Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

*NASA already wrote the $80k check to Chris before the rest of the field even finished the race*

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

*Chris already went to the bank and cashed the check before Jim Drago crossed the finish line*

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

*Chris is already in NOLA, celebrating on Bourbon street, waiting for everybody else to finish at COTA*

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

*Chris Haldeman is already the selection for the 2018 #mrt24 Mazda Shootout*

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Tom Fowler, Nick Leverone, Haldeman, Labounty, etc, all touch their cars last, which is usually the night before they leave because that is the only time they have to work on their own stuff.  We all know how important prep is. 

:scratchchin:     If such is the process of Haldeman, he best never change when he works on his stuff. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
Congrats to all the podium finishers both days. Nicks drive Saturday was very impressive.

Super shout out to the dominator Chris Haldeman, having followed him around in practice and qual I knew he had us covered, it was just a matter of by how much. I guess he answered that question with an exclamation point. Way to go buddy.
  • Danica Davison likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Congrats to Chris Haldeman who put on a   D R I V I N G   C L I N I C   today. While all the rest of us were fighting over the scraps, Chris just vanished into the distance. He was in a completely different time zone. I had fun race coming from 14th to challenge for 2nd, racing amongst some really talented guys. Was fun to mix it up with Craig Berry, Jim Drago, Blake Clements, Danny Bender, Nick Leverone, Nick Sommers, Michael Ross and others.

Drago and I had a really fun last lap and I went really deep in T12, way out of track limits, Drago came alongside and I backed out of it, and had another late braking attempt in T19 but Drago got the run out of the turn. Absolutely exhausted at the end of it. Those are the races you remember.

• Jim Drago and screaming monkey like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

mdavis

mdavis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Region:Texas

So... I turned to Jim Drago during the "Driver's Meeting"/lecture on Saturday and commented that "somebody is going to get screwed"on the track limits notice.   Then commented to Toby Linder that it was probably going to be me.  I got called to the principal's office at the end of the race (after finishing 23rd) and was told I was going to get docked because I was outside the limits 4 times.  That's probably a fair assessment but at least 2 of those were trying to avoid hitting others.  I explained my position and the Chief Steward said I was ok.  I know that Rich Astacio and Steven Holloway were also called in.  Seriously doubt we were the only 3 folks who went outside the lines but mid-packers are easy prey.  If we go back there we need to get that situation sorted out beforehand. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

I had a mixed bag of results this weekend, winning the pole is nice but not finishing Sunday's race stung.  I drove the race I intended but I made a mistake on lap two that came back to haunt me in the end.  Money shift on a straight, WTF.  Second to last lap the engine let go and I had to limp in to the pits.  

Best part of the weekend was getting to visit with Anne Wheeler.  She is absolutely a shining star that brightens everyone's day.  Great to have her at the track where she belongs.  We will all continue to pray for her health and happiness.  

• tLinder, trimless, mhiggins10 and 1 other like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

So... I turned to Jim Drago during the "Driver's Meeting"/lecture on Saturday and commented that "somebody is going to get screwed"on the track limits notice.   Then commented to Toby Linder that it was probably going to be me.  I got called to the principal's office at the end of the race (after finishing 23rd) and was told I was going to get docked because I was outside the limits 4 times.  That's probably a fair assessment but at least 2 of those were trying to avoid hitting others.  I explained my position and the Chief Steward said I was ok.  I know that Rich Astacio and Steven Holloway were also called in.  Seriously doubt we were the only 3 folks who went outside the lines but mid-packers are easy prey.  If we go back there we need to get that situation sorted out beforehand. 

I had to leave so didn't speak to anyone...My flight was boarding around 2:20 and the race finished at 1:45...talk about running close. I remember going outside the line big time in the esses due to a car being lapped..It was 5-6 cars nose to tails and we came upon him at the wrong spot on the course. I think we split the car going around him and he was erratical so yes guilty as charged but wanted to avoid a wreck. Was that your incident?

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Best part of the weekend was getting to visit with Anne Wheeler.  She is absolutely a shining star that brightens everyone's day.  Great to have her at the track where she belongs.  We will all continue to pray for her health and happiness.  

Good news to hear she was there...  Sucks when engines expire....

• Bench Racer, MPR22 and Jim Drago like this
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

...Nick's car doesn't have the best straight line talent for whatever reason.

This is what my sarcasm was referencing.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

I had a mixed bag of results this weekend, winning the pole is nice but not finishing Sunday's race stung.  I drove the race I intended but I made a mistake on lap two that came back to haunt me in the end.  Money shift on a straight, WTF.  Second to last lap the engine let go and I had to limp in to the pits.  

