This year ends the Hoosier contract with SCCA as the Spec Tire. Since being involved with NASA, I have seen more and more SCCA regular competitors come over and race with NASA and run on the Toyo RR tire. I have had conversations with many of the drivers from the very front of the field, to mid pack all the way to back packers. Those that have raced the Hoosier SM7 and the Toyo RR virtually all have the same feedback.
· The Toyo RR has 3-4 times more raceable cyles than the Hoosier.
· There is no need to sticker up with Toyo RR’s
· You must sticker up with Hoosiers if you want to be competitive
· At most Super tour races the Front runners are going through two to three sets of tires
· At most events NASA front runners ( even the SCCA crossovers) use one set or less
· The Toyo Rain tire can be used for seasons
· The Hoosier H20 is a one session tire
· Ultimate lap time of the tires are within tenths, however the RR does not fall off like the Hoosier does after 5-7 laps
· The Toyo RR can be stored for months with no issues. If a 1-2 session Hoosier sits a month, it is useless as a race tire
· Tire Budget with Toyo RR will be 1/3 of what is being spent on Hoosiers
Rumors are that SCCA is going to just extend this contract another year while they decide what is best, possibly due to Hoosier sponsoring the Super tour. SM drivers are paying for that sponsorship with all the tires SM drivers are buying. This would be an informational poll to just see how drivers feel about this kind of change. From what I know, SCCA is a club where if the majority of the membership wants a different tire, they would honor that. Please comment here and perhaps we as a united SM front can get together and move this along a direction the majority agree on.
The poll function only allowed two questions, But some of the other questions were:
1)If you run Both NASA and SCCA, how much would your tire budget decrease by switching to RR as the spec tire?
No less or possible increase
More than 50%
2) Do you race NASA, if so how many sets of RR do you typically use a weekend?
Less than one
Three or more
Please comment on with any of your experience with either tire.