22 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I can't see squat out of my left side mirror due to the mesh from the window net.  My previous window net was shortened (by the prior owner) and was easier to use (also, no mesh).  I presume that this was legal.  Any reason that I can't shorten the window net or remove the mesh from the offending area provided that the SFI label remains?

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

I think shortening will void the SFI.

Here's one of the smallest around.

https://www.advanced...able-window-net

Go a little bigger gets cheaper.

https://www.advanced...ucts/window-net

https://www.advanced...esh-window-nets

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Or make your own brackets and have this mirror mounted much lower than normal and all you do is roll your eyes to the mirror and with one glance you may view out drivers side window continuously to passengers side window. Mine is mounted with Garmin suction brackets and 2 aluminum strips to suite. I drilled through the Garmin sphere for # 10 bolt and nut. 

http://www.longacrer...acement Mirrors

https://www.cellphon...wE#.Wp7-q-jwaM8

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I have always had a bit of a mirror problem. As Drago. I have had a heavy mesh net for years and could not see out the driver side mirror. I would go as far to say it has contributed to contact.

I just installed this RJS net that Ralph fixed me up with I love it. Nice and small

Attached File  window net.JPG   129.12KB   21 downloads

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I have always had a bit of a mirror problem. As Drago. I have had a heavy mesh net for years and could not see out the driver side mirror. I would go as far to say it has contributed to contact.

I just installed this RJS net that Ralph fixed me up with I love it. Nice and small

attachicon.gifwindow net.JPG

Hmmm...why have a net?  Zip ties have many functions!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Please, someone remind me why window nets are mandatory on closed cars. That window net falls someplace right up there on the safety list with drivers not closing their helmet eye shield. 

• av8tor likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

All the rule says is you have to have a window net, it does not say how big it has to be. For years i struggled with a blind spot created by, in part, the type of net i had but i could not see well  out the driver mirror and that caused issues for me.

If it obstructs your vision, i think it does more harm than good, Now i have a clear shot at the mirror. :)

• Michael Colangelo likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

If it obstructs your vision, i think it does more harm than good, Now i have a clear shot at the mirror. :)

Until a chunk of something from outside the vehicle comes through your 50% window net, hit's your helmet and smacks some sense into you or until you crash and an arm hangs out the window and is  severely damaged. WE wonder why the GCR continues to get thicker.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Until a chunk of something from outside the vehicle comes through your 50% window net, hit's your helmet and smacks some sense into you or until you crash and an arm hangs out the window and is  severely damaged. WE wonder why the GCR continues to get thicker.

So its better to not be able to see and be safe as you continue to hit things ??  :scratchchin:

We've all had something from outside come through the window and hits my helmet and my arm keeps flying out the window every time I crash, happens all the time, right ??  :blink: 

Somebody's got a video I'd like to see. :)

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

I'm not going to debate whether or not window nets need to be in cars. However, as a tech person, I will tell you I do not think you have the window net installed as per the diagram in the GCR in the window net section. The net is installed way too far back and should be closer to the down section of the roof bar as per the diagram. My opinion and only my opinion. Be prepared to defend your mounting at some point. I don't think" I can't see" will be valid.

• av8tor likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Here's a pair of video's for all you anti safety folks.

Arms:  

Eyes:  Couldn't find the video of the Corvette smacking bird in windshield with open visor which indicated glass in eyes.

https://jalopnik.com...ttes-windshield

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I’ve had this discussion on grid at least a half dozen times because I pull the net back so I can see the mirror. So far I’ve always been successful in convincing them, though I could just as easily wait and pull it back after pulling out if necessary.

I bought my first dually and 2-car trailer from a guy who quit racing after hitting a wall broadside. His window net was not tight enough to keep his helmet from smacking the wall. I gave a little more thought to the net after that, but I think the primary point is keeping your arms inside. Think about open cockpit cars, all they have is arm restraints.

Frank’s net should be just fine, there is no way he could be strapped in and still get his arms out the window so it would be pretty silly for tech to fail him.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

To my understanding, that's not the purpose of the window net.  It is for the purpose of keeping your body parts inside in the event of a roll over, not for keeping crap out of the cabin.

So, if I took my window net and folded it over to end up looking like FTodaro's, it would be completely compliant without any modification (and a modification would void the certification).  I only wanted to cut the tiny mesh within the big grid - which I won't do now.  The first one I got with my car was in fact like FTodaro's, except that it had been cut to be shorter to fit the window - it was never objected to through the 10 years of tech that it went through, as modified.

