim, for the info on Tech!

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

As much as I love Economics ... maybe it would be fun/better to set up a politics/non racing sub forum .. instead of on racing threads. It is entertaining on the RRAX forum.

But anyways, back to the tech process ...

• dstevens and av8tor like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

After talking with a few other people yesterday about tech ... the security in the tech shed was basically non-existent.  After helping Stearns fight off the Nufer protest, Soriano and I walked over to the shed, with beers in hand, and already a little buzzed.  I walked right in to see my boyz P$ and Selin and to see how things were going.  I got to the front of the garage and I said loudly "what's up you cheating MF's!?!" and walked right in next to the cars. Bauer gave me a weird look and just went back to what he was doing.  I then walked to Haldeman's car in a different garage that had even more tech officials around, and walked right up to Chris taking his motor apart.

Daytona was much more strict on who was getting in to the tech shed if I remember correctly... and there wasn't anything this year.

In all seriousness, it could have been fairly easy to go in and swap out a control arm ... just sayin.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

In all seriousness, it could have been fairly easy to go in and swap out a control arm ... just sayin.

:no:   In all seriousness, this act could get you expelled lifetime from the SCCA. There was an AS knucklehead from 2016 Mid Ohio Runoffs who received said gift for his nonsense on track. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

The tech process has become a lot less secure in the past few years. At Topeka, if you tried to get in without a pass, it was not happening it was like a prison.  At Road America very much the same. Even as a CRB member who is called often to look at things and known by the tech people, with no pass for that day, I was asked to leave.  I was chastised in 13 as other competitors who had passes but cars were outside popped up chairs in front of the cars being torn apart and I asked them to leave as 2012 was rough and I didn't want a game of telephone starting again. I could have handled it better, but no one moral of the story is no one was allowed in if not associated with the car being torn down and they needed a pass.    At Daytona, it was IMO the start of more laid back ( which I guess I like in some ways, but in some ways I don't) tech shed. Mid Ohio mush the same or even more laid back.  This year was very similar to Mid Ohio.  Not sure it needs to be prison like, but I do think the security needs to be a little better. 

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

I was chastised in 13 as other competitors who had passes but cars were outside popped up chairs in front of the cars being torn apart and I asked them to leave as 2012 was rough and I didn't want a game of telephone starting again. I could have handled it better, but no one moral of the story is no one was allowed in if not associated with the car being torn down and they needed a pass.    

I was one of those in the chairs at Road America LOL...

I get it makes a better story, but we were at least 15 yards away and it was poring rain and we were bored!  We all forgive you and understand the stress of impound!  

• Jim Drago likes this

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I was one of those in the chairs at Road America LOL...

I get it makes a better story, but we were at least 15 yards away and it was poring rain and we were bored!  We all forgive you and understand the stress of impound!  

lol :) I did apologize to most that I saw afterwards... Sometimes the NJ comes back out :) 

• Joe (dad) Jordan likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

Jim and all, we did try to enforce passes at Mid Ohio but that tent layout made it tough. At Indy, we had multiple cars in the same garage and again tried to draw an invisible line between cars. Personally, I hate those privacy screens. There's really nothing in a spec class you should be able to do that is a secret. We did require the passes be worn in sight this year vs just having one. At Daytona, I chased the same guy out 10 times before he managed to get a pass. Never could tell who he was with if anyone.

But, we get busy and people tend to wander in and out. Short of putting up ropes. etc, we do the best we can. Heck, 4th place was over in the main building at Indy and when we had out morning tech meeting, stuff was scattered all over the place. But, no one was there except tech staff. IMO, that was not well planned. I would have made room in the same area the other cars were being inspected and did his tear down there. That car being in a different location was not good. Very hard to secure.

We all made extra efforts this year to control picture taking in tech. But, with everyone using their cell phones, it's tough. May end up with no cell phones allowed in tech tear down area. Kind of like me taking pictures in the Sistine Chapel. With flash turned off, the guards couldn't stop it.

I will mention that when we have our debrief conference call.

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

This kind of stuff is discouraging to new comers. Disassemble the transmission and diff? Is there really sometime in history when a person had a transmission with a different gear set or coated gears? Give me a break.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

This kind of stuff is discouraging to new comers. Disassemble the transmission and diff? Is there really sometime in history when a person had a transmission with a different gear set or coated gears? Give me a break.

Haha...you are a newbie! And for what it is worth...you will never have invasive tech until you get to the biggest events and finish up front!

Dont be discouraged...just come out and play. When you start winning then just make sure your stuff is good! 

• dstevens, Jim Drago, mellen and 1 other like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Is there really sometime in history when a person had a transmission with a different gear set or coated gears? Give me a break.

Yes and in the Spec Miata class. Lightened gears and through the REM process. Yes gears may be smoothed/worn in by other process, but that's not the point.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

what Ron said. Dont be discouraged. But at the biggest event ever in SM. I think all in tech were ready and welcomed the process. This is far from the norm, it only happens at the biggest events and only the top 3 competitors typically. Yes people have remmed and or coated gears in the passed. Also different 5 th gears are out there, different RP ratios etc

Jim 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users