Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

What is the NASA limit, VVT?

Frank you will get a tear down so pull in with 1 to go!
  • FTodaro likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Babcock

Mike Babcock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:166

You hava a mishmash of stuff there. The one marked STD probably isn't even a Mazda part. The late “factory” crate engines that came out of Canada were assembled by someone else and used some conspicuously different parts, but I’ve never seen that stamp in an original or crate engine. One possible explanation is that it is common for aftermarket pistons to have a larger dish, or higher pin height, intended to drop compression by .5 or more. The rationale is that old engines being rebuilt often also have the head and/or block decked which raises compression, are otherwise tired and often get fed cheap fuel. Lowering compression a bit reduced the risk of harmful knock. That’s what I suspect you have run into.

Probably the case... but it still doesn't explain the variance in the spare block.  Again, that one appears to have 4 like pistons.

I'm just wondering if enough data has been gathered on this measure across other 1.6 engines to support whether or not this level of variance is normal or not.  I only have the two, so...  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users