• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Jake Bailey

Jake Bailey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:Georgia
If anyone is interested/ needing a set of shocks I have a complete set of Bilstein SM shocks with springs. One of the shocks is brand new, never been raced on. Please send a DM if interested!! Thanks
NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I have a full set of 4, never installed. Not looking to gouge, whatever the recent cheap web prices were plus shipping.
  • William Keeling, Jim Drago and Danica Davison like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58
Does anyone have the Bilstein part number for the Front shock? All I keep coming up with when I search is the Mazdaspeed #. I’ve had to replace my bumpstops, since my kit came with the noncompliant ones. Top nut didn’t want to come off one shock and shaft got slightly scored whan ir spun a little.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

B46-1488
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
Thanks Steve. Now to see if Bilstein thinks it’s something to be concerned about or not.

Chris

- George Burns

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
The shaft? Assuming the damage far enough down that it will go beyond the top seal when compressed, which it probably is if below the bump stop, then you certainly don’t want any burrs above the normal surface. But unless it’s really bad I would carefully dress it down and keep using it under increased scrutiny. You don’t want to degrade the polished surface where there isn’t damage so it will require some careful work but unless it is right in the main section of constant travel past the seal then I’d give it a try.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

The damage is toward the bottom of the shaft, as you can see. It is not deep or edged by any means, but you feel the slightest drag to the finger nail as it passes. The two marks go approx 3/4 the circumference the shaft. I think it's minor, but want to make sure before I reinstall. I used rubber hose to protect the shaft from the vise grips to hold the shaft, but it broke through as I kept trying to get a better grip on this one. Took 2 pair of vise grips, a blowtorch, along with the impact wrench to get the top nut of this one.  :grr:

Shock shaft scored_2
Shock shaft scored_1

Chris

- George Burns

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

in light of the situation of a shock shortage, i would put it on the Right Rear and see if it leaks, if not I would run it till you can replace it. When i am installing or taking them off i take a piece of rubber hose cut it and slip it over the shaft to hold the shaft to install the nut. 

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Frank, he stated above that this is a front shock. Unlike tires, you can not rotate the shocks ;-)

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Frank, he stated above that this is a front shock. Unlike tires, you can not rotate the shocks ;-)

Well you can.  In fact you can swap the whole spring/shock assembly front to rear.  Tried it once.  Not very good :).  There's a certain lurker around here that should get a chuckle on this. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I have had cars brought into the shop with front and rear springs mixed up. At least when you mix up both sides the car goes basicly straight. But when one side is correct and the other side is backaswards, LOOK OUT

• Danica Davison likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Notes: Mazda has been pursuing multiple solutions regarding the shortage of Spec Miata shocks. Once a definitive solution has been reached, Mazda will let our racers know via MazdaMotorsports.com and our weekly eNewsletter. We appreciate your support and patience during this process.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

whoops I missed that, No that would not work.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Preston Pardus

Preston Pardus

The Man. The Myth. The Legend.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:42
SPEC MIATA SHOCKS: REARS ARRIVED; FRONTS IN ROUTE

100 rear shocks have arrived at Mazda from Bilstein. 140 Bilstein front shocks and an additional 80 rear shocks are in route to Mazda’s distribution center located in Ontario, CA. ETA is July 9 from a distributor in Germany. And more are close behind. But due to the current limited supply, please only order what is needed of the rear shocks. You are encouraged to place your orders for fronts now to hold your place in line.

Bilstein has been the supplier for shocks in the most popular race class in the world – Spec Miata. When it announced a global supply outage due to delays in production in Germany, the Spec Miata community was forced to weather the storm for many months. It is times like these that enable the motorsport community to demonstrate its commitment, passion, and unity to the sport and to one another. Mazda is proud of so many of its racers.

“For many months, we have been in communication with Bilstein to source shocks for our racers and teams,” said David Cook, Mazda Motorsports’ business development manager. “Once Bilstein got production back running, the North American market was set to receive its supply after the European market. While we implored Bilstein to move up our market, the German HQ did not fulfill. But we hedged this effort by pursuing sources elsewhere around the globe.

“After much due diligence, we located a distributor in Germany that would be one of the first to get Bilstein shocks, if not the first, once Bilstein’s production began again. We called this distributor but had language barrier challenges as some of their representatives in key roles didn’t speak English. So, we asked Andreas Boehm from PAGID Racing, who is German and who has been a superb partner to Mazda, to help us on the phone. Andreas, John Doonan, Scott Kaluza and I all made multiple calls together to this company, and then Andreas took it from there with a couple follow-up calls. In the end, we arranged a deal with this company to airfreight us 140 front shocks and 80 rear shocks, which represented approximately double of what was on back-order as of last week and at the time. While we will be receiving more shocks than back-ordered, we expect to move all of them swiftly once we receive them. We anticipate receiving the 220 shocks (140 fronts and 80 rears) from the distributor based in Germany no later than July 9th, but they do have to go through customs and more.

“While these 220 are on the way, we got more good news this week. Bilstein’s German plant completed a first run of rear shocks for our market, and we were able to claim 100, which we had airfreighted to us, and just received them. We expect them to start shipping today from our distribution center in California.

“We are told that the front shocks, for which we have 175 on order from Bilstein directly, are schedule to be produced in Germany by July 17. This date has been pushed back before, but we are optimistic as the date is closing in.  If we need to have those airfreighted, we will. And if we need to order more, and have those airfreighted too, we will.”

More than just sourcing shocks once available, Mazda is going above and beyond in another way. All the additional costs – the higher price of the shocks from the German distributor, the airfreight, and other fees – Mazda is absorbing. Everyone will be able to purchase the front shocks from Mazda at the standard racer price of $99.75, and the rear shocks for $97.75 each, plus tax. If your order exceeds $1,000 in ground shipping, Mazda will even waive the shipping, as it has all year long. For those who have ordered, you have the opportunity to change the shipping method, if desired. Please call 800.435.2508 to speak with a Mazda Motorsports representative.

• Danica Davison and BNaumann like this
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

we should still look into a better shock. 

• FTodaro likes this

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67

we should still look into a better shock.

There are other classes for that.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

There are other classes for that.

That is not the issue, its the quality control and shocks that are consistent. We need to move to a better shock.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Thank you Mazda Motorsports for your efforts in securing a shock supply. Now to decide whether I should have Bilstein repair the damaged shock and dyno the front pair or to order a new pair from Mazda and keep the good old one as a spare. Bilstein gave a me an est. 2 wk turn around, plus add in week for shipping each way across the country.

Chris

- George Burns

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11

looks like everyone is getting the at the same time as I got my 2 rears today from another vendor

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Has anyone dyno’d the new batch? Ralph?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users