Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Saturday Race

After having burned off the tires playing catch up in Fridays race it was time to keep working on the set up.  We had two warm up sessions and took advantage of both of them by taking a step big swing on the set up in the first session and then making adjustments from there.  Goal was to run hard all session and see what kind of car i had on the last laps.  We found something in session one and went further in session two.  Sometimes you have to go to far to know when you have gone far enough and two big moments late in the session let us know we had gone too far.  We made the adjustments and went out for Saturdays race hopeful that we had the right set up.  

The start was faster than the day before but not full roll on like usual and this led to a stack up that may have caused the wreck.  We know how hard each spot is to gain once everyone is up to speed so starts can be critical for forward progress for some.  The wreck was well documented previously so i will only speak to my experience.  Right about the time the green flag flew Selin popped out behind Jim and the lane behind me hit me like a freight train.  If i ever wanted to know what nitrous would feel like in a mitata I am pretty sure that was close.  If Selin was still there one or both of us would have suffered the same fate as Todd.  As it was we had such momentum we were able to drive around Jim and me P1 and SelinP2 going into turn 1.  I was't looking in the mirror so I had no idea what happened behind us.  Selin saw the wreck and he did the right thing and stuffed it inside me at turn 2 and by turn 4 we were double yellow.  By 14 we were red flagged and parked.  I could only see one teammate, Trevor and was worried about Chris because he had to be charging hard and would have surely been caught up in a big wreck.  We finally got rolling and had about two laps to warm up the tires when we took the green.  Selin got a good start and gapped me a bit with Jim behind.  I was cautions through turns 2-5 and made Jim push me to 7.  Out of 7 i again positioned myself to have a push from the Drago train.  Funny thing all my positioning and all of Jims pushing was not helping us catch Selin.  We were falling back and at some point Jim had to go and drove around me.  When he did my heart sunk because he clearly had big motor on me and I was a sitting duck.  We had a gap back to P4 which at some point was Preston so I just put my head down and drove the car clean as I could.  Preston caught me a few laps later and was able to drive by from 17 to 1 but had a moment in three that caused us both to go off roading.   We gathered it up by 7 and I promptly got dumped.  That was two cars from Drago's team that had just drove off from me.  At this point i knew i was down 8 to Jim and 5 to Preston and as the moment I was just mentally trashed.  How could I win if those guys cars were that good.  My car was perfect handling and felt fine so I had no answer and was convinced I was getting "Dragoed" .  Everyone who has ever raced with Jim has had those moments, his car is always great.  He knows it, you know it and the whole field knows it.  What starts as a small thought in the back of your head becomes frustration and fury at some point.  I rolled around to the finish in P4 and got out and told Chris, I am F'ed.  Told him what i thought about Jim and Preston's cars and sat in impound just beyond frustrated.  I had not driven around either of them all weekend at that point and was sure I had seen all the cars but theirs and was confident we were all within 2-3, not down 8 and 5 to the ESR crew.  

2 hours go by and after we get out of impound we have an appointment at 5 to see the dyno, as i am driving back to the paddock I noticed the voltage was reading high 11s.  WTF, now I know why I sucked.  Alternator swap and trip to the dyno showed we found the problem and were back to reasonable power.  

There was hope, it was almost like the end of the Star Wars Episode 7, I had found the last Luke Skywalker, (handling and power) and was ready to take on the Sith Lord himself.  

BTW Jim, sorry about the evil thoughts I was having in impound.   :devil:

• Jim Drago, trimless, Danica Davison and 2 others like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

How could I win if those guys cars were that good.  My car was perfect handling and felt fine so I had no answer and was convinced I was getting "Dragoed" .  Everyone who has ever raced with Jim has had those moments, his car is always great.  He knows it, you know it and the whole field knows it.  What starts as a small thought in the back of your head becomes frustration and fury at some point.  I rolled around to the finish in P4 and got out and told Chris, I am F'ed.  Told him what i thought about Jim and Preston's cars and sat in impound just beyond frustrated.  I had not driven around either of them all weekend at that point and was sure I had seen all the cars but theirs and was confident we were all within 2-3, not down 8 and 5 to the ESR crew.  

you too can get Dragoed  :)

http://mazdaracers.c...ip-winning-car/

• Danica Davison and lillyweld like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

you too can get Dragoed  :)

http://mazdaracers.c...ip-winning-car/

https://www.scca.com...on_item_1971444

http://timingscoring... Spec MIata.pdf

That cars recent history doesn't look so good. 

