wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Don't you all go modifying your controls arms just yet.

tferranti

tferranti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51

LOL!  So someone cheats and now we all have to do it?  I am glad we are all smarter than the Mazda engineers who created these control arms!

• Jim Drago, mhiggins10, tylerbrown and 1 other like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

"2. #21854 (John Bauer) Shock Spec Data Review Add to 9.1.7.C.3.a.1.: 1. Shocks (including internals) must be as delivered by Bilstein/Mazda. No modifications to the compression and/or rebound forces are allowed." 

So the above is copied from the list of recommended 2018 changes...as was the letter by Jim(I'm confused Jim...someone else wrote the request and your letter to oppose was attributed to it?)

With regard to what Bauer has written...for years there have been people who offer "rebuilt shocks". Having zero knoweledge as to what is done during this process...is he saying these aftermarket vendors can only use verified "Bilstein" parts and oil or is he saying only Bilstein can rebuild? As I understand "No modifications to the compression and/or rebound forces are allowed", has always been the case so what is changing here? Either a shock passes the established Dyno curve or it doesn't correct? If internals are different but it passes the dyno...how would one know what is inside is different? 

Should in fact we be receiving some form of "sealed" shocks that can be easily checked if they have been opened up?

I still feel this is a very difficult area to police......If they test, to whose specs to test to? Bilstein has said the production QC is so loose, the published numbers are as close as they can get. And 2., If a sealed spec shock, what is to stop someone from buying 30 sets to dyno and cherry pick the best ones? That will cost way more than what some outfits are charging for freshening. Spec classes do not always mean cheaper racing, the ones with deep pockets or are more clever will always run up front.   

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990

But, I just put a Metric Sh*t ton of bondo on the right rear qtr after my most recent wreck. just in case. There may be some aero differences now though as I have a wide body kit on just the right rear but it should fix my weight issue.

Kids, ask your mature people what body filler was used previous to bondo. :bigsquaregrin: 

Use said material and your right rear might come up heavy. :rotfl:

• Muda and Danica Davison like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Car Year:1990

slippery-slope_zpsler4yduy.png

U made my day. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

It depends if one of my people are in the SMAC!

Did you want to be one ??   Anyone ?  Buler ?

SM
1. #23054 (Spec Miata Committee) Request for Committee Resumes
The Spec Miata Advisory Committee is seeking new members. Please submit your resume through crbscca.com.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

SM
1. #22393 (Ralph Provitz) Revise the Contact Rules and Implement Training
Thank you for your letter. The CRB is looking at this issue for all classes.

FYI, I think NASA's going mandatory camera's next year. So there's no he said, she said. There's mostly just the video and let the chips fall where they may.

J~

• Danica Davison likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Did you want to be one ??   Anyone ?  Buler ?

SM
The Spec Miata Advisory Committee is seeking new members. Please submit your resume through crbscca.com.

I would, but nobody would take me serious! :( I don't know why!

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I would, but nobody would take me serious! :( I don't know why!

Are you suggesting that we should take you serious? Because you can't be serious!

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

The letters were mostly very biased. Those that can get the camber numbers they want did not want a change. Those that could not get the numbers they wanted wanted the change. So surprising, Who would have thought. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Are you suggesting that we should take you serious? Because you can't be serious!

Are you saying that I am not fit for the job?

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
We're there actually any letters sent for slotting?
  • William Keeling and Muda like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

SM
1. #22393 (Ralph Provitz) Revise the Contact Rules and Implement Training
Thank you for your letter. The CRB is looking at this issue for all classes.

FYI, I think NASA's going mandatory camera's next year. So there's no he said, she said. There's mostly just the video and let the chips fall where they may.

J~

Video doesn't help when viewed through rose colored visors.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Someone please explain why it's okay to slot control arms but not remove the blower motor. Besides the bulshit reasons tell their kids because I said so.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

J. Pressman

J. Pressman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

The letters were mostly very bias. Those that can get the camber numbers they want did not want a change. Those that could not get the numbers they wanted wanted the change. So surprising, Who would have thought. 

That's human nature for you!  The fact that folks appear to be asking for slotting of an OE part rather than, say, bushings like what was done up front is the surprising part to me.  The only reason the slotting was done on Steyn's car in the first place was in hopes that it wouldn't be caught.  If we are looking to change a rule for the same end result as what those slots did, I would prefere the rule be written to use the correct part(s) instead of modifying an OE part.

That said, I'm not sure if I support the change at all or not....still building my car and have not checked alignment yet ;)

• Armando Ramirez likes this

2007 ARRC Champion - SSM

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Someone please explain why it's okay to slot control arms but not remove the blower motor. Besides the bulshit reasons tell their kids because I said so.

I'm with you but will take a crack at answering.  The fan to run windshield defrosters comes in handy in northern climates some days to help de-fog the inside of the windshield.  Safety-wise it's a plus.  I've used it many times over the years. 

• mellen likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Are you saying that I am not fit for the job?

if we are being serious.. I will say it :)  IMO, you need to have a very good understanding of the car to be on the SMAC. That doesn't explain why some others were on, but I didn't appoint any of those guys  :)  All currently on the SMAC have a good knowledge of the cars. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67

Did you want to be one ?? Anyone ? Buler ?

SM

Does it pay enough to quit my day job?

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Does it pay enough to quit my day job?

No you need your day job. We got a 400% raise this year to be on the SMAC. $0 x 400% = $0
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Mike Tesch

Mike Tesch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Kinda blows me away how fast this change was made. Making a weight change takes an act of god with reams of anecdotal information (from the right people). It seems you have to be the right person running unapproved gear to get a rule change.

Danny, can you please run an aftermarket wiring harness so we can get that change in the rules please? Would it be too much to ask that you also run an ECU, removed blower motor and air controls?

This made me chuckle... brought back a memory several years back at the June Sprints.  True story.

I was paddocked down by turn 5 with my brother.  During qualifying, an unnamed driver came into his pit area, where a crew member quickly changed out his ECU.  Why, I don't know.  The funny part was, that the driver never shut the car off during the swap.  

Now that is a fast ECU swap!   :scratchchin: 

• Jim Drago and Tom Sager like this

"Common sense... it's not rocket science."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users