Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Ok, with the following IT rule...

"Power steering may be disabled or removed in whole or in part. Hydraulic steering assist pumps, valves, reservoirs, hoses, and heat exchangers, and electric steering assist motors, sensors, and controllers may be removed. Hydraulic hoses may be looped and a reservoir may be added to maintain a supply of fluid for depowered racks. Electric systems may be disconnected. Openings to the mechanical steering system created by this allowance may be plugged or filled. If power steering is present, it must be the system fitted as stock for the vehicle without modification except where expressly permitted otherwise by these rules."

We can now run our SMs in Improved Touring, without fear of being illegal, correct?  I'm sure this has been addressed in one of the GCR update threads, but I missed it and it doesn't readily pop up in a search.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

The SM allowed head work is still not legal in IT. Updated diffs (1.8 in a 1.6 car) is not legal. Updating under car bracing not legal.

BUT, the ps issue is the biggest issue. The others are weinie items.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

The SM allowed head work is still not legal in IT. Updated diffs (1.8 in a 1.6 car) is not legal. Updating under car bracing not legal.

Yeah, I believe another issue is the trans tunnel notch and the floor drop if you have that done in your SM.  But, both weenie items as well.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Number:35
SM-ITS as their own group? At least has a nice ring to it.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Ok, wow...the plunge cut thing?  

What I posted above about the Power Steering seems to make de-powering the rack (like your method) legal, doesn't it?

I have a '00...there is no updated under car bracing...it's stock.

Yeah, I believe another issue is the trans tunnel notch and the floor drop if you have that done in your SM.  But, both weenie items as well.

I have no tunnel notch or floor drop.

I'm just considering sneaking in a couple more sessions (for practice), and the IT race group fits in nice.  I'll prolly leave the restrictor plate on.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

I'm just considering sneaking in a couple more sessions (for practice), and the IT race group fits in nice.  I'll prolly leave the restrictor plate on.

You will be fine. Most of us down here run STL (The class the GCR says we should run) because some IT guys weren't happy with us ruining their races with our packs of cars.  But yes, two notes about the restrictor plate:

1.) You are allowed to run STL in SM trim. Meaning, if you remove the restrictor plate, you have to add on like 200 pounds to the car to be legal. So your car would weigh the same as Nick Leverone's STL purpose built car, yet only make 13 more hp.

2.) You wont win in STL unless nobody with a fast car shows up, so like you said, use it for practice.  That being said, pulling the plate will not help you at all, and will actually hurt you when you move back to SM.  When you pull the plate, all of your brake points, shift points, and muscle memory changes.  For most people, this will cause you to go back to SM and brake/shift where you were without the plate ... which will make you slower.

Just my thoughts :)

• DrDomm likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

In my region and STL and SM are already combined, so our only option is ITA if we want more track time.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

The de-powered rack thing was an issue here long ago but a rule was made explicitly to include NAs in ITA so long as they run full SM trim including weight and restrictor. A few of the ITA guys whined incessantly and made me want to build a real ITA Miata to shame them into silence, but they were already at least 2 seconds off the pace so it seemed pointless.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

So, why not enter as a production car? If you are just looking for track time, that should solve your problem. Might even win a trophy. Never going to beat a well prepared FP or EP car but then again, they don't always finish. Only non SM thing required I can think of is the on board fire system and you might be able to get around that by saying you are a IT car running prod in IT trim.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

So, why not enter as a production car? If you are just looking for track time, that should solve your problem. Might even win a trophy. Never going to beat a well prepared FP or EP car but then again, they don't always finish. Only non SM thing required I can think of is the on board fire system and you might be able to get around that by saying you are a IT car running prod in IT trim.

Man, I tell you what, one thing I do not like about racing in STL is racing with the Prod cars. The ones at the national level are fine ... but at the regional level ... it can be really scary.  This class outside national competition has become the geriatric class for the most part and they have the tiniest mirrors out of all the classes.  Most don't pay attention to what's around them or even use their tiny mirrors to see if anyone is coming.  They have very fast and light cars and they drive away from you on every straight ... and you make up 5 seconds in every corner. I really don't like racing in that group at all actually and thinking about going back to ITS for my double dipping despite being "illegal".  

