Photo

Spec Miata tires

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

Poll: Spec tires (104 member(s) have cast votes)

If racing in SCCA Majors or Super Tour Series, How many new sets of SM& tires are you buying per weekend

1. not racing in those series (34 votes [32.69%])

Percentage of vote: 32.69%

2. less than one set (7 votes [6.73%])

Percentage of vote: 6.73%

3. 1 set (39 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

4. 2 sets (24 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

5. 3 or more sets (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

If given the choice, What tire would you chose as the Spec Tire in SM?

1. Hoosier SM7 (23 votes [22.12%])

Percentage of vote: 22.12%

2. Toyo RR (72 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

3. Other (9 votes [8.65%])

Percentage of vote: 8.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Xav

Xav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:9

This year ends the Hoosier contract with SCCA as the Spec Tire.  Since being involved with NASA, I have seen more and more SCCA regular competitors come over and race with NASA and run on the Toyo RR tire.  I have had conversations with many of the drivers from the very front of the field, to mid pack all the way to back packers.  Those that have raced the Hoosier SM7 and the Toyo RR virtually all have the same feedback. 

·        The Toyo RR has 3-4 times more raceable cyles than the Hoosier.

·       There is no need to sticker up with Toyo RR’s

·       You must sticker up with Hoosiers if you want to be competitive

·       At most Super tour races the Front runners are going through two to three sets of tires

·       At most events NASA front runners ( even the SCCA crossovers) use one set or less

·       The Toyo Rain tire can be used for seasons

·       The Hoosier H20 is a one session tire

·       Ultimate lap time of the tires are within tenths, however the RR does not fall off like the Hoosier does after 5-7 laps

·       The Toyo RR can be stored for months with no issues. If a 1-2 session Hoosier sits a month, it is useless as a race tire

·       Tire Budget with Toyo RR will be 1/3 of what is being spent on Hoosiers

Rumors are that SCCA is going to just extend this contract another year while they decide what is best, possibly due to Hoosier sponsoring the Super tour.  SM drivers are paying for that sponsorship with all the tires SM drivers are buying. This would be an informational poll to just see how drivers feel about this kind of change. From what I know, SCCA is a club where if the majority of the membership wants a different tire, they would honor that. Please comment here and perhaps we as a united SM front can get together and move this along a direction the majority agree on.

The poll function only allowed two questions,  But some of the other questions were:

1)If you run Both NASA and SCCA, how much would your tire budget decrease by switching to RR as the spec tire?

No less or possible increase

10-25%

26-50%

More than 50%

2) Do you race NASA, if so how many sets of RR do you typically use a weekend?

Na

Less than one

Two

Three or more

Please comment on with any of your experience with either tire.

#9 SM

NASA National SM Director

NASA Mid-Atlantic Race Director

http://www.injectorpulse.com

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

I would also like to add that I don't want to have to shave tires.

I don't mind the SM7, but I only race at the regional level where it isn't quite as critical to have new rubber. I do not like the H20 at all and rain is often likely in my region. I couldn't believe how much the H20 was wearing after a single wet session at Black Hawk.

One nice thing for me is that there is a Hoosier dealer 30 minutes from my house.

In the end I think we have to go whatever is the lowest cost, which is probably the Toyo. Contingency looks to be the same as well.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

First off...comparing H2O Hoosier to a RA1 is like apples to oranges. There is NO comparison! 

Given the cost of all other Hoosier tires...I always wondered if there is even any profit in the SM7's? No doubt they have done a great job in their fixed prices for SM. And for sure the SM7 is a better tire than the the SM6 was for life expectancy(A change they steeped up and made) 

As someone who occasionally provides cars at the track for both organizations, there is no doubt which tire I can keep around longer and trust they have consistent grip for the driver. 

Ironically many SCCA regions have either open tire or as in the case with SFR SCCA have Toyo RR/RA1 as their Spec Miata tire. This was done at the request of the membership over 3 years ago locally. 

No doubt NASA(which I'm a part off)works with Toyo very closely. There are 4 spec series(at least)that have the RR as its competition tire which frankly...works! Is it the fastest tire? No! When you go outside the spec series classes in NASA to all other classes with open tires...guess what you see(wink wink)...Hoosiers! Because they tend to be the most competitive!

Not sure if this is a question that will come down to a majority vote? More than likely it will be decided by those who actually participate in the Major/Super Tour races and the leadership that look beyond SM.

Will this be value, choice, marketing or other decision for SCCA?

