• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

The way this website handles images is really frustrating so it's hard to read. The car made 115hp/99tq max. The AFR looks decent to me at ~13 and down to 12.5 before rev limiter.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Yeah, my first thought was “you suck at taking pictures “. But my second thought is that only Dave can tell you how it stacks up against other 1.6s on his dyno in it’s current configuration/version.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
120+ On Dave’s dyno is where you need to be. I can’t imagine trying to race a car 5-8hp down in this class
  • Danica Davison likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
Every dyno is different. The same car traveling around to all the SM shops will produce different numbers. Most everyone’s dynos are repeatable to them selves. But trying to compare numbers from one to another dyno is pointless. The best way to communicate power is +/- off the best seen off THAT dyno. Example is: that car was -2 off the best 1.6 I have seen on this dyno. Or your 1.6 is +1 to the best 99 we have seen.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Edited my post for you
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

I was told HP wasn't that bad, but torque numbers are low. I didn't have time to speak with Advanced in person. I'm sure the engine is tired. It probably has 7 or 8 years of racing on it. Previous owner said it was a "Sunbelt" motor, but they don't even seem to be in business anymore.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Sunbelt. If it’s any consolation, it probably isn’t even close to “legal” anyway. Depending on exactly when it was built it may have incorrect cams, valve springs and even pistons. If the pistons are wrong then the block may be too short (we do have a minimum block height, right, or is that just the head?) Anyway, the pistons had a higher pin location so they could deck blocks enough to square everything up without the piston smacking the head. For awhile they were even plugging the piston oiling jets to reduce windage, which proved to be a really bad idea. And they were mucking around in the heads, especially behind the valves. If it’s old enough, like 2006, you could find all of that and more, making even the option of just refreshing or replacing the head risky.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I can’t imagine trying to race a car 5-8hp down in this class

What you talkin bout, Wilis?! We have all been racing 5-8hp down from Drago for years! :D

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

http://mazdaracers.c...ead-2034/page-3

Page #3, post #51

File color car year

Blue 2002
purple 1999
red 1990

I get it, we don't race dyno files, comparison purpose from 2013.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Sunbelt. If it’s any consolation, it probably isn’t even close to “legal” anyway. Depending on exactly when it was built it may have incorrect cams, valve springs and even pistons. If the pistons are wrong then the block may be too short (we do have a minimum block height, right, or is that just the head?) Anyway, the pistons had a higher pin location so they could deck blocks enough to square everything up without the piston smacking the head. For awhile they were even plugging the piston oiling jets to reduce windage, which proved to be a really bad idea. And they were mucking around in the heads, especially behind the valves. If it’s old enough, like 2006, you could find all of that and more, making even the option of just refreshing or replacing the head risky.

I think this engine was probably suspect in the past because the previous owner gave me an SCCA cam measurement sheet. The cams from this engine were checked by the SCCA and confirmed legal.

I will have to decide if it's worth 6k for a new motor. The car is solid and Dave said it's very square. It scaled out really nice. Thanks for the inputs.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Have you done a leak-down to determine what if anything is leaking? Have you checked compression with a Whistler? If a leak-down doesn’t give any indication of badly worn rings but does indicate issues with valves, I would check it very carefully with a Whistler and record the numbers. Then I would pull the head and carefully inspect the bores and piston tops. If there is still no reason to be concerned about the bottom end then consider doing just the head, that’s where nearly all the gains are.

Check the head for any compliance issues that can’t be remedied. If it looks good send it to one of the known SM builders/suppliers for confirmation and evaluation in terms of a refresh. If it’s a particularly crappy casting or has other issues you might be better off buying one outright rather than reworking that one, the difference probably isn’t all that much.

Back to the Whistler, with those numbers you know whether you can afford to shave some off the head without going over on compression. You also know how much difference there is from cylinder to cylinder. (If you have high leak-down from the head that can distort even the Whistler reading) A crappy casting can have significantly different size combustion chambers, which you’ll see in the Whistler readings. Likewise, if some valves are sunk deeper than others or some seats were replaced (raising the valve) that chamber might be larger or smaller than others. If anything suggests such differences then it’s best to CC all four, again to judge the value of a refresh vs. replace.

A good shop can do all this for you but it is time consuming and in the end might run up the cost of a refresh to equal a replacement. If you can do a lot of it yourself and have the time, then you might even get away with nothing more than a careful valve job and light shave at a local machine shop. No way to know without some initial work though, and of course there is always the chance that the bottom end will decide to take a crap soon after you deal with the head. How’s the oil pressure?

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

http://mazdaracers.c...ead-2034/page-3

Page #3, post #51

File color car year

Blue 2002
purple 1999
red 1990

I get it, we don't race dyno files, comparison purpose from 2013.

How do you see the graphs. The link is broken for me.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I was told HP wasn't that bad, but torque numbers are low....

For those confused by this given that HP is simply calculated from torque and RPM and therefore they are both “high” or “low” together at any given point of the chart, the above statement should suggest that mid-range power (at or around peak torque RPM) is suffering more than it is at peak HP RPM. That in turn must be evident in the *shape* of the power curve if laid over the curve of a healthy engine.
  • luvin_the_rings likes this

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

For those confused by this given that HP is simply calculated from torque and RPM and therefore they are both “high” or “low” together at any given point of the chart, the above statement should suggest that mid-range power (at or around peak torque RPM) is suffering more than it is at peak HP RPM. That in turn must be evident in the *shape* of the power curve if laid over the curve of a healthy engine.

Dave sent me a nice comparison. A quick evaluation shows my engine is down on both torque and power across the entire graph. Minimum is a about 4%, max is about 8%. Basically if you looked at a new 1.6L graph, shift it down ~6% and it's my graph lol.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

How do you see the graphs. The link is broken for me.

When I click on the link posted the dyno graph shows perfect as it should. Try another process to get to the post. click on "Spec Miata" heading, scroll to page 21, scroll down until you view "parity thread #2034." Open page #3, post #51. The point of this post is you'll view 3 different first class engines from Drago all tested on his dyno.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Remember those are 2013 numbers. Lots of things have changed since then. Plates, 1.6 headers etc. Good comparison, but not 100% accurate

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Remember those are 2013 numbers. Lots of things have changed since then. Plates, 1.6 headers etc. Good comparison, but not 100% accurate

It was noted the numbers were 2013 and until someone in the know (dyno owner) posts 2018 comparison data, the 2013 overlay dyno graphs are all we have. Overlay not even required, post graphs for same cars as Drago did and it'll be called, thank you. 

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

1.6 headers?

Everyone optimized their 1.6 headers long before it was legal. :devil: 

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

1.6 headers?

Everyone optimized their 1.6 headers long before it was legal. :devil:

Wrong, we certainly did not.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Wrong, we certainly did not.

Well, then you were in a very small minority.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users