Photo

Replacing front frail lower rail pieces. What all do I need....

- - - - - Repair Frame rail front end damage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

TheJohnnyFoley

TheJohnnyFoley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:28

Hey all,

I have a 99 spec miata.

Here is my dilemma I bought this car about 2 years ago got a good season out of here then Tore her down and didn't have much time due to work to get all this put back together. Even worse didn't have the money to pay someone to repair it. 

ISSUES: Front frame rail is rusted in front of the sub frame mounts, It was a salvage title from water damage btw.

This is the start of finding the rust. I was planning on replacing all the parts but wasn't sure how bad it was. So i kept searching. This was all the rust found and cut out. The Other side was almost the exact same...... UGGGGGHHHHH

Attached File  IMG_0070 (1).JPG   97.55KB   2 downloads

So was on to the hopeful fix in the DIY realm. I found sheet metal that was the same thickness as the OEM spec and bent a inner and outer skin and welded them into place. Only to find that the remaining OEM material is just so contaminated that all it does is blow holes in it. So here is my tack in.....

Attached File  IMG_0145 (1).JPG   116.11KB   2 downloads

Now the Real question is I know it looks bad and its not safe but figured i would give it a shot. I have failed so I am here at this point now. 

What are all the parts that I need to replace the inner and outer pieces of the lower frame rail now. ( the upper appron is in perfect shape btw)

This is the parts list that I have put together. I already have the stabilizer brackets On order.

Driver
Part # : NC10-54-310 FRAME(L),SIDE-INNER
Part # : NC10-54-35XA REINF.(L),FRAME-FRT SIDE
Part # : NC10-54-320 FRAME(L),SIDE-FRONT

Passenger
Part # : NC10-53-310 FRAME®,SIDE-INNER
Part # : NC10-53-35XA REINF.®,FRAME-FRT SIDE
Part # : NC10-53-320B FRAME®,SIDE-FRONT

Can anyone tell me if I am missing anything. Id love to get some advice on how to do it or what it cost to get it done. Thank you ahead of time!

TheJohnnyFoley

TheJohnnyFoley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Images are upside down not sure how to fix that sorry!

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
What year is the car?

Is this a racecar, trackday, or street car?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TheJohnnyFoley

TheJohnnyFoley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

What year is the car?

Is this a racecar, trackday, or street car?

it is a 1999. It is a spec miata.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Re-Tub it.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

This is very common on northern cars. The multiple layers of steel make great hiding places for water and then rust. Since it is in front of the subframe mounts, it is really not that important. All this section does is hold the bumper/radiator etc in position. Last time I checked the individual pieces where not available, but the entire frame rail was.

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:98

If you are in Florida, you should be able to find a good, rust free, used front clip.

just cut off what you need.

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

If you replace the frame rail section be sure to do 45 degree cuts to increase load distribution. You should try to avoid a vertical cut.

If it were me I would rather find a new tub as rewelding the cage in will probably be easier than welding the frame rail. Those multi layered spot welded pieces suck to work on.

• lillyweld likes this

http://jenkinsracing.com

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

You are there now..

If it were me and I made the mistake to start with a donor like this I would fix at this point.

I would personally plate it on both sides... I would insert a piece inside the rail and weld it in place. Then section in a non rusted piece from another car in the yard.

But as Dave said, it is in front of the subframes, so it is really holding sheet metal in place. If done as I said and welded correctly it will be plenty strong for impact. The cars are designed to crumple, that will be stronger than it was originally designed.

BTW, check lower quarter panels and rocker, right in front of rear wheel

Jim 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

TheJohnnyFoley

TheJohnnyFoley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If you replace the frame rail section be sure to do 45 degree cuts to increase load distribution. You should try to avoid a vertical cut.

If it were me I would rather find a new tub as rewelding the cage in will probably be easier than welding the frame rail. Those multi layered spot welded pieces suck to work on.

Unfortunately I messed up the opportunity to do that as There was a lot more rust than expected. How ever I do have a parts car that I could cut up if needed but wanted to get fresh stuff if possible.... But it is a parts car so...... Let the inner debate begin.

You are there now..

If it were me and I made the mistake to start with a donor like this I would fix at this point.

I would personally plate it on both sides... I would insert a piece inside the rail and weld it in place. Then section in a non rusted piece from another car in the yard.

But as Dave said, it is in front of the subframes, so it is really holding sheet metal in place. If done as I said and welded correctly it will be plenty strong for impact. The cars are designed to crumple, that will be stronger than it was originally designed.

BTW, check lower quarter panels and rocker, right in front of rear wheel

Jim 

Jim, are you talking about welding a plate parallel to the inner frame that is left essentially closing it off and then weld in a 1"(just a random size) diameter tube between them? Then replace the outer skin of what is needed. 

Thanks for the responses. I wish I had the money to get a new shell and start over buy hey when you don't have the funds you don't have the funds! I just wanna race!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Unfortunately I messed up the opportunity to do that as There was a lot more rust than expected. How ever I do have a parts car that I could cut up if needed but wanted to get fresh stuff if possible.... But it is a parts car so...... Let the inner debate begin.

Jim, are you talking about welding a plate parallel to the inner frame that is left essentially closing it off and then weld in a 1"(just a random size) diameter tube between them? Then replace the outer skin of what is needed. 

Thanks for the responses. I wish I had the money to get a new shell and start over buy hey when you don't have the funds you don't have the funds! I just wanna race!

I'm not understanding.. 

basically put a layer of metal inside the rail and weld it up..  Then weld the plate you did or a piece from a parts car fluch or overlap what you cut out

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Repair, Frame rail, front end, damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users