BTW...isn't Hoosier Continental now?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

ok, I have to know, who is buying 3 or more sets for a super tour weekend?  The only person I can think of is Danny and based on how he goes about his business this seems like a completely rational thing.  Anyone else, not so much. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

ok, I have to know, who is buying 3 or more sets for a super tour weekend?  The only person I can think of is Danny and based on how he goes about his business this seems like a completely rational thing.  Anyone else, not so much. 

I haven't voted yet, But I have and will continue to use three sets at the bigger races.. Bought three sets for Sprints and Cota last year. Bought three sets for Cota this year but didn't need bc of rain and short sessions, but bought them. I will have three sets for the Sprints. Every other super tour, I buy two. Runoffs was five :(  

So my I will vote 2, but it has been three or more three times a year

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

I haven't voted yet, But I have and will continue to use three sets at the bigger races.. Bought three sets for Sprints and Cota last year. Bought three sets for Cota this year but didn't need bc of rain and short sessions, but bought them. I will have three sets for the Sprints. Every other super tour, I buy two. Runoffs was five :(  

So my I will vote 2, but it has been three or more three times a year

How many sets of Toyos did you use last year at the East States Champs? 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

How many sets of Toyos did you use last year at the East States Champs? 

I borrowed one set from Chris with 5 sessions... used for 2 sessions in practice

I bought three sets, original only planned on buying two but heard many were shaving, so I ordered a set of shaves as well.

I left there with:

a scuffed set of shaves

one set of two sessions

a set of three sessions. ( I used the set of three sessions to run all the qualifying races I needed at Memphis a few weeks ago and they will be my practice day tires at Cota.)  

I am buying one set for COTA NASA to test stickers as that is what we will be racing on in the big race. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Its a tough decision about which tire to pick and the cost of running competitive is also track dependent.  For example, my home track Mid Ohio likes old tires so asking me about stickers? I don't run stickers to be fast. I have ran the fastest laps on flat spotted 12 session Hoosier tires. Toyo's are even more extreme, they need to be old bald tires no lines.

So running the RR at my track means they HAVE to be shaved to be fast. It is also real easy to ruin an RR at mid o if you push it to hard when they are to fresh they will grain and then they are slow as shit. So the bottom line on cost is that the RR will get more fast laps at my track but it is costly and time consuming to get them there, you have to race them half the year after shaving to get them fast. So Hoosiers are much faster and much eaiser to work with and no real cost advantage or disadvantage either way.

Moving on to the Rain Tire. The last toyo rain i ran was the full tread RA-1, If that is still the rain tire, they are durable but horrible at the same time. I do not like either tire for rains.

As far as what tire I prefer, Well to me selecting a tire is more complicated than what tire gets more heat cycles. We have come to count of the Hoosier company for sponsorship and support, so if having someone show up at the track and provide tire support, or having a good contingency is important to you  then there is only one choice and that is Hoosier. Have you ever seen a toyo truck at the track?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

can anyone on SMAC inform us of what they are asking for, if anything, from hoosier? what discussions, again, if any, have been had with hooiser? or are discussions/decisions about that made at a higher level than the SMAC? 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

In general, the toyo imo has more usalble cycles, but if its cold or a little wet an old used toyo is going to be slower then a sticker just like it is with hoosiers.  

Like Frank I love to contingencies of Hoosier over toyo, toyo to me is a PITA on line where I can just fax my form in to Hoosier a couple days later my tires show up.

Track support there is no comparison, Hoosier wins this one by 1,000 miles1

Everyone thinks Toyo is so much cheaper and right now it probably is because most of the very fast guys who will shave tires to multiple deapths and have a different tire for each track like we used to do with RA1 are presently doing most of their racing in the SCCA!  Just wait till you get out tired every singles weekend by those willing to test and do their homework with shaved tires etc.  then to be competitve it will be even more expensive.

If we change to the toyo rain, I likely will just stop racing inthe rain all together, I already feel the risk vs rewards are on the negative side on the stickiest tire.  I dont mind a harder rain tire in general but the RA1 is designed for the dry not the wet!

I feel like Xav painted toyo in very broad strokes to be the best tire choice in his post, being a NASA guy I could see why.  But generalities on the tires are not neccessarily the real story!

I am sure eventually this will lead us to a tire limit rule discussion, when we have a hard time checking weights and plates in the tech shed in general!  maybe it can work at a super tour but nowhere else imo.

I will be racing a track with the hoosiers this weekend that I just raced on toyo last weekend with no setup changes to the car, maybe i will feel differently afterwards not really sure. If i can remember I will try to post back the findings after compairing my data as well as feel. 

• High Chair likes this

K. Webb