Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

medium.jpg?1516827565

TOPEKA, Kan. (Jan. 24, 2018) -- The Sports Car Club of America® has officially announced the 2019 SCCA® National Championship Runoffs® will be held October 8-13 at beautiful VIRginia International Raceway (VIR) in Alton, Virginia. This will be the very first time the Runoffs has been held at the sprawling venue located near the border of Virginia and North Carolina.

“We’re thrilled to take amateur racing’s most prestigious event to one of the most beautiful and challenging racetracks in the country, returning it to the Eastern United States for the first time since 2015,” said Eric Prill, SCCA Vice President & COO.  “The VIR visit continues SCCA’s current practice of moving the Runoffs to different locations around the country each year.  And with the amazing track, facility and backdrop VIR offers, we’re sure the Runoffs will be a ‘must-attend’ for our entire membership and racing fans alike in 2019, and a fantastic way to cap SCCA’s 75th anniversary year.”

Recognized as one of Car and Driver magazine’s top six road courses in the nation, VIR draws thousands of spectators each year for some of the best road racing in the country. Its uphill Esses and sharp elevation changes not only make it a fan and driver favorite, but VIR has also received international acclaim and rave reviews as one of the most exciting road courses in all of motorsports.

Connie Nyholm, VIR’s Owner and CEO, noted that the track first opened in 1957 as one of the country’s first permanent road racing circuits. Recognizing greatness, the 3.27-mile track -- which will be used for the Runoffs -- has remained exactly the same since, with the only change being widening some places to offer safer run-off room.

“I can't tell you how excited we are to welcome the best amateur drivers in the U.S. for the 56th edition of the Runoffs,” Nyholm said.  “SCCA sanctioned the very first race here, and again in March 2000 when Harvey Siegel and I re-opened the resurrected VIR. Having the 2019 Runoffs will be an important part of VIR's history."

The first official event at VIR was an SCCA race that attracted stars like Carroll Shelby, Carl Haas, Bob Holbert, Augie Pabst, Don Yenko, Dr. Dick Thompson and Walt Hansgen. The track became a fixture in SCCA racing and a favorite among racers due to its high-speed straights, challenging turns and dramatic elevation changes.  Today, the venue plays host to the Hoosier Racing Tire SCCA Super Tour, IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and Pirelli World Challenge.

While racing is the heart of VIR, the expansive 1,300-acre property is so much more. America’s first true “motorsport resort,” it’s an entire vacation destination with a number of onsite hotel and lodging options. Within the property’s rolling hills and miles of lush forest, guests can enjoy unique amenities such as the exclusive Driver’s Club, dining options, spa, karting, skid pad, and even shooting sports. Located near Danville and South Boston, Virginia, the circuit is within 45 minutes of 1,500 hotel rooms and 100 restaurants. Contact VIR at lodge@virnow.com or call (434) 822-7700 x101 for lodging assistance.

The Runoffs, which caps the Summit Racing Equipment SCCA Road Racing program each year, has evolved into what is now commonly agreed to be the pinnacle of American motorsports.  Since 1964, the SCCA has crowned National Champions at the winner-take-all, single race Runoffs format through dozens of separate races over three days.  In 2019, there will be three days of qualifying, followed by three days of racing. VIR joins Riverside (1964, 1966, 1968), Daytona International Speedway (1965, 1967, 1969, 2015), Road Atlanta (1970-1993), Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (1994-2005, 2016), Heartland Motorsports Park (2006-2008), Road America (2009-2013), Laguna Seca (2014), Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2017) and Sonoma Raceway (2018) as Runoffs hosts.

While the SCCA looks forward to the 56th Runoffs at VIR in 2019, racers are currently qualifying for the 2018 Runoffs being held October 16-21 at Sonoma Raceway in Sonoma, California.  The traditional 12-turn, 2.52-mile course layout will be used for that event.

About the Sports Car Club of America:
The Sports Car Club of America®, Inc., founded in 1944, is a 67,500-member motorsports organization that incorporates all facets of autocross, rally and road racing at both Club and professional levels. With headquarters in Topeka, Kansas, the SCCA annually sanctions over 2,000 events through its 116 Regions and subsidiary divisions. Much of the SCCA's activities are made possible with support from the following Official Partners: Chevrolet, the Official Truck of the SCCA; Hawk Performance, the Official Brake Products of SCCA; Mobil 1, the Official Oil of SCCA; Sunoco, the Official Fuel of SCCA; and Tire Rack, the Official Tire Retailer of SCCA. To learn more, please visit www.scca.com.

Photo: An aerial view of VIRginia International Raceway
Credit: Courtesy of VIRginia International Raceway

• ChrisA, Jim Drago, Richard Astacio and 1 other like this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Will be a good choice as I think SCCA will need it as I think the trip west last time has broke the desire for most of us to want to head west again.

