13 replies to this topic

Miamirice

Miamirice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:46
Hello. I am new to the SM scene. Did my first weekend at PBIR with NASA and while we only had 7 cars it was great.

I am interested in the advanced Autosports windows that just pop in to prevent rain when the car is in the paddock. My question is have any of you used these during towing on an open trailer? If so what if any extra precaution is needed to keep them in place?

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Hello. I am new to the SM scene. Did my first weekend at PBIR with NASA and while we only had 7 cars it was great.

I am interested in the advanced Autosports windows that just pop in to prevent rain when the car is in the paddock. My question is have any of you used these during towing on an open trailer? If so what if any extra precaution is needed to keep them in place?

I tow with an open trailer and have same style windows.  A little duct tape at top or side edges of window is the most I've ever done to secure them.  Candidly I've towed without any tape at all and never had one get away. 

• mellen likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:35
Advanced sells the brackets, you supply the windows. The set up is great and worked for me in an open trailer situation. In terms of mounting them to the brackets, if you have some of the plastic/ metal hardware that comes with the windows it's pretty self explanatory. The brackets hang on the internal door panel.If part of the panel has been removed on the driver side, you may need to mount the bracket on the outside of the window, so it hangs on the outer part of the door. With a little bit of finesse you can get the windows to fit perfectly for transport. The only pain is finding a place for them in the paddock... As they are easy to break if knocked over the wrong way.

Hope this helps.

Cal

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
I kept my OEM windows, and left a little of the rear track to slide the knob on the window into. Molding on the vent window holds the front in place.
  • DrDomm and Danica Davison like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I make lexan replacements out of 1/8" thick stock. No worries about breaking them. I use a bung strap to hold the windows in place. And add a little duct tape along the leading edge like Tom mentions above. I tow on a open trailer also. Works great.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

Just buy the brackets and use stock windows. I  tow with an open trailer and it works fine; no tape or anything needed.

• mellen and Danica Davison like this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

EricJ

EricJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Texas

Just buy the brackets and use stock windows. I  tow with an open trailer and it works fine; no tape or anything needed.

I did the same before the full containment seat. Worked great.

With the full containment seat I had to remove the drivers side vent window.

I made a lexan window that covers both, attached the Advanced Autosport bracket and use blue tape to keep it closed at the top while on the open trailer.

Miamirice

Miamirice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the responses

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

My "holder uppers" are designed to mount to the oem glas windows, using the oem hardware and plastic clips. They hang from the inner door frame. If your inner door frame is removed, simply reverse to holder uppers, mount on the outside of the window. I highly recommend liberal use of duct tape to protect your paint.

Although not designed to be weather tight, they will keep most of the rain in the outside of the car. In all the years I have been selling these, i have never heard of one flying off during transport. But anything is possible.

Hope that helps, they are on the shelf

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

loudes13

loudes13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I stored a car outdoors and drove & trailered with them with good results. Not perfectly water tight but good enough. Highly recommended.
  • Eric Orton likes this

alangj

alangj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Region:SFR SCCA
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
I’ve been using them for awhile and never had a problem with either rain or popping loose on my open trailer. Ordering some more for my new, 2nd SM and some for a friend. Good news: they are now ordered per window, not as pair, so you can order just the driver’s side if you have one side NASCAR bars into the door cavity. Bad news: cost a bit more. I’m waiting for Advanced to fab up a lexan unit so we can use it on the halo seat cars without the wing window

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Used the slide-in windows supports for years and never had an issue or a need to use tape. The weathertightness of them is questionable but then again you're only risking moisture in your seat if your electronics are mounted far enough to the inside.

Secondarily, if you have the NACA ducts in the quarter windows, always be certain to plug them so you're not pressurizing the cabin and potentially pushing these "gravity mounted" windows outward into the airflow. That will have a bigger impact on them becoming highway missiles than not.

P.S. Use the yellow top of the Invisible Glass cleaner can and you have a reasonably easy to see visual on whether you've capped the NACA ducts.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

P.S. Use the yellow top of the Invisible Glass cleaner can and you have a reasonably easy to see visual on whether you've capped the NACA ducts.

Tennis balls also friction-fit perfectly, and offer a similar high-visibility feature.  They also come 3x to a set, and double as entertainment for the dogs.  In a pinch you can always throw it at that guy that cut you off...after the race, of course, in the paddock. 

I make my lexan windows following the OEM glass profile to include the standard glass mounting holes.  I have templates for standard glass, removed quarter-window, and removed-quarter window and removed spike/post.  So far, I buy always Dave's mounts and attach it to the lexan. 

For drivers' doors where the inner window frame (steel) has also been removed (to improve egress) I attach to the outside of the window.  However, I am currently considering altering that plan for the driver's side (no-post/outter-mount) variants.  It doesn't work as well in that specific configuration, and there seems to be more "variation" between cars in these cases which makes mounting "more custom".  I made one the other day that fit my 1.6 perfectly.  But, when I tried to install it on a '99....it was like it was a totally different car.  Also, it doesn't keep the window tight to the outer door skin so "more" water gets inside. 

• EricJ likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Miamirice

Miamirice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Tennis balls also friction-fit perfectly, and offer a similar high-visibility feature. They also come 3x to a set, and double as entertainment for the dogs. In a pinch you can always throw it at that guy that cut you off...after the race, of course, in the paddock.

I make my lexan windows following the OEM glass profile to include the standard glass mounting holes. I have templates for standard glass, removed quarter-window, and removed-quarter window and removed spike/post. So far, I buy always Dave's mounts and attach it to the lexan.

For drivers' doors where the inner window frame (steel) has also been removed (to improve egress) I attach to the outside of the window. However, I am currently considering altering that plan for the driver's side (no-post/outter-mount) variants. It doesn't work as well in that specific configuration, and there seems to be more "variation" between cars in these cases which makes mounting "more custom". I made one the other day that fit my 1.6 perfectly. But, when I tried to install it on a '99....it was like it was a totally different car. Also, it doesn't keep the window tight to the outer door skin so "more" water gets inside.

Appreciate all the good info. The quarter windows with NACA is on my “todo” list

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users