Had fun running with you Michael, thought we might be able to upset Drago if we worked together, but he held out to the bitter end. Was surprised to see you disappear so fast but thats what a blown motor will do. PS - never push Drago - he doesn't need any help!!!!

• Jim Drago and Preston Pardus like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

I had to leave so didn't speak to anyone...My flight was boarding around 2:20 and the race finished at 1:45...talk about running close. I remember going outside the line big time in the esses due to a car being lapped..It was 5-6 cars nose to tails and we came upon him at the wrong spot on the course. I think we split the car going around him and he was erratical so yes guilty as charged but wanted to avoid a wreck. Was that your incident?

Richard, cannot believe you made your flight - we had a 3pm flight but with impound and all we ended up having to fly back this morning. Was good to see you there! Are you coming to NOLA

Danny

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

PS - never push Drago - he doesn't need any help!!!!

Danny, ya need to message the KID in the 1.6, Nick Sommers. :bigsquaregrin:

• Jim Drago likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Congratulations to Chris Haldeman on an exceptional weekend.  Also congratulations to the rest of the podium finishers which were Nick Leverone, Nick Sommers and Danny Steyn.  Blake had a good run on Saturday as well finishing in fourth after starting a little ways back with car issues in qualifying.  

Cota and Austin are both a really nice place to go and race. The weather disappointed a little bit this trip, but still great. Sydney Yagel is the best with registration, I was in and out with a tech sticker literally in 2-3 minutes. 

As for us, we should have done better in qualifying ( says everyone but Michael and Chris)  You need to start up front there or you burn through your tires quickly trying to get there.  We had a fun and low key weekend, Our camp was small and fun. Myself, Rich Astacio, Craig Berry and Ricky Juncos.  Justin Hille made a guest appearance coaching with Rich. Also long time friend and 2007 SM national Champion, Brad Rampelberg was in town for business and stopped by Friday morning and hung with us all morning.  Nice seeing him.

My race Sunday was fun and hard fought trying to get from 8 to 2.  Good racing coming through, at the end Danny almost had me! As I told Danny in impound.. I would rather finish third and him fourth, than me second and him first :) Knowing Danny was going to try a late brake at the end of the straight on the last lap, I gave so little room, probably a car and a foot, I figured no way even Danny would try it... Sure enough he did :) He got me too as I couldn't really turn in, but he went way wide.. to even the score a little I went under him at 12 and ran it and him a little wide :) Then at twenty he had another run at me and dove under me at the last corner. I was able to over under with enough momentum to beat him to the line. Say what you like about Danny, But that guy never gives up. You better race him to the line.  That was fun, thank you. 

Lots said about Nick Sommers and his 1.6.. Sucks to be the new good looking kid transferring schools :) The car was very good, Nick was very good. Nick seems like a very stand up young man with his head screwed on straight. I was not upset that he protested me, That is how the system is supposed to work. I even advised him to do so if he felt I had wronged him.  As I left the track, he was talking to the stewards, I went in and told him again no hard feelings, sorry the contact occurred regardless of how/why and wished him luck on his protest.  

Thanks to all of the guys under our tent who helped out! See you guys at Nola

Jim

• Joe (dad) Jordan, Bench Racer, Danny Steyn and 2 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Richard, cannot believe you made your flight - we had a 3pm flight but with impound and all we ended up having to fly back this morning. Was good to see you there! Are you coming to NOLA

I had Justin driving the rental while I was yelling out instructions...We both had the same flight to Atlanta and made it with the skin of our teeth. 

Yes I will be in Nola, second trip back there so hopefully I will continue progressing. Every time I get down on myself I think of you....I say man if Danny can still do it at age 70 I can still continue to improve...Thanks for the inspiration!  :hugegrin:

• Bench Racer, Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and 2 others like this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Every time I get down on myself I think of you....I say man if Danny can still do it at age 70 I can still continue to improve...Thanks for the inspiration!  :hugegrin:

LOL!

• Richard Astacio likes this

Danny

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Nice Job to all the old guys---Sorry Chris---anyone over 30 is old at this point. 

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

For those of you that are interested in the video of Sunday's race 2, here it is. Lots of fun racing with some very quick guys. Sorry to see both Ross and Clements have issues. I also believe Matt Reynolds had to retire from both races on the outlap so I would say that his weekend wasn't the best. 

if you just want the last lap desperation passes skip forward to 32:40 - Enjoy

• MPR22 and Richard Astacio like this

Danny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users