Photo

Spec Miata tires

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

Poll: Spec tires (104 member(s) have cast votes)

If racing in SCCA Majors or Super Tour Series, How many new sets of SM& tires are you buying per weekend

1. not racing in those series (34 votes [32.69%])

Percentage of vote: 32.69%

2. less than one set (7 votes [6.73%])

Percentage of vote: 6.73%

3. 1 set (39 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

4. 2 sets (24 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

5. 3 or more sets (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

If given the choice, What tire would you chose as the Spec Tire in SM?

1. Hoosier SM7 (23 votes [22.12%])

Percentage of vote: 22.12%

2. Toyo RR (72 votes [69.23%])

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

3. Other (9 votes [8.65%])

Percentage of vote: 8.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

unfortunately that is absolutely meaningless in Sm.

Oh yeah? well .... You're absolutely meaningless in SM (in 2018) :P :D

• Muda, Jim Drago and gerglmuff2 like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Samuel J

Samuel J

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:15

Oh yeah? well .... You're absolutely meaningless in SM (in 2018)  :P :D

So just to derail this thread a little further, what tire is it then? BFG Rivals, RS4 or Starspecs? Give me your secrets gypsy.

• William Keeling, Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

^Sadly Tom, i'm pretty sure those days are gone.

Yeah. I know. Just pointing out that I am voting with my wallet. I'm sure I'm not alone. Both orgs are losing money to sm crossover....maybe only in sm, so maybe it doesn't matter.

I don't expect the scca to care...Todd's response seems in line with that belief. This thread, started by xav, seems to indicate that maybe nasa does..

Anyway, I started in nasa, so that's where I will stay until they screw up their product enough to make me change.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

The SM7 is a 'treadless' DOT rated tire. Much different than a true Hoosier racing slick.

Multiple people have now pointed this out. I know it's a DOT radial... it wasn't meant to be taken literally, but maybe we can make shaved Blizzaks the new spec tire.

http://jenkinsracing.com

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Yeah. I know. Just pointing out that I am voting with my wallet. I'm sure I'm not alone. Both orgs are losing money to sm crossover....maybe only in sm, so maybe it doesn't matter.

I don't expect the scca to care...Todd's response seems in line with that belief. This thread, started by xav, seems to indicate that maybe nasa does..

Anyway, I started in nasa, so that's where I will stay until they screw up their product enough to make me change.

Just my Opinion Tom but if your waiting for both groups to get back to using the same tire, its a slim chance, imo. I think that both groups value the relationship they have with the tire vendors. NASA likes the relationship with Toyo. SCCA values the service that Hoosier provides.

Before we went to a spec tire in our region, under the open tires rules we use to run the BFG G Force Tire. It was fast and you got lots of HC out of it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Frank. As I said in the quoted, I do understand that. I'm not waiting per se. I'm just not going to buy enough wheels and tires to run both groups. I'll just sit out when the local nasa race doesn't fit my life schedule instead of looking to see what the scca might be doing.

The issue with the h2o make the choice even easier. It's rains often enough...I can switch to my ra1s without worrying about burning off a set. I need the practice and enjoy driving in the rain, but not at the expense of a set of rains.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I have nothing against Hoosier/Conti but I’ve never understood all the fawning over them or the talk of “support”. Their business is (was) race tires. It wasn’t sideline or a marketing ploy, it’s all they did. They had retailers at most races before SM and when we were all on Toyos, and they’ll still be there if we change again. It’s what they do. They negotiate a deal which they fully expect will be more profitable than not making the deal, like any company. Beyond selling tires and charging $25 each for M&B, remind me again what support you are getting?? I don’t know what they would tell you today, but as recently as a few years ago when asked for advice on tire pressures the answer was higher than anyone runs. No offense, but what exactly is that worth? So-called contingencies in a spec class are, and always have been, a tax on the poor to subsidize the rich. Real contingency programs are to get your business in a competitive market. Here they are part of the contract and cost Hoosier NOTHING. That hardly qualifies as “support” or “service”. I don’t know what if anything the club gets from the deal but it absolutely should be public knowledge.

What exactly is all this other support I’ve been hearing about for years?
  • Ron Alan, mhiggins10, Andy Mitchell and 2 others like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Miamirice

Miamirice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:46

I race in nasa. I would like to cross over. Mostly to allow more scheduling choices. But, I'm not going to do that until the orgs are on the same tire. I'm not doubling down on tires and wheels simply for scheduling convenience.

X2

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
So no disrespect and I’ll probably say it wrong, but how do you feel SCCA appears to made the Hoosier deal that was best for the club with the kick back and not necessarily best for the class. Those who like the tire and can afford it and amount of hc’s you get, I’d assume doesn’t have an issue. But what about everyone else??

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I have nothing against Hoosier/Conti but I’ve never understood all the fawning over them or the talk of “support”. Their business is (was) race tires. It wasn’t sideline or a marketing ploy, it’s all they did. They had retailers at most races before SM and when we were all on Toyos, and they’ll still be there if we change again. It’s what they do. They negotiate a deal which they fully expect will be more profitable than not making the deal, like any company. Beyond selling tires and charging $25 each for M&B, remind me again what support you are getting?? I don’t know what they would tell you today, but as recently as a few years ago when asked for advice on tire pressures the answer was higher than anyone runs. No offense, but what exactly is that worth? So-called contingencies in a spec class are, and always have been, a tax on the poor to subsidize the rich. Real contingency programs are to get your business in a competitive market. Here they are part of the contract and cost Hoosier NOTHING. That hardly qualifies as “support” or “service”. I don’t know what if anything the club gets from the deal but it absolutely should be public knowledge.