VIR will bring a lot of competitors

Jim 

• chris haldeman and Danica Davison like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Love this track! 

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Love this track! 

Yes and its not a million mile drive for most of us except the west coasters. Will make the effort to get there this year.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

What's the record for most SM's to ever start a race?  Could be broken at this event. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

IIRC, 78 cars is the limit for the track. I believe they were very close to that last Spring at the SARRC/MARRS Challenge, which I decided not to do...

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Will be a good choice as I think SCCA will need it as I think the trip west last time has broke the desire for most of us to want to head west again.

VIR will bring a lot of competitors

Jim 

So taking the drama portion of it out of the equation...basically time and expense to haul across the country being the main issue? 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

IIRC, 78 cars is the limit for the track. I believe they were very close to that last Spring at the SARRC/MARRS Challenge, which I decided not to do...

Says the layout is 3.27 miles. At 25 cars per mile ... that is 81.75 cars + 10% if approved by Chief Steward would = 89.925 (90) cars.

• sentercut likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

Have fun with Code 35!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I've been in several races at VIR that had a Code 35. I honestly don't see what the problem with it is. It worked without issue and prevented the need for a black flag. No big deal.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

What's the record for most SM's to ever start a race?  Could be broken at this event. 

88 Miatas finished (plus two that went less than half race distance, so 90 starters) at VIR at the 2007 SARRC/MARRS Challenge, albeit mixed group of SM and SSM.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

Unfortunately it's a 20 hour tow for me. Sonoma is 29 hours. I might have to wait for 2020 lol.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

So taking the drama portion of it out of the equation...basically time and expense to haul across the country being the main issue? 

About 6 months ago I had a conversation about the 14 runoffs. I was asked if I had my choice right now would I rather had won or had the money back I spent to compete. Without hesitation, I answered I would have much rather have the money. I don't feel that way about ANY other runoffs that I ran. The cost for us was at least 3x the norm. I think we can go west and participate in the Runoffs for 1.5x or so. But I really dont have much interest in going without what I feel is a reasonable opportunity of competing. I realize that is not everyone's goal, but that's a big part for me. To do that would require a few visits( at least for me) and that puts us back at the 3.5x number :(

While many didn't like the venue, I didn't do all that well and I think it was a bit of a crap shoot.. Daytona to me was the most bang for the buck . We rented houses on the beach, brought the family.. the family had plenty to do besides racing..  I think VIR is a great place, only been there once.. But I think it will be similar to Mid Ohio with regards to bringing family and things to do other than at the track. 

• Danica Davison and lillyweld like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Raced more than once in 90 car SM fields at VIR. We can easily break the record there.
  • Richard Astacio likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I really enjoy vir as a race track and I am positive I will be bringing lots of cars for this Runoffs!!
I agree with jim on Daytona tho! Fun per dollar at Daytona was top shelf!
  • Jim Drago, Danica Davison, Xav and 1 other like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

Says the layout is 3.27 miles. At 25 cars per mile ... that is 81.75 cars + 10% if approved by Chief Steward would = 89.925 (90) cars.

Okay, guess I don't remember correctly  :unsure: . I remember emails going out last Spring about changes to the groupings because they exceeded the limit (think they tried to combine an IT group with us, then went back to SM & SSM). So, maybe the number was 82 without further approval..? 

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Preston Pardus

Preston Pardus

The Man. The Myth. The Legend.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Car Number:42

Is it to early to start the campaign? #DaytonaRunoffs2020

• Danica Davison likes this
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

At Sebring a couple of weeks ago, we talked about having a future Runoffs there. Lot's of paved paddock, track can easily hold 90 cars and ease of pulling stranded cars. Only thing we thought might need to be fixed is put up safer barrier in place of tires at 17. A late October date would work in the area. But, yes, a return to Daytona and Indy would be fine. I can't see many making long haul to left coast from right coast. We'll see.

VIR is going to be a heck of a race. Remember, Roxboro, NC and South Boston, VA are only about 25 minutes from track and both have 3 or 4 hotels. Make your reservations ASAP. Plenty of restaurants in both towns. Danville is a bit closer if you can find one to reserve. And if you have big bucks, there is the hotel on property at VIR.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Car Number:10

Is it to early to start the campaign? #DaytonaRunoffs2020

Yassss!  The only chance I have to win a Runoffs ... but will most likely finish second by 0.008 seconds again like every other race lol.

#DaytonaRunoffs2020 #MakeSMGreatAgain #NotMyRunoffs

• Derrick Ambrose and Preston Pardus like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Yassss!  The only chance I have to win a Runoffs ... but will most likely finish second by 0.008 seconds again like every other race lol.

#DaytonaRunoffs2020 #MakeSMGreatAgain #NotMyRunoffs

Only if the top 20 cars fail tech.  :optimist:

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users