- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

loudes13

loudes13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Last summer I helped a buddy running Nasa by mounting his Toyo RR’s for him on some TR Motorsport rims. I had a heck of a time getting the bead to pop. On all 4 I had to use excessive air pressure and two of them I had to leave for hours at 100psi to finally get them to pop and balance.

I’m going to run Nasa this year and I’m wondering if this is common. If it were summer I would let them warm up in the sun and mount them, but it hasn’t been above freezing in months here.

I’ve never had this issue with sm7’s or other tires.

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

Like many things in life.....things just slide better with a little bit of lube..................................

Don't gob on dish soap that doesn't dry well, use tire lube. I do this all the time,and no, I have never seen a Miata move a tire on a rime due to accell or decell.....................My old tube chassis GT car yes, but Miata no.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I have seen tires rotate on the rims of an SM. I mark my tires when first mounted and have had them rotate as much as 90*, causing them to be unbalanced. I started using P80 temporary rubber lube, which helps. I never had a problem with getting the bead to seat with RA-1s but Hoosiers can require very high pressure to seat. Makes me nervous.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

The Pirellis used in PWC have the bead made undersized so as to prevent rotation. The only way we found to get the tire to bead up at less than 100lbs( which really IS dangerous) was to use some special sauce I got from someone who works with truck tires. Then they would bead up at 60lbs. Hoosiers do suck to bead up at times. Cantilevers are WAY more of a PIA. Hairspray has been known to work well as a lube as well as helping "glue" the bead to the rim.  If you are getting rotation with a Miata, I would check with the type of tire lube used. There just sn't enough power or deceleration rate ( and no downforce) with that small of a tire IMHO.But I guess YRMV...

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

We get the rotation on miata tires regularly.. If you mark them, you will find most do as well :)
Funny story.. We pitted with Tom and OPM and marked the valve stems on our tires and Danny looked at us like we had lost our minds. "I have never rotated a tire on a spec miata in all the years I have driven one" . The next session, unbeknown to us, he marked his tires.  "Holy shit, the tire moved 1/3 of the way around the rim"  :).  It happens way worse when Hoosier mounts them at the track as they really lube them up well when mounting.  The best thing we have come up with is to use as little lube as possible and we do use hairspray, but still see about 4-6 inches is typical.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

^Yep. And you have to scrape all the picked up rubber off to rebalance them properly. THAT"S a pain in the ass!

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

We get the rotation on miata tires regularly.. If you mark them, you will find most do as well :)
Funny story.. We pitted with Tom and OPM and marked the valve stems on our tires and Danny looked at us like we had lost our minds. "I have never rotated a tire on a spec miata in all the years I have driven one" . The next session, unbeknown to us, he marked his tires.  "Holy shit, the tire moved 1/3 of the way around the rim"  :).  It happens way worse when Hoosier mounts them at the track as they really lube them up well when mounting.  The best thing we have come up with is to use as little lube as possible and we do use hairspray, but still see about 4-6 inches is typical.

True story!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

We have been using hair spray to mount Hoosiers for many years. Works ok as a lube, but really like the glue effect.

Hard to bead tires can be from the ire or from the wheel. I do not have any TRM wheels in the shop, so I can not compare.

Use Aqua-Net and relive the 80's

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

infamousjim

infamousjim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:313

Who would have thunk it... a bunch of miata guys talking about a topic quickly devolves to a conversation about hairspray.   :P

I've used soapy water when I mount my RR's (VERY light on the soap)... I wonder if RR's slip as much as hoosiers seem to do, I'll mark mine this spring. 

• Danny Steyn likes this

Jim 

No Money Motorsports Blog - Racing On A Budget

NASA Northeast

SM #313

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Who would have thunk it... a bunch of miata guys talking about a topic quickly devolves to a conversation about hairspray.    :P

I've used soapy water when I mount my RR's (VERY light on the soap)... I wonder if RR's slip as much as hoosiers seem to do, I'll mark mine this spring. 

Hoosiers move more than Toyos

• Jim Drago likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I use P-80 as a temporary lubricant, but nothing really stops it, including hair spray. If they move a little i just leave it if they move a lot, i just put them back on the tire changer and reposition them. Its the benefit of having your own tire changer.

I have never had a problem inflating a Toyo RR or ra1 and i have not had to use an inflator just take out the valve stem guts when inflating.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Try WD-40. Slippery for mounting but then seems to increase friction as it soaks in to the bead rubber, probably softening it. Our long-time tire guy still keeps a bucket of Murphy’s or the like around but started using WD-40 for the difficult ones some years ago. We found some of the old TD wheels particularly difficult to seat at <100 psi.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

loudes13

loudes13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I’ve heard wd40 will get tacky as it dries but never tried it.

I personally use bead sealer as my lube. My hope that it will prevent slipping on the rim. It seems to work well.

I haven’t used soap mounting tires on my personal cars since I started autoxing and racing and mounting my own stuff 20 years ago.

I suspect the RR is more undersized than the Hoosier because I don’t recall having too many issues with the Hoosier.

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

Tire movement in my experience comes from braking and happens in almost all applications, The short nature of a race tire causes many not notice, or they do not threshold brake hard enough to see movement.   I've even seen them move on bspec cars and formula v's!

• Danny Steyn likes this

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

J. Pressman

J. Pressman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

To echo what others have mentioned about hairspray...  Has been used for years in bike shops to seat grips on MTB handlebars too.  Works as a lubricant and then dries tacky. 

2007 ARRC Champion - SSM

philstireservice

philstireservice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Make sure you lube the wheel in the correct area. The lube I use dries after the tire in mounted. Of course we use it sparingly.

http://philstireservice.com Enkei Team Dynamics The Miata Wheel Motegi Apex Wedsport Hoosier Toyo BFG Michelin Nankang Federal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users