The Hoosier guys have always been there if you need them. I used to also help with organization of PCA events, they would put on Tire talk meetings and help you with Set up of their tire, adjust tire problems. Having someone at the track is helpful when needed.

I also like their system of getting paid on the contingency, its easier than the Toyo system with NASA where you get a coupon that you have to go find a vendor who will honor it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Calling vendors "Hoosier guys" is a little misleading. For the most part it's independent vendors that service events and they sell multiple brands.
  • Muda likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

So no disrespect and I’ll probably say it wrong, but how do you feel SCCA appears to made the Hoosier deal that was best for the club with the kick back and not necessarily best for the class. Those who like the tire and can afford it and amount of hc’s you get, I’d assume doesn’t have an issue. But what about everyone else??

J~

I really can't see anyone who would say they are happy running Hoosiers for 2-3 sessions and buying two plus sets of stickers a weekend, I certainly don't enjoy adding an additional $1000 or more per weekend on tires, certainly not if I don't need to.  I appreciate all that Hoosier has helped me over the years, but we need to address this issue and get more usable cycles or we need to switch tires. What we have right now is not working well for the class. IMO, if Toyo came up with a similar program to the Super tour program in SCCA where it had bigger races or a championship where it pulled in the top drivers... I think SM in SCCA could be in trouble within a few years and Toyo does not seem to be taking this lightly and apparently are not afraid to through some money at our class.

Jim

• Ron Alan, Andy L, mellen and 4 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

So just to derail this thread a little further, what tire is it then? BFG Rivals, RS4 or Starspecs? Give me your secrets gypsy.

Haha my bad, bb. 

We used the BFG Rivals for both Sebring and Daytona on one set and didn't change, and they were perfectly fine. We then tried the Rival S, which is softer, and the left side tires had nothing left after 6 hours at Sebring .. so I would stay away from the Rival S. 

Since the Rivals are pretty bad in the rain, we recently decided to change to the RS4 which we won Sebring with in September, used them again New Years at Sebring but the motor blew up in 45 min, so I have no answer for if it can last two races at Sebring . But, we will be at Daytona with the same set in a couple of weeks, and I will let you know how they do. They still had plenty of life left after 14 hours at Sebring.

We have yet to try the Direzzas, but I believe that is what Buras and Pardus' teams are running. Not sure if they are getting two races out of theirs, but maybe Preston can comment if he knows (since I see him reading this right now).  :)

• Muda likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Well said as usual Steve! And in different words Jim is right there! 

We might be just a little early in this discussion but I sincerely hope the SMAC and Hoosier have been in meaningful development talks!

I'm sure Hoosier is aware we(SCCA members) have an extremely reasonable and well developed option In the Toyo RR. There are already regions that have gone away from the national tire at membership request and run Toyo...and are very happy! Only downside at the moment is Toyo isn't showing the love to SCCA in the way of Contingency for these regions that I'm aware of.

As pointed out, Hoosier's model has always been racing. If they dont show up at the track they dont sell tires. Its not like you can walk into a Hoosier store in every town to pick-up your tires! Most have a tire vendor they can order and pick up TOYO tires within 15 minutes of there home! I think Hoosier has its work cut out...the option is proven and a rule change away from becoming reality! 

Ron

RAmotorsports

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

If they dont show up at the track they dont sell tires.

Never bought a Hoosier, or a Toyo, at the track. I place orders online and have them shipped to my house. Use local guy to mount balance.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

tylerbrown

tylerbrown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:07

Haha my bad, bb. 

We used the BFG Rivals for both Sebring and Daytona on one set and didn't change, and they were perfectly fine. We then tried the Rival S, which is softer, and the left side tires had nothing left after 6 hours at Sebring .. so I would stay away from the Rival S. 

Since the Rivals are pretty bad in the rain, we recently decided to change to the RS4 which we won Sebring with in September, used them again New Years at Sebring but the motor blew up in 45 min, so I have no answer for if it can last two races at Sebring . But, we will be at Daytona with the same set in a couple of weeks, and I will let you know how they do. They still had plenty of life left after 14 hours at Sebring.

We have yet to try the Direzzas, but I believe that is what Buras and Pardus' teams are running. Not sure if they are getting two races out of theirs, but maybe Preston can comment if he knows (since I see him reading this right now).  :)

We have used the Dunlop Direzza ZII for the Champcar Double 8 Hour Enduro at Road America and the tire held up fine for all 16 hours, and after it still looks good and we will most likely use it again at the next one. 

It did run 8 hours in the rain, but the grip in the wet was incredible. Out of 70 cars we were the fourth fastest on track with the little 1.6 Miata. Nothing makes you feel like a hero more than passing four cars around the rim of the Carousel at RA at once, and about 10-15 cars a lap :hugegrin:

• Muda, Danny Steyn and Danica Davison like this

Tyler Brown

Sneaky Moose Motorsports - Owner

2023 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2023 June Sprints - 1st Place

2022 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2020 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2019 June Sprints - 1st Place

Design Engineer - Milwaukee Electric Tool

Facebook: https://www.facebook...oseMotorsports/

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube....le_polymer=true

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

https://www.crbscca.com/

J~

• Brandon likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67

Never bought a Hoosier, or a Toyo, at the track. I place orders online and have them shipped to my house. Use local guy to mount balance.

Where do you get SM7s online?

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

https://philstireser...op/hoosier-sm7/

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11

Phil's Tire Service

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver