Photo

Thunderhill April 16-17 - with petite enduro!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Johnny,

I realized only after I submitted the previous message that you could split the enduro driving (there's a driver change anyway!) with your teammate any way you want, right? So you could very easily equalize the driving for the weekend by pitting at the right time to give you both some track time during the enduro. Plus, sharing the car is half the fun of the enduro format! This of course assumes you don't need to make time consuming seat adjustments to accommodate the second driver...

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Lunch?? What's that?

Seriously - there are always a few events a year where the schedule doesn't allow for a lunch break, so they some how accommodate the workers so that they can stay out there all day. There's no lunch break in this schedule. We have too many race groups (both the Formula Mazda Challenge and the Porsche Racing Club will be there, too).

The downside is that there's no drive around time to take family/friends out for a tour of the track :(

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Johnny,

I realized only after I submitted the previous message that you could split the enduro driving (there's a driver change anyway!) with your teammate any way you want, right? So you could very easily equalize the driving for the weekend by pitting at the right time to give you both some track time during the enduro. Plus, sharing the car is half the fun of the enduro format! This of course assumes you don't need to make time consuming seat adjustments to accommodate the second driver...

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Dean

It's just me. I was looking forward to the hour with a pit in there someplace.

Unless it really looks like Jeff is going to break down crying because he missed this. :D
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
Signed up for SM and PTE. :)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Jeff Lyon

Jeff Lyon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:NorCal/SFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:19
Dean,

no worries, he is only renting on Saturday. I will miss a lap or two of qualy but besides that I am good! Looking forward to it!

Have you figured out what is going to constitute a completed pitstop for those of us not making an actual driver change?

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Here are the 1 Hour Petite Enduro supplemental rules:

1. The HOT pit lane will remain clear at all times, except as indicated below.

2. There is a 25 mph speed limit in the pit lane.

3. No fuel allowed in pit lane.

4. No one under 18 in the pit lane without prior written approval from Jerry Kunzman.

5. Each driver will be required to make one stop to "change drivers." Teammates may change or keep the same driver. Single entry drivers will drive both stints. During the driver-change stop, the driver must exit the car and place a NASA-supplied decal on the outside of the windshield, on the top corner of the passenger side. After placing the decal the driver may get back in the car and take the track. Or, the driver, if part of a team, may go over the pit wall to the COLD pits and the teammate may take over driving duties.

6. Additional pit stops may be made for repairs, or any other reason, but it must be done in the paddock. No one over the pit wall during the race, for any reason, except the driver OR driver's teammate (not both at the same time). Note- "drivers helpers" or co-drivers will be allowed to help get the driver buckled in for safety reasons. We will have volunteers to help those with no friends.

7. The required stop must take place between the green and checkered flags.

8. Cars do not have to be running during the checkered lap to be scored. This will be scored like any other race.

9. Weight for compliance checking will be the class-listed weight, less 35 lbs. All drivers/ teams should adjust accordingly.

10. Any driver found to have left the pits without all the proper safety equipment in place will be suspended from NASA for no less than one year.

11. These supplemental rules only apply to the 1-hour race on April 17th, 2011.

12. Additional rules may apply that are presented at the driver's meeting.

13. The pits will be "closed" during full course yellows. Once the last turn station, before the pit entrance, displays the double yellow flags (or by any other defined indication), the pit lane will then be "closed." If a car enters the pit lane during a full course yellow situation, the driver has three options:

A. Proceed to the paddock and work may be performed (unless prohibited by an official, due to the course condition changing to "Red Flag").

B. Park in the team's pit space and do nothing until the end of the full course yellow. The driver may not exit the car (unless due to an emergency or instructed to do so by an official) and the team shall not work on the car.

C. Continue through the pit lane and rejoin the field at the end of the pack.

14. The driver must take the green flag on course before the mandatory pit stop / driver change will fulfill the requirement.

Former driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Awesome. I like how you guys will help out if we have no friends.... :lol:
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
We've got 23 spec miata's signed up at this point for the weekend and there are 23 spec e30's, too. The petite enduro will be busy with cars the whole hour! Should be a blast.

