Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Biggar-400x244.jpg

Television meteorologist David Biggar races Spec Miata, and sometimes work and hobby go hand in hand

David Biggar loves the rain. Not only because it makes his job as a meteorologist for KNBC in Los Angeles more interesting, but also because his best races and finishes in Spec Miata have come in the wet. “I’m a meteorologist at NBC4 Los Angeles and I’ve been working there for almost four years now,” says Biggar. “I used to work up in the Sacramento area at another NBC station, and a couple of years ago one of my best friends, Phillip Holifield – who’s a really great Spec Miata driver – got me into this whole, ‘Hey, lets take your car to the track,’ thing, so I did a track day in a regular sedan.

“[Holifield’s] dad was the one who decided to buy a Spec Miata,” Biggar continues. “We kind of crewed for him for a season, then Phil started driving, and I said, ‘This is too fun to pass up.’ So I decided to start driving right after that. I’ve been [racing] since.”

That was about eight years ago, and Biggar still does most of his racing in Northern California at tracks like Sonoma Raceway, Laguna Seca and Thunderhill, although he did recently enter the SCCA Hoosier Racing Tire Super Tour at Buttonwillow. The Sunday morning race at Buttonwillow was one where his knowledge and interest in weather came into play.

“There’s a lot of science and math [in meteorology] and some of that translates over into the race car,” he says. “[Meteorology] is obviously a lot of forecasting and studying weather patterns – we go to college to get a degree in atmospheric science or meteorology. One thing I’ve noticed translates to Spec Miata is track temperature and how it’s affecting the engine performance and tires. [The Sunday race at Buttonwillow] was kind of interesting because during part of our race, we suddenly got a bunch of clouds covering the track, so parts of the track were under pretty good shade. It wasn’t making too much of a difference, but it’s that kind of stuff that interests me; I have a huge fascination with small changes and how they affect things.”

Biggar’s proudest moment behind the wheel came in being part of the E3-winning RA Motorsports team at the 2017 NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill. The prior year, their sister car won the race and his team was running in the top three until they lost an engine. The 2016 race was one where his meteorology skills definitely came into play in helping the car run at the front.

“Two years ago, I predicted we’re looking at rain coming in,” he recalls. “I had just done my first stint and I was trying to sleep before my night stint and they called me out and said, ‘Hey, we need some help, it might be raining.’ So I had Doppler open and I started kind of working through the forecast. ‘OK guys, this is just a little bit of rain; if we can survive on slicks, we’ll be OK.’ So we decided to stay out while all of our competitors came in and changed to rain tires. It dried up for about an hour and everybody’s rain tires got torn to pieces, but we were still out there on slicks and we set some good lap times. Then the main rain came, which we were expecting. That kind of put us on top, which we were very happy about.”

Biggar says in addition to the competition, he loves the camaraderie of the Spec Miata paddock and the way everybody helps out like family. Spare parts are no problem, because if one guy doesn’t have it, another will. And if somebody has a big problem, everybody is there to lend a hand. He says he also loves the support from Mazda.

If you make it out to the SCCA National Championship Runoffs at Sonoma this year, keep an eye out for Biggar and his Spec Miata with the NBC Peacock logo on it. He’ll be the one hoping for rain.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

There used to be another meteorologist racing an SM. Curtis Goertz as I recall, was from the quad cities Iowa area. He chased tornados and other crazy things. His dad started racing back in the 50's or 60's in Spridgets IIRC.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

If I could start my career over .. I would be a Florida weather man. I would just give it a 50% chance of rain from March to October.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

They are accurate 50% of the time........ It will be dark tonite ;-)

• Danica Davison likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KAGEY

KAGEY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:DMVR
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:43

Dave I'm still in Des Moines doing TV weather until I need botox.  Presently spinning wrenches for my son who won the rallycross National Championship last year (proud dad) and we just finished building a Spec Solo Coupe.  I would give it a year and I'll be calling you for rentals.  

Kurtis Goertz

• Dave Cox likes this

BorisB

BorisB

Polak Mafia Drug Lord and Avid Stamp Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:102

If I could start my career over .. I would want to be a Traffic Vixen. 

• Mike Collins, Danica Davison and Jaysz28 like this

Boris Badenof

Autotechnik's pet that sleeps in the crate outside

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users