Photo

Spec Miata tires

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

Poll: Spec tires (104 member(s) have cast votes)

If racing in SCCA Majors or Super Tour Series, How many new sets of SM& tires are you buying per weekend

1. not racing in those series (34 votes [32.69%])

Percentage of vote: 32.69%

2. less than one set (7 votes [6.73%])

Percentage of vote: 6.73%

3. 1 set (39 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

4. 2 sets (24 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

5. 3 or more sets (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

If given the choice, What tire would you chose as the Spec Tire in SM?

1. Hoosier SM7 (23 votes [22.12%])

Percentage of vote: 22.12%

2. Toyo RR (72 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

3. Other (9 votes [8.65%])

Percentage of vote: 8.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Just curious too. How long is the current contract on the Super Tour ??
And would there be a Toyo Super Tour ??

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

So here is something for all to consider...it is my understanding that SCCA gets a cut of every SM7(and maybe others) sold...this was part of the negotiated package. If true and Hoosier has literally offered the best kick back to SCCA...will membership have any real say? And BTW...nothing bad to say about Hoosier...business is business. I do not know the corporate structure of Hoosier/Continental...but would it be fair to say American made? 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

I'm curious about the statements about lack of trackside support for Toyo "in the east".   Here in the southeast, Appalachian Tire is at every SCCA event I've ever attended.  Sure, their trailer is painted with Hoosier branding, but they sell Toyo too. I ran Toyos on my IT car and never had any problems getting tires (even pre-shaved) at the track.

• Alberto likes this

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

I voted "other" for tire choice.  Other might include a Hoosier dry and rain tire with longer competitive life.  As others have said, Hoosier's support since going to that tire has been top notch.  They're often at the track providing service and very easy to work with away from the track when ordering tires, filling contingencies or answering questions.  They've earned the right to continue supplying SCCA SM racers IMO but I feel that a revision to the tire is an absolute must and as soon as possible.  We have to bring competitive tire costs down.  I for one have entered fewer races over the past couple years in part because of the tire cost for a "big" race. 

NASA folks are probably very happy with Toyo and rightfully so.  Toyo except for possibly the 888 era has provided a lot of tire stability to SM racers. 

this is why i posted what i posted, about what, if anything we have asked for from hoosier. 

My thoughts are if hoosier agreed to make an SM8 for us, with more life, we could all be happy. toyos compound isn't magic, its nearly 10 years old at this point. hoosier can make a competitor with more life. maybe not 20 or whatever heat cycles, but i'd settle for 10 or 12. i like the hoosier h20, but yes, i do like feeling like a hero in the rain and am willing to pay a bit for it. 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Let's just switch to Open DOT 200 tread wear tire.  They work GREAT on the le chump cars and last forever. Then we could have some fun tire manufacturer battles :)

• Joe (dad) Jordan, Muda, Jim Drago and 4 others like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I'm curious about the statements about lack of trackside support for Toyo "in the east".   Here in the southeast, Appalachian Tire is at every SCCA event I've ever attended.  Sure, their trailer is painted with Hoosier branding, but they sell Toyo too. I ran Toyos on my IT car and never had any problems getting tires (even pre-shaved) at the track.

This.

I do not know the corporate structure of Hoosier/Continental...but would it be fair to say American made? 

Yaa, das Continental ist der Deutschland tire. Vich Axis tire do ve prefer?

whaling on the buckeye

???

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Haha...again, claimed no knowledge! Is /was Hoosier?

Ron

RAmotorsports

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Number:40

I agree with most of these bullet points by Xavier. I'll be selfish, I just want SM on the same tire so i don't have to manage 9 sets of wheels.

Track-side support varies by event / region, but in general Hoosier's track services are more common.  (Although I prefer to arrive at the track not needing their services$.)

