Photo

NASA Announces the Creation of the Toyo Tires Classic Offering the Largest Payout in the History of Amateur Road Racing

* * * - - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
https://www.nasapror...eur_road_racing
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

You know the tire business is good when they can throw that kind of dough into the purse.

• Alberto likes this

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

You know the tire business is good when they can throw that kind of dough into the purse.

Gets eyeballs on amateur racing in general and will surely draw a large field for the race.  Well Done NASA and Toyo!!!

Personally, I'm rethinking my retirement....  Might have to run the season and this event. 

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

Damn...

http://jenkinsracing.com

Spencer Rutherford

Spencer Rutherford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Region:CKR
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:#04
So what do you guys think I should spend my 80k on?😂
Spencer Rutherford
Eaststreet Racing
overconfidence award - Given to those who think they are better than the sum of their results We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

So what do you guys think I should spend my 80k on?

after taxes thats about 45K maybe a new car :)

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:97

So what do you guys think I should spend my 80k on?

A driving coach...

• William Keeling, Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67

So what do you guys think I should spend my 80k on?😂

Either mirrors or a car that finishes races.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

It would be smart to keep all of your receipts of expenses for this 2018 racing year, in the chance that you win the $$. Put simply (with some details missing): most of you will be able to deduct hobby losses against up to your hobby gains. :)

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

It would be smart to keep all of your receipts of expenses for this 2018 racing year, in the chance that you win the $$. Put simply (with some details missing): most of you will be able to deduct hobby losses against up to your hobby gains.  :)good idea, but you are safe :)

good idea, but you are safe :)

First any way you slice this, thanks to Toyo as this will shine a spotlight on Sm which is great. I really enjoyed the NASA Champs this year,  but with this type contingency.. They need some independent and full time tech staff. Take $3500-5000 out of the contingency or whatever it takes to get an independent and fully qualified tech staff together for the weekend. This is not a shot at Xavier,  He did an excellent job. But with real money on the table, the tech should be completely independent and not a volunteer who is also racing etc.  Just my 2 cents.

Also, curious to read the fine print.. it says up to 80,000? Does that mean you need to win pole, both qualifying races and set fast lap etc? Or just win?

• Ron Alan, Jason J Ball, Danica Davison and 2 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

I most likely will not race anyway Jim, but will probably attend. Agree on the tech part. Also no shot at Xavier. But,  I think it would be in everyone's best interest to have an independent tech crew with that kind of money on the line, and maybe use Xavier as a knowledgeable resource to said crew, given his expertise?  Definitely could be worth a discussion.

• Jim Drago and Xav like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Also, maybe my only other "criticism" would be ... I would rather see the $80k spread out a little over the top 5 or top 10.  I am wondering if that will encourage more guys that have a real shot at the win, to not race dirty for the $80k.  I am not sure I would want to be leading a front pack of cars going into the last lap with $80k on the line. 

Say you had

P1: $50k

P2: $10k

P3: $8k

P4: $6k

P5: $3k

P6-8: $1k

Would that deter people in the Top 5 for racing dirty? Or would y'all say it wouldn't change a thing?

I am sure they wont change anything. Thoughts?

• Xav likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Also, maybe my only other "criticism" would be ... I would rather see the $80k spread out a little over the top 5 or top 10.  I am wondering if that will encourage more guys that have a real shot at the win, to not race dirty for the $80k.  I am not sure I would want to be leading a front pack of cars going into the last lap with $80k on the line. 

Say you had

P1: $50k

P2: $10k

P3: $8k

P4: $6k

P5: $3k

P6-8: $1k

Would that deter people in the Top 5 for racing dirty? Or would y'all say it wouldn't change a thing?

I am sure they wont change anything. Thoughts?

They said they will be making further announcements soon. I'm sure they will clear that up. I would expect bigger prizes for p2 and 3 with a 10k hard charger, but who knows. 

I can't see myself racing any different than if it was for no money. I don't race for the money.. Or I would have quit by now.  ;)  I have said and will continue to say what most won't. The last lap and especially the last few corners of the runoffs or any of the bigger races.. I have no issue with someone leaning on me as I would do an have done the same. All I expect and try to give is to limit any contact  that would put either off track, but if we are banging doors the last few corners, so be it whether I win or lose.  Besides, if you put someone off or break the rules, you will lose it post race. No one wants that.

Jim

• Duane Polsley and Lee Thomas like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

My plan for this big race is to go out and drive slow in qualifying. Then drive my ass of for the hard charger award. What do you think? :) 

• Jason J Ball, Jim Drago and Steve Scheifler like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

My plan for this big race is to go out and drive slow in qualifying. Then drive my ass of for the hard charger award. What do you think? :)

But what if you get out-slowed and out-assoffed by someone else? 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

I already thought of this. I got the slow part down. It's the 2nd part that's going to be a problem.

• Xav likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Wrong approach. Qualifying is irrelevant. Do what I did this year:  just wreck in one (or both) of the races ... tape and hammer your shit back together ... start in the back :)

• Jim Drago, Xav, lillyweld and 1 other like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

OR EVEN BETTER:  Just go out for practice and qualifying sessions on old tires to get used to track, then, park the car until the Championship race. You will automatically start dead last because you have two DNS for the qualifying races. Saves $$ on tires, body work, fuel, etc ... and then just collect the cash $$ :D

Looks like I have this figured out and I will be going to the race after all

• Jason J Ball, Jim Drago, -P- and 1 other like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Brian Tone

Brian Tone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Car Number:55

It would be nice to see the purse all the way to the top 20 considering the amount that has been mentioned.

Preston Pardus

Preston Pardus

The Man. The Myth. The Legend.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Car Number:42

I can see the headlines now...

"Davison scores jackpot win at the Toyo Tires Classic in TX, 80k Richer."

Might as well edit the Spec Miata wiki page now to list him the winner.

• Danica Davison likes this
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users