Photo

NASA Announces the Creation of the Toyo Tires Classic Offering the Largest Payout in the History of Amateur Road Racing

* * * - - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

I can see the headlines now...

"Davison scores jackpot win at the Toyo Tires Classic in TX, 80k Richer."

Psshhh. Aint no way anybody beating Haldeman there.  I sure as hell have no shot at it. I just was the $10k hard charger award from starting DFL

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Psshhh. Aint no way anybody beating Haldeman there.  I sure as hell have no shot at it. I just was the $10k hard charger award from starting DFL

You start DFL. They invert the field. Everyone crashes behind you in turn one. Easy Peasy. There's always away. :)

Maybe they'll run it backwards.

J~

• Xav likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

That was my plan Danica!

• Danica Davison likes this
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

OR EVEN BETTER:  Just go out for practice and qualifying sessions on old tires to get used to track, then, park the car until the Championship race. You will automatically start dead last because you have two DNS for the qualifying races. Saves $$ on tires, body work, fuel, etc ... and then just collect the cash $$ :D

Looks like I have this figured out and I will be going to the race after all

This is better than your first idea of wrecking the car :)

• Danica Davison likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

That was my plan Danica!

May the best Larry win :P

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

I can see the headlines now...

"Davison almost scores jackpot win at the Toyo Tires Classic in TX but instead sends it on the last lap making Happy Jack 10K Poorer."

Might as well edit the Spec Miata wiki page now to list him the winner.

I fixed it for you..

• Jim Drago, JRagaglia and Danica Davison like this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I have heard some good things about the NASA champs, they are supposed to make some announcements..
If some of the rumors are true, which I hope they are.. Anyone wanting to race for the contingency will be required to start on new, marked stickers. that will take a lot of tire testing out of the equation and makes it fair for all. I was planning on shaving as close to zero as possible.. So this is great news if accurate
  • Todd Lamb, tburas56 and Danica Davison like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

I have heard some good things about the NASA champs, they are supposed to make some announcements..
If some of the rumors are true, which I hope they are.. Anyone wanting to race for the contingency will be required to start on new, marked stickers. that will take a lot of tire testing out of the equation and makes it fair for all. I was planning on shaving as close to zero as possible.. So this is great news if accurate

(My odds at the big money are extremely remote)

Might it be even better if the event supps did not allow tire shaving???  (Shaved, not shaved, square, round, etc., etc., won't really change things among the top dogs, but maybe one less thing to "worry" about).

• Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this

Toby Linder

powered by X-Factor Racing

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

(My odds at the big money are extremely remote)
Might it be even better if the event supps did not allow tire shaving???  (Shaved, not shaved, square, round, etc., etc., won't really change things among the top dogs, but maybe one less thing to "worry" about).

While I agree, you know this crowd :) Saying it in the supps is all but meaningless.. People will shave and run at other event for one session and just put 14 session marks on the side walls.
They are working on it though
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Anyone wanting to race for points and or contingency will be required to start on sealed shocks.  :duck: 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Anyone wanting to race for points and or contingency will be required to start on sealed shocks.  :duck:

Sounds good, send them an email

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

That is really great news!

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Cool! Now everyone can use their three sets of shaved tires chasing the pole! :)

Still a much better plan than nothing though. Perhaps Toyo should offer special pricing on one marked set per entry so more people can justify it. What have they got to lose?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

J. Pressman

J. Pressman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

I like where this is headed.  Excited to see the official announcement with more details!

2007 ARRC Champion - SSM

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

If in fact tires will be monitored...here are some ideas...

1. Every competitor is supplied one new set of tires at the track(purchased)and Toyo supplies free mounting and balancing. During the mounting and balancing tech weighs and marks all wheel and tires.

2. Every competitor has the option to purchase a 2nd set OR bring a mounted set that will be checked for a minimum tread depth (3/32?)and also weighed and marked.

3. If 2 sets are purchased, either set may be used in any session(qual, qual race 1 and 2, Championship race)...practice or testing excluded. Those sets may NOT be mixed!

