• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Peter, I’m not saying that they aren’t an overall improvement to safety. From what I read in the past I’m not certain that there aren’t a few potential negatives as well, but let’s assume not. Overall safety has improved a great deal over the years thanks to the many innovations and improvements, and this is just one more. I’m reluctant to give too much weight to one person’s anecdotal evidence but I don’t doubt he’s seen enough to believe that H&N is sometimes reducing injuries. It would be hard to imagine otherwise. But I also know how many times I’ve read or heard someone recounting their own crash and expressing absolute certainty that the Hans saved their life. You'd think that until a few years ago every heavy crash resulted in a fatal basilar skull fracture. The one most people will mention wouldn’t even have been prevented by a Hans, if I recall correctly.

As I said, we could come up with lots of ways to make racing safer for everyone but most wouldn’t be considered acceptable. I promise that I wouldn’t think you are a moron or a bad person just for pushing back on some of them. But I would question why if some are applied to driving my SM but not my monster street cars.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Steve,

To be clear about one thing:  Dr. Gaver, as head of the Road America medical team, was responsible for and recorded information about, all non-pro headline events at the track, not just SCCA.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

dstevens, there as you know showing data for 0* & 30* frontal. I have copied data from Defnder/NextGen which shows lateral load reduction. HANS because of their total dominance over EVERYONE never published ANY lateral load reduction because they would have been ashamed. I've viewed several manufactures crash sled testing including HANS IIRC doing lateral tests. The dummy died of a basil skull fracture. Hence there lateral load devise requirement. As I stated previously I talked with a manufacture and the manufactures a few years ago agreed to minimize the data they publish.  Because there are H &N  restraints available and after watching sled crash videos, even without a mandatory rule, anybody would be a total fool to not use a H&N restraint. Kind of like PDX & Track Nights In America, it will happen. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32

Something tells me that you missed the point. ....

But don’t let the rest of my rant distract you from the task at hand, please work on that list and then tell me where YOU draw the line, and why.

Nope, I got the point perfectly well. You missed mine. Your libertarian rant amused me so I took the piss.

CNJ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

https://www.reddit.c...plit_open_by_a/

https://en.wikipedia..._One_fatalities

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Nope, I got the point perfectly well. You missed mine. Your libertarian rant amused me so I took the piss.

CNJ

OK. I do have what some consider a libertarian streak, I would find it impossible to believe in what I think some portions of the US Constitution stand for and not have one. (clumsy sentence) But I’ve never even come close to voting for a libertarian candidate. Like every party they are just too extreme in some areas, and have yet to pick someone who seems well equipped for the actual job.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

https://www.reddit.c...plit_open_by_a/

https://en.wikipedia..._One_fatalities

Was there something in particular to be gleaned from those? Serious question. I could draw a number of parallels and inferences, or I could find myself focusing on the irrelevance to what we do today. Sometimes I pick up on your message but this could go different directions. If it is just another reference to progess in safety not always readily accepted by some, and the potential consequences, then I suppose my response is still the same.

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

Guys. The OP just wanted to know what brands you all like. Not the philosophical and geo-political implications of anti-basilar skull fracture devices and their relevance in modern society.

• mbican likes this

http://jenkinsracing.com

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67

Guys. The OP just wanted to know what brands you all like. Not the philosophical and geo-political implications of anti-basilar skull fracture devices and their relevance in modern society.

The anti-basilar skull fracture industry to me is just like a story I know called "The Puppy Who Lost His Way."

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Uh... This is the internet... And it's spec miata. That's what we do here.
  • Cnj, Danica Davison, Erik Hardy and 2 others like this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mbican

mbican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Ohio
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:42

Thanks for the input and interesting debate, went to local race shop and tried them out, went with the necksgen rev 2 lite.

• dstevens likes this

Rick Worth

Rick Worth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Number:24

Hans Sport III for me. Started with it in HPDE. Used it now for 2 years in Spec Miata and don't know it's there. Really like it. 

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23

Hey guys (and gals), I've decided to retire my 12 year old HANS and buy a Necksgen Rev 2 Lite.  Do these ever go on sale or is it a fixed price affair per the manufacturer?

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Texas

When I got a NextGen Rev last year they had a $150 discount if I'd return my old NextGen to them. The details were on their website. I don't remember if it applied to HANS brand also?

• Michael Colangelo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users