Contingency, Hoosier pays 12 tires for Super Tour ~$2200, 4 tires for majors ~$730.  NASA 19+ starters pays $1025

This year ends the Hoosier contract with SCCA as the Spec Tire.  Since being involved with NASA, I have seen more and more SCCA regular competitors come over and race with NASA and run on the Toyo RR tire.  I have had conversations with many of the drivers from the very front of the field, to mid pack all the way to back packers.  Those that have raced the Hoosier SM7 and the Toyo RR virtually all have the same feedback. 

·        The Toyo RR has 3-4 times more raceable cyles than the Hoosier.

·       There is no need to sticker up with Toyo RR’s

·       You must sticker up with Hoosiers if you want to be competitive

·       At most Super tour races the Front runners are going through two to three sets of tires

·       At most events NASA front runners ( even the SCCA crossovers) use one set or less

·       The Toyo Rain tire can be used for seasons

·       The Hoosier H20 is a one session tire

·       Ultimate lap time of the tires are within tenths, however the RR does not fall off like the Hoosier does after 5-7 laps

·       The Toyo RR can be stored for months with no issues. If a 1-2 session Hoosier sits a month, it is useless as a race tire

·       Tire Budget with Toyo RR will be 1/3 of what is being spent on Hoosiers

Toby Linder

powered by X-Factor Racing

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Contingency, Hoosier pays 12 tires for Super Tour ~$2200, 4 tires for majors ~$730.  NASA 19+ starters pays $1025

To be a little more accurate...NASA/Toyo payout is for all regionals...no idea how many that is a year! Besides the big races, I do believe Hoosier pays 2 tires for 1st and 1 for 2nd at regionals? 

I would like to see both vendors offer something to all those who finish outside contingency...maybe random drawing? 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Nick Soriano

Nick Soriano

Kenny MF Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:30

I love John's idea. Probably because I have been preaching it myself for a while now. The 200tw tires are incredible. They never fall off. They wear like iron. They don't require a crazy set up to make them stick. 

If we are committed to a race tire, the SM7 has to go. It will be the end of the SM class for the little guys. I have no problem keeping a hoosier around but lets tell them what we want for the SM8.  

After overhearing the cuban missle talk to the hoosier guys at Indy he had some really smart points. 

1. The tire wears too fast. Already known. They fall off too much. In session and after multiple heat cycles. Not saying it shouldn't fall off just slower. Give us 3-4 more competitive HCs. Make new rubber worth something but not everything. 

2. It's too much tire. We are tearing these cars up with that much grip. It's unnecessary. It's a spec class. Who cares if it handles perfect or not. As long as we all drive the same thing it doesn't matter if its too little grip. We all have to deal with the same thing. 

3. They require too much set up to get the most out of them. We already allowed the offset bushings upfront.... and then we actually thought about slotting the rears.... Come on. We were built off a showroom stock class. How far away from that are we trying to go. Ask for more or less sidewall (idk enough about tires to tell you which likes more camber.) so that we can get great handling cars without having to push the limits of adjust-ability on these cars. 

Have them build us a tire we want to race. We're still gonna buy them. Lets just be happy about sending them so much business. It doesn't make sense to sign a contract with a company that thinks were happy as can be when we all sit around and bitch behind closed doors. The SMAC should be able to tell hoosier what the community wants and hoosier should be able to build us a tire that we will enjoy for years. 

• Bench Racer, Danny Steyn, Tom Sager and 5 others like this

#30 2001 Spec Miata

Autotechnik/ 5X Racing/ GlowShift Gauges

#ItCouldBeYou

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

loudes13

loudes13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The tires are different. Construction is different. Dimensions are different. The Hoosier is much wider, lighter, and faster.

What setup differences are there?

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Let's just switch to Open DOT 200 tread wear tire.  They work GREAT on the le chump cars and last forever. Then we could have some fun tire manufacturer battles :)

don't you like getting the contingency? OR at least the chance at one. I think Hoosier has been a fantastic supporter of our class. They have my loyalty at this point.

Why is the SMAC silent on this, what is up guys?

As nick said above, we should be working with Hoosier to fine tune the tire, if they are willing. This has been discussed, not sure if there was any headway. If not then the discussion should be sign a one year renewal at this point with a year to develop the next gen tires. If nothing comes then shop the replacement.