• Jim Drago and LarryKing like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Chris Lefferdink

Chris Lefferdink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Number:12

Man, I tell you what, one thing I do not like about racing in STL is racing with the Prod cars. The ones at the national level are fine ... but at the regional level ... it can be really scary.  This class outside national competition has become the geriatric class for the most part and they have the tiniest mirrors out of all the classes.  Most don't pay attention to what's around them or even use their tiny mirrors to see if anyone is coming.  They have very fast and light cars and they drive away from you on every straight ... and you make up 5 seconds in every corner. I really don't like racing in that group at all actually and thinking about going back to ITS for my double dipping despite being "illegal".  

Agreed.  The last double dip with STL/SRF at Sebring was ridiculous. 

• Danica Davison and av8tor like this

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

What I did years ago with our local club, Midwestern Council, was to allow a 100% SM to run in ITA. Plate, weight, everything.must be SM legal.

STL has 3 sets of rules, True STL, Sm or IT. You have to chose which rules you are running, with no "mix and match" allowed.If you choose SM rules, you run a plate and everything else except the spec tire.

If you talk with the local officials, they will usually rearrainge the grouping to allow double dipping. After all it is to their benefit if they get more entry fees.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

Hey, that way you can practice passing in the corners. I figured there were not as many prod cars running up where he is vs the number you have in Florida. Most of them in NY have either rusted away or moved to Florida. <_<  Agree about prod drivers not watching mirrors. I got real good at looking in those tiny mirrors to see if I could see if their eyes were glued straight ahead or not. I even put a air horn on my National car when I ran some regionals for practice. That actually was for the old SSC cars that used to drive around in the middle of the track . It worked and got some great waives from the workers.

• Danica Davison likes this

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Hey, that way you can practice passing in the corners. I figured there were not as many prod cars running up where he is vs the number you have in Florida. Most of them in NY have either rusted away or moved to Florida. <_<  Agree about prod drivers not watching mirrors. I got real good at looking in those tiny mirrors to see if I could see if their eyes were glued straight ahead or not.

Haha I cringe every time I come up on one quickly. I think I need to write a letter to the CRB requesting that ALL Production classes need to install a 20 inch+ rear view mirror and reinstall side mirrors.  I know they will say "Thank you for your input. We advise no action at this time."  - but, at least all the prod guys will read it and get mad (if they even know how to find it online that is :D )

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Ever run the ECR Enduros? You have all manner of dilapidated IT cars, SRFs, and the occasional T-class Vette, Camaro, Stang to deal with - for an hour and a half. Great reflex building exercise.

PS: is there a regional prod car that doesn't leak fluids.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

SURE, non British cars. :rotfl:

• av8tor likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Ever run the ECR Enduros? You have all manner of dilapidated IT cars, SRFs, and the occasional T-class Vette, Camaro, Stang to deal with - for an hour and a half. Great reflex building exercise.

Of course I have, many times. But, I will say that CHUMPCAR drivers in their very first session on track, ever, are more predictable than a lot of the regional older prod car drivers. That's pretty sad lol

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

PC, it's really quite simple for you to not have these issues with prod car drivers, don't double dip in their class. I get real sick of reading the prod car SM BS on their site. Now, your doing the same BS on SM site towards the prod drivers.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

PC, it's really quite simple for you to not have these issues with prod car drivers, don't double dip in their class. I get real sick of reading the prod car SM BS on their site. Now, your doing the same BS on SM site towards the prod drivers.

DD, it's really quite simple for you to not have these issues with posts that are BS, don't take it so seriously.  :P

• Jim Drago likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

It is strange though ... I have only seen you get this sensitive when talking about parity. I found a new tick ;)

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users