I'm trying to organize a small crew of folks to help single-driver cars with the driver change, too.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I'm trying to organize a small crew of folks to help single-driver cars with the driver change, too.

Cheers,

Dean

That's good, I'm not married. :D

I believe the verbage should say “drivers without crew”.
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
Team ArtOfRoadRacing.com is registered! Glen will be driving this weekend. I'll be getting there Friday night. Anyone else camping?

BTW, is the entry list posted somewhere? I couldn't find it.

-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean Allen

Sean Allen

My title is unique

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Region:SFR
I can lend a hand in the pit lane if anyone needs it. I'll be there Sunday with Charlie.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Awesome weekend. See everyone in May. B)

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
You call that a race report? More info. please!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Very cool weekend. Inverted the top 10 on Sat. I qual 10th :D
1st pole start for me, finished 6th.
Inverted the whole field for each class for the 1 hr enduro. 1st couple laps were really fun. I had problems after a few laps but still had a blast.

Great meeting everyone and thanks for the help.
Good times.
J~

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Top 3?? 5?? Hope you had a more competent person start your video this time JD :o

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
I don't remember, Vodden, Evens, Kiwi???

Turns out my daughter took out the memory stick this time, maybe last weekend, found out Sat night.

Had people spinning on the left and right coming out of 11 (last lap I think) Days of Thunder. Would of been good.

Watched some video Sat night, hope everyone posts.

Dr Dan had a frustrating weekend, had one good practice session on Sunday I recall. Knock off 4 sec. but tires rubbed the fenders.
J~

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Well I posted up before I went to dinner with my grand parents.

Saturday I qualified 8th, but they inverted to top 10 putting me in 3rd for the race. My start wasn't all that great and I think I lost 5 positions by turn 6. Went side by side with Bruce P in turn 8 on lap one and he hit the curb on entry sending him in a drift off track and damaging front suspension. That combined with a e30 off in 2 called for a FCY. There were a few more incidents later in the race where I gained positions from cars having contact or going off so I ended up in 4th for my first top 5 finish. :D

I cant remember but I believe it went:

vodden or hartzel for 1/2
aaron braveman for 3rd
me for 4th
and I cannot recall who had 5th

Sunday was the enduro and they inverted the whole field so Bruce was on pole and I was 26th or something in the second to last row I believe. I had an ok start and I think I drove through 3 rows on the straight. My strategy was similar to everyone else's, which was to pit on the first lap. I just wanted to get it over with so I can just run my laps. Im guessing the furthest I made it up was 8th or 9th but I had a big off on the last lap in turn one making me loose a few spots for a final of 13th. I thought the enduro was awesome and I would do it again anytime. Next time it would be cool to see 1.5 or 2 hours. ;)

All in all great weekend, I feel like learned a lot about procedures and how to handle problems. I thank everyone who talks to me before or after the runs and gives me advice.

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Charlie,

You got a full "first season" worth of experience in one weekend! :)

It was fantastic to see so many SM's out there this weekend mixing it up. There was really good racing throughout the field. I'll have several videos to post from Laura (including a rear-facing camera for the entire enduro) and Aaron Braverman, too.

Bruce and Connor both had some damage this weekend, but nothing really severe and everyone walked away friends. Good stuff.

I hope everyone liked the Petite Enduro format. I didn't see any problems - all the pit stops seemed to go pretty smoothly, and there was some real competition in that race. In the future, we'll have to look into some sort of live timing/scoring or at least announcing the positions every 5-10 minutes so drivers and crew know the running order.

I hope everyone had a good time. We're definitely going to keep experimenting with longer races and more interesting race formats.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Here's the video.

Laura's Saturday race: http://www.vimeo.com/22559842

Aaron's Saturday race: http://www.vimeo.com/22560700

Rear facing enduro cam footage coming later...

Former driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

My video from Saturday. I need to trim the enduro down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users