IMO Hoosier should get first shot.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Whaling on the buckeye.

???

Per MPR22, Contrary to what the lawn boy posted above you won't have to have multiple sets of shaved tires to go to each track.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

don't you like getting the contingency? OR at least the chance at one. I think Hoosier has been a fantastic supporter of our class. They have my loyalty at this point.

Frankly I could care less.  In a field of 40-50 cars, how many really have a shot at any contingency money?   All this discussion of "what's best for the front runners" ignores that the vast majority of us racing in the class aren't at the pointy end.    Keep the costs low.   As Nick wrote above: it's a spec class.  We don't need the "fastest" tire.  Find or design a tire that lasts.

• William Keeling, Bench Racer, Armando Ramirez and 2 others like this

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

The tire mfg. has a right & duty to sell tires and generate a profit for their company. Otherwise, they have no incentive to produce tires for us. The SM on the side of the Hoosier means it is for Spec Miata. Kind-of special, huh  :)  If they produce a tire that last forever, then don't expect them at the track. Or expect them to charge an arm & leg for tire this tire that "lasts," of which they sell far fewer of. I know many of you are saying "we don't care about lap times, we're all on the the same tire." But the fact is Hoosier is in competition with other manufacturers, if they produce a longer lasting tire, but it is slower than a competitors; you know, as racers we will want the faster tire.  I love Hoosiers' support at the track and they have been good to us as a series. What we need is for them to produce a tire that maintains a consistent high grip level at least a few sessions longer, perhaps doubles it's race-able life, which is not long. This would greatly help us smaller budgeted drivers to continue participating or to participate in more events; and not likely have a significant impact Hoosier's bottom line. If you have more drivers they can sell more tires. The Wet tire, well.., that needs to greatly increase it's life, I will not flip the $-bills for a one session tire, I'll just sit out the race. That's a loss to Hoosier, the SCCA and myself. 

I like the idea above, about a drawing for a tire or 2 for a racer[s] outside the contingency. Perhaps, limit the drawing to races with over a certain number of entries > 30+  :noidea: . Would create a little fun & excitement after the race, as well as help someone out.

• Armando Ramirez likes this

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Wild idea. With the recent popularity of random tech inspections, If you are randomly picked, you get a free tire for your inconvenience. Note that random picks are SUPPOSED to be decided based on finishing position, with that position determined before arriving at the track.

Dave

• Jim Drago, Tom Sager, screaming monkey and 1 other like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Whaling? Like with a harpoon? Capt. Ahab style?

Green Peace ain't gonna like that.
  • Jim Drago likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Whaling, wailing, whatever. :noidea:  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

. I know many of you are saying "we don't care about lap times, we're all on the the same tire." But the fact is Hoosier is in competition with other manufacturers, if they produce a longer lasting tire, but it is slower than a competitors; you know, as racers we will want the faster tire.

I disagree with that. Often I don't even know the second my lap time was, just base it in tenths compared to the others. I really would not mind being 1-2 seconds a lap slower with a tire that would not require me to put on stickers for every session that mattered
Jim
  • Joe (dad) Jordan, steveracer, Tom Sager and 3 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Todd Lamb

Todd Lamb

Driver Coach // Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

5 months ago, for those who missed it:  http://mazdaracers.c...ng-2019-update/

The wheels have been in motion for quite some time, and they don't have Toyo's mounted on them. 

• Tom Sager and tylerbrown like this

Full disclosure: SMAC chairman, my opinions do not reflect anything to do with the SMAC unless specifically stated.

Todd Lamb
Atlanta Speedwerks
www.atlspeedwerks.com
SpeedShift Transmissions - reliability and performance

Spec Miata / Spec Boxster / Spec Cayman specialist

Spec MX-5 Challenge Series Director

Global MX-5 Cup team

MX5 Cup Champion - Has won a Season in the MX5 Cup Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Majors Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)