FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Some time back we discussed the potential of an offset bushing moving and if it was a risk.

I was doing an alignment on a customer car and could not get the correct amount of camber. Upon closer examination, one of the front upper offset bushing had rotated and snapped off the rivet that i used to hold it in place.

The issues were that the control arm  i started with was a bit rusty from a part car, also the car took a decent hit in the front.

My point is that they can move and if your numbers are not adding up its worth to take a good look at that.

:blink:

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Not being accusational at all. But I can see no way for one bushing to rotate without the other one rotating unless they where install wrong(not perfectly in line) or from crash damage.

The inner sleeve rotates within the bushing. So there should be no rotational forces on the main part of the bushing.

just my opinion

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Not being accusational at all. But I can see no way for one bushing to rotate without the other one rotating unless they where install wrong(not perfectly in line) or from crash damage.

The inner sleeve rotates within the bushing. So there should be no rotational forces on the main part of the bushing.

just my opinion

dave

Well i can confirm they were facing the right direction when they were installed because the rivet I put in there sheered and I could see it had rotated. It was a pretty big hit but i am leaning toward that the integrity of the control arm where you press in the bushing was not that good. The bushings went in easier that they should have. I am thinking that was a big factor. But you can accuse me if you want :)

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

If not riveted I have seen them move fore / aft. We use steel rivets and have not had a issue. 

So yea Frank its your fault :)

• Jim Drago and FTodaro like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

We rivet them as well

Can we all just go back to bending spindles now :(

• Johnny D, William Keeling, Andy L and 1 other like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

TylerQuance

TylerQuance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:92

I'm too new to this to have seen as many failures as you guys have, but rivets didn't sound like a good idea so I drill the arm and bushing for a 1/4" dowel pin and tack weld the pin to the arm. I try to leave a little of the pin protruding from the back of the arm in case I need to grind off the weld and pull the pin out to remove the bushing later. 

Tyler Quance 

Race Bushing Factory

Home of the turn-key SM Offset Bushing Control Arms

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

Are you talking about the Whiteline or the ISC bushings? I have seen a few ISC poly bushings move after the rivets snapped. It happens more to the guys bashing curbs harder than others. The bushings were coming with 1/8in rivets, but I would rather install 3/16 steel to see if that helps. Otherwise I too, would rather tweak spindles than deal with the PIA BS involved with installing/maintaining bushings or the poor quality/durability of the extended ball joints.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Are you talking about the Whiteline or the ISC bushings? I have seen a few ISC poly bushings move after the rivets snapped. It happens more to the guys bashing curbs harder than others. The bushings were coming with 1/8in rivets, but I would rather install 3/16 steel to see if that helps. Otherwise I too, would rather tweak spindles than deal with the PIA BS involved with installing/maintaining bushings or the poor quality/durability of the extended ball joints.

These were Whiteline. I did use Steel rivets this time not sure about the initial install.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

We rivet them as well

Can we all just go back to bending spindles now :(

Have at it, but only the rear suspension.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users