Average finishing position in the two National Champ races 20th. 

I think I will stay with X-Factor built excellence.  As Blake will tell you, if Ross can win, the car must be a rocket ship. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

https://www.scca.com...on_item_1971444

http://timingscoring... Spec MIata.pdf

That cars recent history doesn't look so good. 

Average finishing position in the two National Champ races 20th. 

I think I will stay with X-Factor built excellence.  As Blake will tell you, if Ross can win, the car must be a rocket ship. 

I'm going to take the Chase Elliot approach.. If you don't have anything nice to say.. keep quiet :)

• Bench Racer and MPR22 like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I like where this is going :D

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

I'm going to take the Chase Elliot approach.. If you don't have anything nice to say.. keep quiet :)

Jim, you know you are now on my nice list.  Thanks for the help at the NASA champs. 

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

I could tell you my version of things but you can watch for yourself above if you missed it. 

• Xav likes this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

That is the opposite of the Danica Davison approach

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

sentercut

sentercut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:55

Finally got to watch the video. Awesome racing, incredible interviews. Congrats again to you Mr Ross what an epic accomplishment. 

Senter Smith

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Finally got to watch the video. Awesome racing, incredible interviews. Congrats again to you Mr Ross what an epic accomplishment.

Thanks Senter, can’t wait to get back at it.

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
I know I said it before but Congrats Ross, to win at Sebring with all the great history is really cool, great win! Selin, what a great last couple of years, and 2 Very strong showings in both championship races! I hate the bad luck and circumstances for 2 of the classes better competitors, Drago and Danny at the Runoffs and NASA championships, but it happens to all of us.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
Below is my video from starting P24 and finishing P6. Worked with Haldeman a lot as we worked our way up the field, as well as working with Henderson some too in the early laps. Thanks to the great P$ for the awesome video edit !! Besides a few big mistakes later in the race when the tires started to go away on me, I had a LOT of fun. I definitely didn’t have an aggressive start at the green flag given the fact that I was caught up in the wreck on the last start, but then started to pick some people off after the nerves wore off. The first lap was a little crazy in T10 too with Yan Dia getting spun front of a big pack but it helped me pick off a few cars in just one corner so that was nice. Even though it sucked to wreck on Saturday, it made for a very fun race starting in the back and passing the most cars! Thanks again to Preston for the sweet edit and I hope y’all enjoy!

• Preston Pardus, bbursey, lillyweld and 1 other like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Nice drive John

• Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Great drive from way back!
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mike Tesch

Mike Tesch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee

Nice video and great drive.  

Next time remember to put your visor down or wear some glasses.  Wouldn't want to hurt those pretty eyes!   :nerd: 

"Common sense... it's not rocket science."

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Nice video and great drive.  

Next time remember to put your visor down or wear some glasses.  Wouldn't want to hurt those pretty eyes!   :nerd:

Thank you for saying I have pretty eyes! However, I absolutely HATE having the visor down, but I haven't tried sunglasses. I miss more turn ins than I already do when I have the visor down. I feel too enclosed with it down I think

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Great JOB, thanks for the ride. YES, figure out something with the visor. Have you tried clear or maybe yellow. Yellow works well for downhill skiing, view the snow humps and stuff much better.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Great JOB, thanks for the ride. YES, figure out something with the visor. Have you tried clear or maybe yellow. Yellow works well for downhill skiing, view the snow humps and stuff much better.

Thank you! But it isn't the color visor that bothers me ... it is just having the visor down that bothers me. I will miss turn ins, brake inconsistently, etc and im not sure why

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Thank you for saying I have pretty eyes! However, I absolutely HATE having the visor down, but I haven't tried sunglasses. I miss more turn ins than I already do when I have the visor down. I feel too enclosed with it down I think

I never run with visor down either :(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Kevin B

Kevin B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:37

I was in the same camp - I typically would only drop it at starts.   In the 13-hour a few years ago I tucked in behind another SM and for some reason thought to lower it.   So fortunate to have done so - tire slag from the car ahead kicked up and hit the back of the spot mirror my brother uses on his driver's side and the shattered glass came straight into the closed visor.   I still count my blessings and thank whatever voice told me to drop it a minute prior...   It was a freak thing but...    Please do it - you'll get used to the visor down eventually.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NASA, Sebring

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users