manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59

I see that the new AIM Solo 2 is soon to be released, and one of the selling points is that it uses data from two satellite constellations, GPS and Glonass, for improved speed and accuracy.  I just got my AIM Solo last year, and have been very happy with it.  However, when exporting data to a KML file, and importing into Google Earth, the tracing seems to be off by a few feet.  So, the Big Question is, how much more accurate is the new version compared to the older model?  Would it be worth selling the older one and upgrading?  The other new features: Wifi, color backlighting, enhanced display, etc, are all nice, but I would not upgrade for those things alone.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

I can't answer your question directly, but the current products (like mxl2/mxs/mxg) that use the external GPS08 module also use the Glonass satellites. You might find some info on them. Accuracy is supposed to be much much better.

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59

Since posting the question, I have been doing some research on the GPS system in general.  It turns out that a lot of the inaccuracy is inherent in the signal characteristics, and having more satellites to look at will only improve accuracy in certain conditions.  It WILL allow the receiver to get a "fix" on the satellites faster, but that is not really a concern for me.  Upgrades to the GPS satellites are in the works, which will allow civilian grade GPS equipment to measure positions to within inches, but I will probably be too old to get in and out of a race car by the time that system comes online!

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TrailBrake

TrailBrake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

In practice, using Glonass and GPS satellites makes a far more accurate GPS placement, but for most analysis, I don't think it's a major change. Most of the time when I've seen problems with GPS driven line put on a Google map, it's the Google map that changes. You can look at historical maps and see how the position changes in different views. Roger Caddell, AiM Trainer, has a great set of slides in his presentation on this showing the changes at Laguna Seca. 

• manthony121 likes this

Matt Romanowski

www.TrailBrake.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users