• Car Number:10

Man. I get no respekt!

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

For the record, I only dive bomb for P12 and higher.

http://jenkinsracing.com

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999

For the record, I only dive bomb for P12 and higher.

Sounds about right. Because in your area of the country, besides the June Sprints,  P12 would be the battle for not finishing last lol

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Sounds about right. Because in your area of the country, besides the June Sprints,  P12 would be the battle for not finishing last lol

Man. I get no respekt!

Duh, and you can't figure out why. 

• Jim Drago likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Duh, and you can't figure out why.

Please enlighten me? I feel very lonely :(

• Preston Pardus likes this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Please enlighten me? I feel very lonely :(

Slinger (WI) Superseal Miller Lite National practice. 32 cars within .4 second 11.4 to 11.8 seconds around the Worlds fastest quarter mile with a track record of 11.09 seconds, including Daytona 400 winner Erik Jones. :yep:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Still have no idea why Carbotech users choose to run the XP 10/8 Combo????. I happily ran Carbotechs for many years and that combo didn't even have enough stopping power in the rain. 

Nothing against Carbotech, they are really good brakes and I liked their performance, but that combination is for wussies!!!!

Seriously you REALLY need to TEST out all their brake compounds and figure out how you reduce the time under braking, because every milli-second under braking is a milli-second squandered at the highest speed entering into the braking zone. And Milli-seconds at top speeds add up turn by turn, lap by lap. And if you look at most margins of victory in the majority of events, except for a few exceptions, mutiple turns x 15 - 20 laps starts to add up really fast and might mean the difference between 2nd and challenging for first.

But of course this is true for all brake manufacturers, and all brake compounds. and all combinations of compounds. If you haven't spent a few days testing compound combinations at a track and examining the data, you have no idea what you are leaving on the table.  Just sayin................

Personally I am very happy with my G-Loc brakes but it has taken me and several other fast drivers a lot of time to sort out the right combo for different tracks:- tracks with high threshold braking, tracks which favor progressive braking, tracks which favor trail braking and of course determining the best compound combo under full wet conditions, as well as semi wet drying conditions. All of these circumstances provide opportunities for optimization

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Sounds to me like you just lack finesse. ;)
  • Danica Davison likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Still have no idea why Carbotech users choose to run the XP 10/8 Combo????. I happily ran Carbotechs for many years and that combo didn't even have enough stopping power in the rain. 

I seem to recall that the former owners frequently recommended that combo.  Perhaps they meant it as a starting point.  That said, I suspect that lots of drivers start with a compound and then develop their driving style around that compound and those characteristics.

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

I seem to recall that the former owners frequently recommended that combo.  Perhaps they meant it as a starting point.  That said, I suspect that lots of drivers start with a compound and then develop their driving style around that compound and those characteristics.

I think budget racers who may not be sponsored by G-Loc don't want to buy $1000 dollars worth of pads to see which ones they like and just take the best advice they can find. :)

• Steve Scheifler likes this

http://jenkinsracing.com

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I’ll put it in simple combos so people can save money trying. Best all around combo is 16/12 g-loc for an nb car.
12-10 for a 1.6 car. 8/8 for wrl,lemons,chump ect and 6-6 for autocross/aggressive daily
  • Ron Alan, Danny Steyn, Danica Davison and 3 others like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Chris...did the NA 1.8  stop ok?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
Was less aggressive than I typically run. It stopped I just pushed harder
  • Ron Alan likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Sounds to me like you just lack finesse. ;)

bahahahaha, dead.

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

I’ll put it in simple combos so people can save money trying. Best all around combo is 16/12 g-loc for an nb car.
12-10 for a 1.6 car. 8/8 for wrl,lemons,chump ect and 6-6 for autocross/aggressive daily

I run 12-10 on my 99 actually. Willing to try going up to a 16 next time I need to put on brakes, but I like what I have on now too. Havent tried anything different, but I like them WAY better than hawk DTCs and a little bit better than the blues.

I also go 8-8 on the Chump car too and it works perfectly.

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Was less aggressive than I typically run. It stopped I just pushed harder

Not that we were testing anything but you just ran what was on the car! 10/8 BTW. And you validated my point earlier...any pad will stop a car...limiting factor is always rubber on the road! Pedal pressure(FEEL)is individual...more aggresive pads just take less! And for the budget conscience more aggressive pads typically dont last as long(nor do the rotors). And then there is modulation...

For what it is worth...switching from Carbotech to G-Loc I've noticed a shorter life? Remember these pads are identical material(so i'm told)...anyone else notice this?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

EMatoy

EMatoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Region:Detroit

For what it is worth...switching from Carbotech to G-Loc I've noticed a shorter life? Remember these pads are identical material(so i'm told)...anyone else notice this?

I tried a set of G-Loc’s Last year that were supposed to be the same as the carbotech’s I had been running. Felt great for a weekend. Then they were total garbage (had about 1/2 the torque as when used the weekend before). I contacted them- was told to send pictures to them. They said must be glazed and instructed me to deglaze and swap inner and outers with each other. I threw them away and bought more Carbotechs. There was something clearly different between them.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

A bit surprised with the 1.6 but I don’t have any quantitative info the the the G-locs to judge just how much difference there is between 12 & 10. Don’t they publish that stuff?
Even more surprised by the NB combo despite having less experience on that platform. Danny, is that closer to what you run?

Stopping is essentially just straight-line cornering, the G’s/acceleration is just longitudinal rather than lateral. That IS the point of the classic friction circle after all. We’ll never see a circle because our engines make no power, but for cornering, braking and any combination of those the idea is the same, get all four contact patches operating very close to their limits of adhesion while maintaining control. If you rely more than necessary on the fronts then you are leaving something on the table, PERIOD, I don’t really care how you drive. Someone offer evidence, or even a good rational explanation why that’s wrong. I’m listening. There's a lot to be said for modulation and trail-braking friendly compounds but those fall under “while maintaining control” and don’t change the fundamentals.

It’s also worth noting that the flatter your car stops (meaning less nose-dive) the less, and less abrupt, the weight transfer off the fronts returning to the rear as you get off the brakes, making the transition approaching and entering corners smoother. Again, the friction circle, and keeping the work split as evenly as possible between all four tires as much as possible. It starts with physics and trying to outsmart it is almost always a losing battle. TO BE CLEAR, I’m not saying that any of the above mentioned combinations don’t accomplish that with a given setup on a given car, but I am saying that any comments about the rears not mattering much are wrong, and with a few extreme exceptions there is no need to vary that balance by track.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

bahahahaha, dead.

I’m glad someone was amused, I thought it was damn funny!

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

For some reason on the newer VVT we get rear brake lock-up under threshold breaking...I did not get rear brake lock-up on my 99 nor my 2001 VVT...not sure what other that are driving VVT's are experiencing. 

I agree with Steve in my older VVT I was able to get the car to squat under breaking but I can not get that balance on my new VVT 2003 car..

I guess I have to play with same compounds. I am trying Glocs and another brand during test dat at NJMP

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users