4. If only 1 set of new tires is purchased...that set MUST be run in the Championship race(with the option of any other session as well). Scrubs or new tires not mounted at the track(provided by the competitor) can only be run up to the Championship race. 

I think the above gives everyone an equal opportunity to manage their tires without an excuse if they flat spot any! I can see a few possible exceptions to this(no fault incidents)...which should be considered.

Again, as someone mention, the above would be only if a competitor wishes to be eligible for contingency's and or podium awards. If they choose not to purchase new tires they can run what they brung but will not receive(be skipped) any money or awards.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

If in fact tires will be monitored...here are some ideas...

1. Every competitor is supplied one new set of tires at the track(purchased)and Toyo supplies free mounting and balancing. During the mounting and balancing tech weighs and marks all wheel and tires.
2. Every competitor has the option to purchase a 2nd set OR bring a mounted set that will be checked for a minimum tread depth (3/32?)and also weighed and marked.
3. If 2 sets are purchased, either set may be used in any session(qual, qual race 1 and 2, Championship race)...practice or testing excluded. Those sets may NOT be mixed!
4. If only 1 set of new tires is purchased...that set MUST be run in the Championship race(with the option of any other session as well). Scrubs or new tires not mounted at the track(provided by the competitor) can only be run up to the Championship race. 

I think the above gives everyone an equal opportunity to manage their tires without an excuse if they flat spot any! I can see a few possible exceptions to this(no fault incidents)...which should be considered.

Again, as someone mention, the above would be only if a competitor wishes to be eligible for contingency's and or podium awards. If they choose not to purchase new tires they can run what they brung but will not receive(be skipped) any money or awards.

I don't like it that much.. Take the tire out of the equation for the only race that pays.. all stickers for big race.
Why couldn't I take set one during the 4 days,shave it to 1/32, scuff it and save it for the big race?
Tires that are brought and thick enough could be treated as well.
IMO, all stickers for big races as I heard is the best solution.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I was assuming it would be obvious if the tires were less than 4/32(scrubed if someone felt the need)and if someone wanted to run on 4 cycle tires so be it! If someone  wanted to leave the track...shave tires...and bring 1/32 it would be obvious...all would be looking. Stickers eliminates this for the big race...agreed. But I would say QUAL and qual races are just(if not more) as important to finish and gain that valuable top 5 or 6 starting position for the big race. Point being...if you are going to eliminate a variable(unlimited funds)...you have to do it for all sessions. Not saying my ideas are the best...just a conversation starter! 

No idea on treating tires...can that be checked for Jim?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I was assuming it would be obvious if the tires were less than 4/32(scrubed if someone felt the need)and if someone wanted to run on 4 cycle tires so be it! If someone  wanted to leave the track...shave tires...and bring 1/32 it would be obvious...all would be looking. Stickers eliminates this for the big race...agreed. But I would say QUAL and qual races are just(if not more) as important to finish and gain that valuable top 5 or 6 starting position for the big race. Point being...if you are going to eliminate a variable(unlimited funds)...you have to do it for all sessions. Not saying my ideas are the best...just a conversation starter! 

No idea on treating tires...can that be checked for Jim?

I have heard you can treat from inside? whether it makes any difference or not I have no idea?

I sent an email suggesting anyone running for contingency be required to buy two sets of tires... One for qual and qualifying races and one for the big race. Takes away all variables and most running for contingency will buy at least two sets of tires anyway, I bought three and rains for Sebring. Its not like they will go bad after the race. 

No idea what they will do, but glad they are thinking about it

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:56

NASA Champs.

I ran a set of stickers, 2 year old multi heat cycle and a fresh set of 2/32nd shaved tires.

The worst set was the stickers, they were not consistent from lap to lap.

I ran the first race with the two year old multi heat cycle tires and they were spot on consistent.

Put on the shaves when I had to start 20th, which caused a push so I had to change driving style. If you changed car for shaves they would have been the fastest.

My vote...Which will never happen....

Buy a set at the track, have TOYO mount and mark them. Run same set all weekend.

• Richard Astacio and J. Pressman like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

I vote 8 tires total ALL marked before the event starts----run any combo you want. No shaved tires wold be marked..   

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users