But I do plan to move mine back so that I can see, too dangerous to not to.  I should've bought one without mesh, though that might not solve it alone.

http://www.sfifounda...27.1_101106.pdf

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

But, after I posted yesterday, it dawned on me that I would never see the window net in the up position. So, some other worker, grid or F & C, would have to report the net and then, tech might be asked to look at it. IMO, the purpose of the window net is to keep all your body parts from flying out the window whether attached or not. I doubt the net would offer much protection from something trying to enter your car.

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

I have the same problem. Would love to see someone make a Miata specific window net that somehow doesn't block the mirror.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

You can always move the mirror forward.  I moved it to improve egress with the Halo seat.  I think you can only move the mirror if you remove the quarter window, though. 

I couldn't find a photo with the window net in place.  But, with the mirror moved forward I have no issues seeing it.  I also use one of these mounted about 6" below the top of the front hoop. Neither is obscured by the window net. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I hope for your you and your family's sake you never regret using a half window net. Picture yourself with only one functional arm. Probably not an issue you being a lawyer and all, you'd sue the SCCA and SFI for not specifying a full window net is required. How about forwarding me the picture you posted so I may include the picture with the CRB letter.

Bench, again, speaking for me but figuring the same is true for Frank, I would need to come unbelted AND probably remove the steering wheel to get an arm substantially out the window past my short net. If an arm does get out the widow it is probably no longer attached anyway. Believe it or not, I’ve been known to drive around on the street with my window down and NO NET AT ALL, gasp!!! Rumor has it that some people even drive with the top down, crazy fools!

WTF are you going on about?? Maybe, just maybe, the rules (and notoriously over-written FIA specs) don’t spell it out for the obvious reason, how much of the window needs to be covered depends on the physical layout and driver position. If you have double-jointed ape-long arms that can fly out the window then by all means cover the friggin window, but stop harassing people who have figured out that they don’t have that risk and opt for better visibility which can actually save their ass multiple times every weekend. Cripes you can wind me up. I tried to ignore you on the other thread and PM then you start it up again here.
  • FTodaro likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Bench, again, speaking for me but figuring the same is true for Frank, I would need to come unbelted AND probably remove the steering wheel to get an arm substantially out the window past my short net. If an arm does get out the widow it is probably no longer attached anyway. Believe it or not, I’ve been known to drive around on the street with my window down and NO NET AT ALL, gasp!!! Rumor has it that some people even drive with the top down, crazy fools!

WTF are you going on about?? Maybe, just maybe, the rules (and notoriously over-written FIA specs) don’t spell it out for the obvious reason, how much of the window needs to be covered depends on the physical layout and driver position. If you have double-jointed ape-long arms that can fly out the window then by all means cover the friggin window, but stop harassing people who have figured out that they don’t have that risk and opt for better visibility which can actually save their ass multiple times every weekend. Cripes you can wind me up. I tried to ignore you on the other thread and PM then you start it up again here.

Steve, you need to watch a few wild a$$ Miata flipping videos and view where arms flip flop to and you wouldn't talk so loose. When I'm fully strapped in viewing out the outside drivers outside mirror is very difficult and I have a mesh window net. BUT, through my inside 17 inch Longacre convex rearview mirror (mounted much lower than OEM mirror height) with a quick glance I can view rearward from drivers side window all the way rearward and to a view out the passengers side window. A glance left or right and I can view forward of the side windows. Let's not use your street hypothetical's as a basis for anything other than foolish talk. Post a picture of what you call your short net. Frank's short window net is 1/2 the length of the side window opening excluding the A pillar window.

Not to drag the Peoples Choice into this but I'll ask him anyway and he may respond if he choses. I'm asking this question after viewing your August 17 Daytona crash. With your halo seat, while strapped in the car without a window net for the front half of the window opening could you stick your left hand/for arm out the unnetted front half of the window? I believe I know the answer from watching the crash video.  

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

The ref might instruct you and Dave to go to a neutral corner soon :).

If I read this correctly are you saying Steve that half a window net is better than a half-assed window net?

"Cripes"  I love that word.  Many in my family have used that over the years.  Cracks me up. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Agree with your post Steve, I have never found my arm out the window when i was not wanting to put my arm out the window, but i have had crashes and near crashes that in part were do to poor visibility.  Its like seat belts they are a good thing in general unless your car is submerged in water, you have to figure out what is best for you under the conditions. I have a halo seat, i have a long torso, i am way back in the driver compartment the net and the seat protect me, but never mind common sense.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users